Human Cadaver Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onset

Hi,

I need to make my decision between a tissue valve or mechanical valve. There has been much discussion about animal tissue valves, but little said about human cadaver valves. Does anyone have experience with human valve replacement? If so, I like to hear your story. Thanks Everyone.

Hi Onset,

I've had my human tissue valve 10 years today. It has served me well and I've had no issues whatsoever. I had my surgery at age 44 years. I'm expecting to have replacement surgery later this year and am planning to have a mechanical valve this time around. At the time I had surgery I was told to expect 15 years, but I now know this wasa little unrealistic, and am grateful for the good nine and a half years I have have had.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Phil.

Perhaps, Phil could give you more information about a human valve. As I understand, they are used more frequently when an individual is at higher risk of contracting endocarditis (a bacterial infection of the heart tissue). Discussions of longevity rely upon statistical studies and predict pretty well the experience of groups but they don't tell you how long a particular valve will last in your chest. Because of the changes in the technologies of heart valve preservation and construction it is difficult to make a simple across the board comparison. Statistically, mechanical valves last the longest unless something, such as tissue growth, inhibit their function. Animal tissue valve, statistically, last less long but there are no statistics for the newest valves. Preserved human valves are probably better understood but how long they last depends upon how they function in an individual body but tend to last a shorter time in younger people. There are just too many variables to know which valve will function best for the longest time in any specific individual. Each valve has its benefits but each also has deficits. You can be reasonably certain that any of these replacement valve will serve you better than your damaged one. The decision is of course made more complicated with the discussion of anticoagulant therapy. By and large, tens if not hundreds of millions of people around the world live normal lives with ACT. Some people are still troubled at the thought and this colors their valve choice. You must always keep in mind, however, that there are no certainties but we all live our lives with uncertainty whether or not we have failing heart valves. I would suggest you speak with your surgeon and ask first whether there is one type of valve that he or she feels best addresses your needs. Beyond that, you can ask for their recommendation and then ask the reasons for which they made that recommendation. As frustrating as it is, our surgeons are our experts and without years of study we cannot make the most informed decision on our own.

Best Wishes.

Larry

Everyone has given good reples, but it USED to be human valves ( Homograft) were used because before the tissue valves started being treated for calcification (since the 80s) Human valves used to last longer on average. BUt since the treated animal valves last as long or longer than cadaver valves and they (manufactured valves)are easier to have on hand in every size possibly needed since people have to donate cadaver valves, and if possible they would use the entire donated heart, before using it for "parts"

Also it tends to be easier to replace animal valves IF it needs a REDO, they (cadaver) usually are only used for certain cases

Last edited:
The repair done at Cleveland Clinic failed within the first 4 wks

I ask because I thought you were referencing a future aortic valve replacement when you asked in Valve selection about tissue valve longevity.

I had my avr done in St. Louis. Would you return to Cleveland or look somewhere else to have it done?

I'll stay in St Louis to have the surgery. Who did your surgery?
I ask because I thought you were referencing a future aortic valve replacement when you asked in Valve selection about tissue valve longevity.

I had my avr done in St. Louis. Would you return to Cleveland or look somewhere else to have it done?

I loved my Homograft! It was awesome, but they like a bioprosthetic valves have a limited life. Mine lasted 12 years, which is the average or mean mortality age for a Homograft according to Dr Cosgrove in a speech he gave many years ago.

It sounds like you are researching a mitral valve. I am no expert, but I have never heard of a Homograft in a mitral position.

Back