How long has your present valve been implanted? Poll

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long has your present valve been implanted? Poll

• I have had my valve for 15-20 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duffey

Me and Granbon
Supporting Member
Recognizing that several members have had multiple replacements, I wanted to get an idea of the length of time member's have had with their current valve. This poll will ask you to mark whether your current valve is mechanical or non-mechanical and also mark the length of time since implantation. Your response will be visible to all, and you can view the results by clicking on the number in the right hand column.

Last edited:
I just added my response. For those interested in the specifics, I've had my tissue valve for almost 3 years now, and I'm going to keep it for as long as it will let me.

Not sure how to vote in this poll.

I have had 2 mechanical aortic valves.
1st one lasted 10 yrs.
2nd one is 3 1/2 yrs and counting.

Recognizing that several members have had multiple replacements, I wanted to get an idea of the length of time member's have had with their current valve. This poll will ask you to mark whether your current valve is mechanical or non-mechanical and also mark the length of time since implantation. Your response will be visible to all, and you can view the results by clicking on the number in the right hand column.

Is there a way to add for more than 1 OHS to replace the same valve, what your other previous valves were and how long they lasted/ That might be pretty helpful, since i would be good to see how many tissue valves lasted how long or short or if you have a mech now, if it the 2nd mech in the same position or if your previous mech valve lasted 10 or 20 years I know you cant add tons of choices, maybe just 1 choice for had REDO valves and then details could be added in the posts, here like 6 years replaced because of BE etc.

Last edited:
Is there a way to add for more than 1 OHS to replace the same valve, what your other previous valves were and how long they lasted/ That might be pretty helpful, since i would be good to see how many tissue valves lasted how long or short or if you have a mech now, if it the 2nd mech in the same position or if your previous mech valve lasted 10 or 20 years I know you cant add tons of choices, maybe just 1 choice for had REDO valves and then details could be added in the posts, here like 6 years replaced because of BE etc.

Lyn, there aren't enough options offered to include the information you ask about in one poll. Everyone is welcome to add information in the comment section about past replacements such as Robthatsme did when he mentioned that he had a mechanical valve that lasted ten years and his second one has currently been implanted a little more than 3 years.

I kinda thought that my vote would get rejected....

I checked Mechanical
Checked 5-10 yrs. for my aortic valve that was swapped out in 2006
Checked 20+ yrs for the old mitral mechanical that's been in place since 1975

My whole vote was thrown OUT....Florida style! :biggrin2: :tongue2:

I checked Mechanical

Too many hanging chads? :tongue2:

I checked Mechanical

Norma, I'm not sure why this happened since the poll allows for multiple choice options, but I'll run it past Hank and see if he can add your entry.

I had my bi-cuspid aortic valve replaced at the Cleveland Clinic with a human donor valve 11 years ago. We have checked it with both a CT scan and an echocardiogram 3 months ago and it shows no sign of calcification or leakage and is functioning better than my 3 native valves. I will be 71 in June and still running. I will be running a 14 mile trail race on Saturday. I also had CABG x5 in 1993 and a CABGx2 in 2003 when the valve was replaced. My grafts are all calcified and dead and have been replaced by newly grown arteries via angiogenesis. My last stress test shows no ischemia with my heart rate in excess of 100%. I attribute the complete reversal of my heart disease to my Whole Food Plant Based Diet with no added oils or dairy.

I got my first mechanical aortic valve in the summer (July) of 2010. Everything seemed to be going well, but I contracted endocarditis that turned septic. I believe that occurred due to ineffective antibiotics during dental work. Since there was vegetation growing on my existing mechanical valve, that one was replaced with a new mechanical valve on 01/21/14. So far so, good. I am back at work full time.

Very interesting reply from 'johnbell'! I am sure that 'nutrition' has a big effect on longevity of valves.
I like him, am still a distance runner. I am a wee bit older and my 'piggy' valve 2.7 years young going strong.
Let us know how you did in your run johnbell.
See Yaas
Brian

I did indeed complete the 14 mile trail race in adverse conditions. I had to run on snow and ice for the first half of the race and then ankle deep mud for the remainder of the race. It was the toughest race I have ever run and took me in excess of 6 hours to complete. I have written a story that chronicles my 20 year battle with heart disease as well as my winning a 7 year fight with the FAA to issue me an Airman’s Medical Certificate. You will also find a picture taken in 2004 of Dr. Pettersson wearing my Air Force Marathon Medal as I presented it to him. I also have a Power Point Presentation I gave to the Academy of Surgical Research last fall that describes how I completely reversed my heart disease via angiogenesis. To my knowledge no researcher has ever tried this on a human test subject. I followed a protocol designed for laboratory animals with the same results on my heart. I have test results that show the elimination of heart ischemia with my heart in excess of 100% even though 5 of my bypasses have completely occluded. The homograft valve that Dr. Pettersson implanted in me is still after 11 years functioning perfectly with no signs of calcification, leakage or enlargement of the aortic root. I wrote the story for a broad audience including the general populace along with the aviation and medical communities. I hope there is a lesson here for everyone. The chapter labeled Angiogenesis contains a precise “bottom line” for the medical reader. The entire story chronicled my 20 year journey of learning and treating the root cause of heart disease. It was driven by my love of flying. I thought the removal of the Aviation portion would take my motivation out of the context of the story.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1bwtb0bukdl9yh/Story&Pictures.docx

Back