How to Lower Cholesterol on Warfarin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeskillet

Sooo, my annual blood work showed my bad cholesterol was pretty high: 150!

I have been looking at various supplements for lowering LDL, but the “Caution” label always advises people on warfarin to not take it (e.g., garlic, etc.).

So then, I was wondering what - if any - supplements might be okay for lowering cholesterol? Or, if y’all might have any suggestions (I realize healthy diet is the best route, but just wondering if there’s anything those on Coumadin might use that I am unaware of?).

Thank you in advance!

What about conventional methods like atorvastatin?
Mines highish even on that stuff and they tried doubling my dose to 80mg but the side effects werent worth it, so I went back to 40mg. Just tiredness no muscle pains.
We have a breakfast cereal here with added plant sterols that is meant to reduce it by 9%, I tried it for a bit but at 4 times the price of regular cereal I gave up.

Here's a good article on ways to lower cholesterol naturally: https://www.pritikin.com/your-healt...-tips-for-improving-your-ldl-cholesterol.html
(short version: diet, psyllium fiber, plant sterols)

Another supplement to consider is Red Yeast Rice. As I understand it, it is chemically the same as Lovastatin, but generally a lower dosage than a prescription statin. My father-in law was having trouble with his cholesterol and went through all the statins and was having horrible side effects. My wife finally got him taking Red Yeast Rice and his cholesterol has been controlled w/o side effects for many years now.

I'm not aware of any precautions or interactions w/ warfarin, but suggest you do your own research.

I had never given it much research and if its been discussed here before then much attention either but that Psyllium fibre looks promising and you can buy 1 kg of columbian bam bam 😜aka Psyllium powder here for $25

From Gordos link-
daily dose of about 10 grams of psyllium husk lowered harmful LDL cholesterol 13 mg/dL when taken for at least three weeks

Sooo, my annual blood work showed my bad cholesterol was pretty high: 150!

I have been looking at various supplements for lowering LDL, but the “Caution” label always advises people on warfarin to not take it (e.g., garlic, etc.).

So then, I was wondering what - if any - supplements might be okay for lowering cholesterol? Or, if y’all might have any suggestions (I realize healthy diet is the best route, but just wondering if there’s anything those on Coumadin might use that I am unaware of?).

Thank you in advance!
Has more to do with the kinds of foods you are taking in on a daily basis. Best advice, talk to a dietician or nutritionist. Either one would be better than trying to reduce in the dark, so to speak. And being on Warafarin(coumadin) you should be more careful due to how different things affect the INR.

Thanks much everyone. I forgot about fiber and I have been running low on that for quite a while. Could very well be the culprit!

Also eating more oatmeal now😳!

Seems like I also heard that Omega-3’s lower LDL (?).

Latest posts

Back