How much Warfarin Amount do you take?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an interesting thread. I usually take 7.5 mg per day plus aspirin but lately now do 7.5 mg all days, except twice a week 5 mg. Plus aspirin. I am only 4 ft 10 and 100 lbs.

I'm on 5mg a day 5 days a week and 7.5 2 days a week. Just got my own meter so I look forward to testing every week from here on out.
I was on that same schedule for many years. Into my 14th year with my St Jude mitral valve and have now cut down to 5mg 7 days a week. Don’t know if it is age ( less exercise) or diet.

I usually take 7.5 mg per day plus aspirin but lately now do 7.5 mg all days, except twice a week 5 mg. Plus aspirin. I am only 4 ft 10 and 100 lbs.
If you are taking 7.5mg 5 days and 5mg 2 days (total of 47.5mg/week), to reduce the variability in the day-to-day dose, why not consider taking 7mg 5 days and 6mg 2 days (total of 47mg/week)? This would also save you from cutting a 1mg pill for the .5mg to add to the 7mg pill (unless you are able to buy a 7.5mg or .5mg pill?).

My wife, who is 4ft 9 and 100lbs takes 6mg 5 days and 7mg 2 days. Her range is 2.5-3.5.

I'm a new one here to this site. I do home testing as I live on a an island, completely off grid. I've lived here close to half a century. I believe the amount of your Warfrin corresponds to the amount of vitamin K you injest I know roughly what amounts of Vitamin K are being ingested so my Warfrin basically stays the same.

If you are taking 7.5mg 5 days and 5mg 2 days (total of 47.5mg/week), to reduce the variability in the day-to-day dose, why not consider taking 7mg 5 days and 6mg 2 days (total of 47mg/week)? This would also save you from cutting a 1mg pill for the .5mg to add to the 7mg pill (unless you are able to buy a 7.5mg or .5mg pill?).

My wife, who is 4ft 9 and 100lbs takes 6mg 5 days and 7mg 2 days. Her range is 2.5-3.5.
Thanks! I have 2.5 mg pills so I don’t cut them.

Interesting! This is the first time I’ve learned 2.5 mg tablets existed. If you don’t mind being asked what is the brand name?

I never knew that larger than 2.5mg pills existed. Can I request larger ones? I take 10mg each day and 12.5mg one day a week. 6'3" 175lbs and I hover right around 2.2-2.5, target range is 2.0-3.0 with my St. Jude mechanical aortic valve and ascending aortic replacement/graft.

Last edited:
that is very surprising because warfarin usually comes on 1, 5 and 10 mgs. tablets. Maybe you could ask druggist about what’s available In your area.

Interesting! This is the first time I’ve learned 2.5 mg tablets existed. If you don’t mind being asked what is the brand name?
I can check in the morning but they are generic. I’ve always had 2.5 and I have been on warfarin or Jantoven.

I think that I've written this before -- I'm currently taking 8 mg/day. Over the past few months, it's run from 7, to 7.5, to 8, depending on the results of my weekly test. These changes were slow (I didin't jump from7 to 8, for example), and careful. My target is between 2.5 and 3.5 -- if I got below 2.5, I would slightly increase dosage if this lasted for more than a week, if it ticked 3.5, I'd slightly reduce the dose. The goal is to stay near 3.0 all the time
Hello all, first month in from having my On-x
Aortic Valve implanted in. We go every once a week on Wednesday's to have blood drawn for INR level checked. The first week was one 4 mg of Coumadin, a week later they said take three 4 mg pills and then two 4 mg pills after the third day at 4pm. After second week and a er visit they said the INR was a 4.5 and to stop taking it for a few days then back to two. 4 mg pills.We went today one month after surgery and they said the level was a 2.2 but really needed to be a 2.5 to 3.5 with a mechanical valve patient. So now they said start taking 2 and half 4 mg pills until next Wednesday. Anybody have somewhat of the same experience ? Does it get adjusted to a certain amount and will there be less blood drawn visits.
I was on 15-20mg daily after surgery, l had at a time been to 30mg. had my surgery 22yrs ago, l went with the Vampires (blood collection agencies) for the next 12yrs...what a bloody disaster. INR's are so vitally important, don't let a lab or jnr doc control your future, buy your own machine...their a god send. They save, time, money n most importantly your veins.
You get to know your own body...if lm to low l get Lil chest flutters n if lm high l start to notice small bruising...l know it's time to check inr.
Good luck on your journey 👍 🤗

I was on 15-20mg daily after surgery, l had at a time been to 30mg. had my surgery 22yrs ago, l went with the Vampires (blood collection agencies) for the next 12yrs...what a bloody disaster. INR's are so vitally important, don't let a lab or jnr doc control your future, buy your own machine...their a god send. They save, time, money n most importantly your veins.
You get to know your own body...if lm to low l get Lil chest flutters n if lm high l start to notice small bruising...l know it's time to check inr.
Good luck on your journey 👍 🤗

if lm to low l get Lil chest flutters
Can you please explain what you mean by "Lil chest flutters"? My understanding is that one can't "feel" or "sense" a low INR unless it's too late and you are are actually experiencing symptoms of a blood clot which would require medical intervention.

Can you please explain what you mean by "Lil chest flutters"? My understanding is that one can't "feel" or "sense" a low INR unless it's too late and you are are actually experiencing symptoms of a blood clot which would require medical intervention.
Flutter = slight unusual n quickening heartbeat...it happens when blood is too thick for the valve.

Warfarin does not change your blood's "thickness". It has no effect on the viscosity or density of your blood, only its ability to form clots. You feel "lil chest flutters" probably because you scared yourself with your low INR :)

Warfarin does not change your blood's "thickness". It has no effect on the viscosity or density of your blood, only its ability to form clots. You feel "lil chest flutters" probably because you scared yourself with your low INR :)
I was just putting it in layman's terms, it's how my surgeon explained it to me when it first started happening....eg when your levels are low, means your blood is sticking to your valve.

Don’t I just hate it when an anti-coagulant is referred to as “blood thinner”. It’s very confusing. Does the new doc mean anti-platelet or warfarin? Thanks Tom in Mo I agree totally with you.

I have a On-X Mitral Valve and take 27.5 mg Warfarin a week - Mon, Wed and Friday 2.5mg and 5.0mg on the other days - INR 3.0 to 3.5

I am 5 months post op- no one could have prepared me for this recovery. It sucks, I used to be a vegan but had to change because of Vitamin K unless they wanted to take a bazillion milligrams of warfarin. I had my surgery at Mayo clinic in Rochester Minnesota and they want my INR between 2.0 and 3.0 for the past three weeks I have been at 2.2 taking 4 mg of warfarin a day, and a low-dose baby aspirin

Latest posts

Back