How to read an EKG!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sonya489

Hi,
I just got back from primary care and they did and ekg because of my echo report.
It says:
sinus rhythm: POSSIBLE OLD ANTERIOR INFRACTION

VENT RATE: 74
DURATION..
P: 106
QRS: 78

INTERVALS:

PR: 132
QT: 372
QTc: 397

AXES...

P: 77
QRS: 83
T: 72

I also had them do left and right arm blood pressure that reading was left arm: 112/80
right arm: 132/80

This seems like a bit to much differences on these.

Does anyone know how to interpet this stuff!!!!!!!!
C-YA
Sonya

I just want to know if someone could tell me is they have heard of my type of echo reports causing a heart attack. In other words has anyone had a heart attack due to atrium enllargement and or regurgitation.
C-YA
Sonya

Calm down Sonya. I *have* heard of people having a heart attack from ANXIETY. You really need to have your results interpreted by your cardiologist. Will he respond by telephone? Or have his nurse call in his place ? I think I see why they don't let the test operator interpret results for patients. I'm surprised they gave you your results WITHOUT and interpretation from the Dr.

'AL'

HEY,
The EKG was done in the primary cares office the Dr. is the one that told me. He decided for sure that I needed a referal to a cardiologist with the echo report and the ekg both showing problems. I am 41 years old & I thought I was healthy my weight is normal for my height, I don't have high cholesterol,no high blood pressure,and I'm very active with my children.So much for thinking that your healthy! I can't see the cardiologist until next Thursday afternoon it's going to be a long week.........
:rolleyes:
Thanks,
C-YA
Sonya

Hi Sonya-

With all the things that my husband has been through, we've discovered the most important thing that keeps us from "going over the edge" and that is to not worry before it's warranted. And it's only warranted in rare instances and for about two minutes. Say, two minutes before surgery. Otherwise it robs you of living your life and taking it a little step at a time. I purposely do not clutter my mind with my husband's test results and neither does he. That's what the cardiologist and PCP and surgeon are in their professions for. They're the ones who are highly paid to interpret, so let them interpret. They will hone it down and give you the most salient points of your medical problems and care. Make sure you have the best doctors you can get for your problems, and let yourself relax so you can enjy things as best as you can. As always, if anything seems like it's not right and you feel physically uncomfortable, call the doctor.

You will know a lot more after you see the cardiologist. Then you'll have the knowlege that you need to take it the next step, if that's warranted.

Take care and be well. We'll be here to support you. I wish you the best.

You're not the first one to have this problem, and you're not the first one to panic! Calm down and think about a few things. Your primary care doctor must not be too worried if you aren't seeing the cardiologist until Thursday. If it's an emergency, they can get you in much sooner than that. I had left side enlargement for 22 years before my surgery, high cholesterol, and higher blood pressure than yours before and after the surgery, so those things don't necessarily put you in immediate danger.

Although several people on this forum seem to have heard that an enlarged heart won't ever return to normal size, mine did after the surgery, even though it had been enlarged for 22 years. My last echo was marvelous - normal heart size, no leaks, valve working great.

Hi,
I have calmed down much more today now that the initial shock has worn off! I will have plenty of questions for the cardio.
I want to know how much damage there is to my heart and which one of my problems started all of this. I know there will be plenty of upcoming test to look forward to & I'm not to crazy about test!
Is there a test that tells them aprrox. when the heart attack happened I don't mean an exact day but say how long ago like 4 months,6 months that kind of thing. Thanks everyone for all the help!
C-YA
Sonya
:D

Back