How long does it take the heart to adjust to a new bovine aortic valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
d333gs......don't expect to wake up and hop out of bed....the recovery process takes time. I was asymptomatic and fit going for my op. A few days after the op, walking across the room was a major achievement, then walking corridors and slowly building it up but despite how fit your heart is going in, it's like it goes into limp mode as a result of the op. Everyone is the same in the initial stages post op.

Thanks Herb! Love Paris, as an artist I love walking the city But I am in the south and I will spend 4 weeks in Hyere out on the peninsula at a rehab. It's beautiful out there, mostly sunny and warm in the afternoons and the spring flowers will be starting. We are an hour from the coast but even here it was tee shirt weather yesterday afternoon. So the season is with me, longer days and warmer temps to look forward to.
Hyères

No, I did not know that . I am surprised it works considering it is not reacting to nerve impulses or that dead tissue would graph to living tissue. I will go to your links,.
there is no muscle in the valve, which is why a simple bi leaflet mechanical will also work.

The morphology and anatomy (and out right efficiency) of the native valve is a triumph of evolution. The more you know about bio-mechanics and biochemistry the more amazing it is.

For instance it does not need to be vascularised because its swimming in blood all the time!! The following is an excellent exploration of the tissue of a normal valve

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.112.300154
1643015916743.png

This is what your natural valve looked like. Amazing stuff.

I think that the word "bio" makes people inclined to think that its somehow living, or natural ... when the truth is far from that (as you now saw). I suspect that this biases people towards thinking its somehow more "natural" than a mech valve.

Best Wishes

wait, are we still talking about the heart?

I was anyway....my heart went from normal going into the op (cycled 30km the evening before going into hospital) to barely being able to shower after the op. I kinda like it to a car that goes into 'limp mode" when there's something like a sensor or something gone wrong...."limp mode" allows the car to carry on from A to B but limits the functionality until it's fixed. I suppose maybe the heart goes into some protection mode after the trauma? Maybe it was just mine! 🤣

Mines fine now again....full of beans!! I feel great after 12 weeks. I'm starting to think I wasn't as asymptomatic as I thought before the op .....

There was an amount of tongue in cheek

...kinda like it to a car that goes into 'limp mode"

I was making a reference to a uniquely masculine problem... anyway, my car is too old and either goes or doesn't ... it doesn't get ... well you know

Mines fine now again....full of beans!!

1643019196783.png

that's excellent ... ;-)

there is no muscle in the valve, which is why a simple bi leaflet mechanical will also work.

The morphology and anatomy (and out right efficiency) of the native valve is a triumph of evolution. The more you know about bio-mechanics and biochemistry the more amazing it is.

For instance it does not need to be vascularised because its swimming in blood all the time!! The following is an excellent exploration of the tissue of a normal valve

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.112.300154
View attachment 888385

This is what your natural valve looked like. Amazing stuff.

I think that the word "bio" makes people inclined to think that its somehow living, or natural ... when the truth is far from that (as you now saw). I suspect that this biases people towards thinking its somehow more "natural" than a mech valve.

Best Wishes
Thanks Pel, Very informative. You are right about the term "Bio" ; Good illustrations here : Heart Model with Valves

Hey
Thanks Pel, Very informative. You are right about the term "Bio" ; Good

you're welcome. I come here mainly to assist the following:
  • if one is to make an informed decision one has to actually understand the facts (not some fiction), I'm fortunate to have a good and diverse education in this area (perhaps because of this area) with degrees in the underlying stuff and research.
  • people who are having trouble with managing INR (or having their INR managed) in the main can be helped with a little balanced methodology (rather than the weird (apparently based on nothing) stuff dished out by clinics.
Both these things can add years (and quality years at that) to lives. My view is that a decision based on wrong information is less likely to be "the best decision"

One person can't change the world, but can perhaps turn the nose of the ship in a better direction for some people.

Best Wishes

I believe it's closer to 10 - 12 weeks for new tissue to surround the ring of the new valve and the stitches to dissolve. I'm in week 12 myself and I asked my surgeon that exact question at my 6 week check up - that's what he told me. I guess that could also explain why they don't want people to do too much more than walking until that point too, even if they feel up to it (in case it might affect that process physically). I also had a bovine valve implanted and although I feel like I'm bursting with energy now, I have adhered to that advice although I'm dying to hop back on my bike or go for a swim. I'm walking around 18 km per day and I'm itching to step it up to cycling/swimming now.

On another note, these surgeons are really unbelievable in what they do. Around the same time I was having my AVR, my surgeon (Lars Nolke) was also saving the life of a new born baby. We are so lucky to live in modern times with modern medicine/surgeons.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news...me-from-hospital-after-100-days-41261658.html
Thanks Azat. Yes , I thought the 3 month time period was based on the healing of the sternum. I am really happy to hear that you are " bursting with energy" . That is something to look forward to.
PS " walking around 18 km per day" is a good distance Bravo!

Bonjour @d333gs - you are so lucky to be having this surgery in France as you will get those 4 weeks in a rehab ! No other country, as far as I know, other than perhaps Germany, gives rehab to patients after surgery. I have a friend who moved to France, had knee surgery and then got a couple of weeks rehab in a lovely place where they looked after her so well. Why don't other countries offer rehab as it helps patients on the best road to a full recovery and they don't have to worry about getting a recliner or whatever for at home, they don't have to worry about cooking and all the other things that you would find harder at home, and you will get physio to help with healing too.

The south of France is the most beautiful part of the world. We have a house in the Langeudoc (about an hour from the coast too but right on the edge of fantastic walking country) which unfortunately with Brexit and issues managing it from the UK we are selling :(

Thanks Herb! Love Paris, as an artist I love walking the city But I am in the south and I will spend 4 weeks in Hyere out on the peninsula at a rehab. It's beautiful out there, mostly sunny and warm in the afternoons and the spring flowers will be starting. We are an hour from the coast but even here it was tee shirt weather yesterday afternoon. So the season is with me, longer days and warmer temps to look forward to.

Bonjour @d333gs - you are so lucky to be having this surgery in France as you will get those 4 weeks in a rehab ! No other country, as far as I know, other than perhaps Germany, gives rehab to patients after surgery. I have a friend who moved to France, had knee surgery and then got a couple of weeks rehab in a lovely place where they looked after her so well. Why don't other countries offer rehab as it helps patients on the best road to a full recovery and they don't have to worry about getting a recliner or whatever for at home, they don't have to worry about cooking and all the other things that you would find harder at home, and you will get physio to help with healing too.

The south of France is the most beautiful part of the world. We have a house in the Langeudoc (about an hour from the coast too but right on the edge of fantastic walking country) which unfortunately with Brexit and issues managing it from the UK we are selling :(
Very lucky, and they practically insist on it! Brexit is a real pain for anyone who has to do things in both the EU & UK. Just sending a package is a pain now and expensive for both parties. Langeudoc! Super!

Why don't other countries offer rehab as it helps patients on the best road to a
because of governments who do cost benefit analysis I suspect and are not as socially inclined.

Australia is both good and bad, however every year we have this budget time when the federal government determines spending. Every particular group is there agitating for their slice.

Latest posts

Back