How to lower inr

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take less warfarin :)

However, the best way is to ask your cardiologist through their nurse. I had an operation last year and my surgeon wanted my INR at 1.5 (I think) and he deferred to my cardiologist as to how to get there. I called his nurse and they gave me instructions over the phone and in the mail. They told me when to stop and when to start and when to test.

My inr today is 3.5 and I am having cataract removed on Thursday
I want yo get my inr below 3. Any suggestions how to do it.
basically (as you heard in the other thread) your INR is not important for a cataract surgery, however if you want to lower it for the surgery I suggest you skip a dose and I'm sure that it will drop from 3.5 to 3 between now (its Wed here in Australia, probably late Tue where you are) and Thursday. If you like, (and if you take your dose in the evenings, make the dose after that dose (only if its before the surgery) half then perhaps after surgery take 50% more on your next dose and resume your normal dose.

If you have weekly measurements and have this on a spread sheet it can help you to learn exactly what to do when you need to.

Try this blog post of mine for my "how and why" of that

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2017/12/perioperative-management-of-inr.html
Best Wishes

Okay, maybe this was hinted at. Listen to what your doctor wants done and question if have any questions. Asking others isn't the same as asking the doctor. My inr range is 2.5-3.5. The doctor had me hold the coumadin for 2 days and then they did the test on Monday before I went it to have the defibrilator changed (battery went low after 7 years which is the expected time). I questioned about antibiotics as usually supposed to take it before any procedure and hour before. The nurse of the doctor said no need to. Questioned the doctor before having done and here found out the defibrilator is basically enclosed in a "sock" that is saturated with antibiotics.
Don't know if a cataract is different then this or not but had an eye implant lens put in and they had me hold it for 2 days before procedure.
So do only what the doctor wants you to do.

Latest posts

Back