How long do Dacron grafts last?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a st Jude aortic valve conduit (valve with graft). I was told it will last my lifetime. I was 42, and that was three years ago.

DachsieMom;n885052 said:
I have a st Jude aortic valve conduit (valve with graft). I was told it will last my lifetime. I was 42, and that was three years ago.

In the event of catastrophic failure, aren’t they still right?

dixitworld;n885031 said:
........... would like to know what is the observation of all members on durability of graft. I am 32 and Cardiologist of Cleveland clinic said to me after this surgery i should be lucky to live an more days after 20 years

Doctors, like most of us, sometimes "put their mouths in motion before they put their brains in gear". Here are a few of my own observations over the years.

1. On my first visit to a cardio after my surgery in 1967 he had every cardio in the office listen to the valve as they had never heard one in operation.....that didn't do much for my confidence in having the surgery at 31.

2. Cardio, about 12-13 years post surgery told me I was his "longest lived valve surgery patient"......not comforting to a young man in early 40s. He left medicine a few years later and opened a religious book store.

3. Very young new cardio told me on separate visits +/- ten years ago......."I was a medical miracle" and "boy, you've been lucky". Fortunately, by the time of my visits to him, I had become used to dumb statements by physicians....so it didn't bother me.....too much:).

My current cardio.....he is about 60 and has been around for awhile, although he was only about 10 when I had OHS, says "there is no way to know how long my valve might last".

I am now at the age that going to funerals is becoming a routine activity in my life........and none of them are for me...........YET......:coolhank:

Last edited:
Dick
when I read this
dick0236;n885062 said:
I am now at the age that going to funerals is becoming a routine activity in my life........and none of them are for me...........YET......:coolhank:
my usual glib and flippant self instantly thought
"Always the Brides Maid never the Bride" ... as is often suggested don't rush into it.

Myself I'm totally ok with when mine is ... I'm going to stand them all up at the altar and not go myself.

Reactions: jyg
The way my surgeon put it was like this: If they dig me up a thousand years from now, they'll find my bones, my valve and the dacron tube. He also told me that over time the graft becomes part of you, overgrown with the same cells that line your natural arteries.

Who knows what will happen? Enjoy life now... Now if only I would take my own advice.

Latest posts

Back