How to Slow Rapid Heartbeat?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WARFARIN interferes with TUMERIC, do not take if if you are on the Pill, 100% BAD interaction
Magnesium is VERY GOOD for humans, since our diets tend to be full/packed with Sodium, which is everywhere you look becuase
is added to "enhance" acquired taste.
Thanks for reminding me about the interactions between turmeric and warfarin. I didn't check, and didn't take any.
The neurologist who told me to take it either had little or no knowledge of anticoagulation and interactions (he's a neurologist, after all), or disliked me so much that he KNEW what he was doing (perhaps - I'm not the easiest patient).

The study that I provided a link to was: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2014/957362/.

Unfortunately, this was not peer reviewed and, apparently, the author(s) paid to have this published.

There are also links to articles related to warfarin and interactions.

Use at your own risk....

Interesting piece. I noted that garlic was a major interactive risk w. warfarin. I have been taking garlic pills to help lower cholesterol—which was wayyy too high a few months back. Have not noticed a major change in my INR though.

When they say that a given herb “interacts” w. warfarin I assume they mean that it can alter your INR (?). If that’s truly the nature of the warning couldn’t that be monitored by checking a INR a few days after starting the new herb? Or, is there an increased chance of an incident even if you’re in range?

Incidentally, I have been running high lately (hovering around 3.0-3.5) so I have been testing every other day just to keep a lookout, but, I’m going through strips like crazy! Just wondering if I would do just as well testing twice per week?

Pellicle, if you wouldn’t mind reposting that clip of your rubber band methodology I would greatly appreciate it. Have been having to lance my fingers sometimes 2 & 3 times just to get a big enough drop of blood (I know about the 15 second rule).

Incidentally, I have been running high lately (hovering around 3.0-3.5) so I have been testing every other day just to keep a lookout, but, I’m going through strips like crazy! Just wondering if I would do just as well testing twice per week?

Any dose change takes 2 to 4 day ish to show
testing every day may give you some peace of mind but its not the best way to show a trend

twice a week is better, ( still excessive ) until you're back on target then once per week is optimal

Your high is my comfort zone and i'm in the Aortic position
I see you're in the Mitral from your Bio, i wouldn't consider that to be high

Last edited:
Some green stuff will change your INR overnight -- I used to occasionally have greens, and noticed the drop in INR pretty quickly. Some things may not act as quickly.

I agree - twice a week is probably not a bad place to start. Warfarin takes 3-5 days, or so, for its effects to show.

Any dose change takes 2 to 4 day ish to show
testing every day may give you some peace of mind but its not the best way to show a trend

twice a week is better, ( still excessive ) until you're back on target then once per week is optimal

Your high is my comfort zone and i'm in the Aortic position
I see you're in the Mitral from your Bio, i wouldn't consider that to be high

I have the On-X valve—which is *SUPPOSED* to allow for lower range of Coumadin, but, I also know about the case posted on here where the patient w. an On-X had problems w. the lower dosing...which is always in the back of my mind.

A world class surgeon at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) told me that w. the On-X I need to stay closer to 2.0. He said that if we go much higher we don’t know how many micro-brain bleeds we’re causing. I have also read that higher doses of Coumadin can expedite Alzheimer’s (don’t recall the source) & I have also had some in the medical field conform that that’s a possibility.

For me, my optimal is 2.5, but I am also fine w. 3.0. From there I want to watch it more closely, but I appreciate y’all’s input & will scale back the tests some.

Some green stuff will change your INR overnight -- I used to occasionally have greens, and noticed the drop in INR pretty quickly. Some things may not act as quickly.

I agree - twice a week is probably not a bad place to start. Warfarin takes 3-5 days, or so, for its effects to show.

Good to know about the greens just in case I test very high. I did know about the hot-steeped green tea, but not about the quickness of the results w. greens.

I haven't heard of micro-brain bleeds. I suspect that this is because few of us have micro-brains.

Perhaps an INR that is dangerously high (8 or 9 or higher) can cause brain bleeds, but with an INR that high, you'll have a lot of problems in addition to possible brain bleeds.

2.5 - 3.5 is pretty safe -- even for On-X valves.

Interesting piece. I noted that garlic was a major interactive risk w. warfarin. I have been taking garlic pills to help lower cholesterol—which was wayyy too high a few months back. Have not noticed a major change in my INR though.

When they say that a given herb “interacts” w. warfarin I assume they mean that it can alter your INR (?). If that’s truly the nature of the warning couldn’t that be monitored by checking a INR a few days after starting the new herb? Or, is there an increased chance of an incident even if you’re in range?

Pellicle, if you wouldn’t mind reposting that clip of your rubber band methodology I would greatly appreciate it. Have been having to lance my fingers sometimes 2 & 3 times just to get a big enough drop of blood (I know about the 15 second rule).

That article is BS in my opinion. It says cannabis has a "major" effect and there a lot of people taking medical pot these days with no reports of problems. As indicated by Protime, it's not peer reviewed and the author paid to have it posted.

I routinely eat greens and salads and drink cranberry juice with no INR problems. I'm known for the excellence of my collards, mustards and turnip greens. I don't binge though. I make them and wait a few days before I have them as leftovers. Moderation and variety in food is the key to health IMHO :)

Maybe if you ate the pot - rather than smoking it, there would be some effects. Maybe that's what the author meant (and there are a lot of edibles out there that contain marijuana).

It's not just moderation in diet that's important-- it's consistency. If you eat a lot of greens, you should do it daily so you can adjust your dosage to compensate for any drop in INR as a result of eating the greens.

If you regularly drink Cranberry juice, you've probably already adjusted your dosage to accommodate for any effects that you're having from the juice.

Maybe if you ate the pot - rather than smoking it, there would be some effects. Maybe that's what the author meant (and there are a lot of edibles out there that contain marijuana).

It's not just moderation in diet that's important-- it's consistency. If you eat a lot of greens, you should do it daily so you can adjust your dosage to compensate for any drop in INR as a result of eating the greens.

If you regularly drink Cranberry juice, you've probably already adjusted your dosage to accommodate for any effects that you're having from the juice.

I don't diet my dose at all.

I dose my diet, but dose adjustments are infrequent and short term since last September.

I eat "greens" or salad regularly, but don't pay attention to frequency. It's not every day. I do regularly eat green food but don't track it. I don't make any conscious effort to diet my dose, unless I am out of range, then I may skip a green food or eat one on purpose, but not more than a day or two. I drink cranberry juice, but not every day. I like a glass of juice in the morning and variety is the spice of life :) The only food I eat less than I want due to warfarin is grapefruit, per my cardio, but I still have one every so often.

Latest posts

Back