Hypothyroid and INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbam

Hi,
It has been a long time since I have been on this forum.

I had triple valve replacement 9 yrs ago and have also been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The last three blood draws that I have had, have been low for me 1.8 and 1.9. My range is 2.3-3.5. I'm just wondering if my thyroid my be off?

Personally, I would be concerned with an INR that is that low. Were these last three draws weekly? Monthly? Quarterly? Were any medical professionals involved in dealing with these results? I trusted my meter 18 or so months ago - and wound up with a TIA, with INR from a blood draw showing 1.7. I wouldn't mess around with an INR that low (you didn't indicate what valve(s) you had, but I'm guessing that 9 years ago it probably wasn't On-X, and I'm also assuming that with THREE valves, your risk is higher than it would be if you only had one or two valves).

As far as your thyroid is concerned -- it should be pretty easy to get your thyroid levels checked. It may be that, if your metabolism is slow (as a result of hypothyroidism), the blood may not be coursing through your liver quite as much as it might if you were very active.

It sounds to me like you should check with a medical professional -- both about the history of low INRs and to do some thyroid blood tests, if this is an area of concern for you.

Back