How often you take Echocardiogram ultrasound test

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been less than two years since my surgery. Mechanical aortic valve. At my one year cardiologist follow up, he had me get an echo, which he reviewed and we discussed during my appointment. All good. I specifically asked him how often he planned to have me get echos. He said that because I have a mechanical valve, the guidelines only call for an echo about every 10 years, but we can do them more frequently if I like. I plan to get one done every 2 to 3 years. If I wanted to wait 10 years, he would be fine with that too.

I am cynical about these appointments because I dont care to pay 45
I assume that is your copay for your cardiology appointments. That is a bargain. I pay much more than that, unless I hit my $10,500 deductible, then it's a $35 copay. But until that point, I pay the entire bill, which is well over $200. You have a different situation than mine and more complicated, being that yours is mitral and you also had bypass surgery. There is probably good reason why he wants you to get an echo yearly. Echos use ultrasound- no side effects, no radiation and no dye. And, honestly, for just $45, that is a great value to be evaluated by a cardiologist. For only $45, to get the benefit of all the info provided by an ultrasound and to get the expert consult, that is well worth it. For those of us in this special club, discovering issues early and taking care of them, before they cause irreversible damage, is critical.

My cardiologist told me to see me for blood tests and an echo once a year. The cost is symbolic with public insurance at 25 euros and 70 euros if you do it privately. If there is no financial issue, I think that once a year is something that could prevent something like an aneurysm.

I see the cardiologist every 6 months and have an echo once a year. I personally would rather know if things are changing than be surprised.

The reason he advised an echo is because I told him that I am short of breath, but he knows that is a chronic condition from before surgery. My PCP thinks it is from asthma or allergy and I agree. She knows me. He sees me for 5-10 minutes and says almost nothing. I learn as much on this forum as from him. And he is the fifth one I have had in 8 years. One doc in the same office rudely walked out the door in the middle of the visit on 2 occasions. Every word cost them two dollars, it seems.
To me $45. is good money, and I am retired. Literally, he doesn't say ANYthing worth it. (Next year the copay is cheaper). I will try another cardio office.

I emailed my new PCP who I am supposed to go to instead of a cardiologist (recently retired). She has been off for the holidays and an asst. responded. After going over my case with Cardio Dept she said they recommended 10 years from most recent echo which was weeks after release from hospital surgery event.

Latest posts

Back