How has your life improved?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

Hi everyone, I'm sure you've seen me around here complaining about all of the trips to the ER, medication side effects, etc., but today is different. I read my journal that I've kept since college and realized I've been a pretty miserable person most of my life. Always looking at the negatives. I'm not religious and don't believe that my valve was faulty for a reason but I honestly believe it will change my life for the better.

For example last night I drove to the grocery store and got what I needed and was fine! I appreciate that I didn't get exhausted, too dizzy, and especially glad not to have been short of breath. I am more appreciative of just being here, most days with little or no pain. And oh man how excited I get after a full nights sleep.

What I'm trying to get at is not only did the surgery save my life, this unpleasant ride took me further to becoming a happy and content person than any self help books, medications, therapy sessions, vacations, anything else that I could imagine.

So I pledge to not throw myself one more pity party, from now on I will celebrate each moment of contentness, each day I'm with my loved ones, each baby step towards physical recovery.

I hope that others will find that going through this surgery makes them better people as well. Even if just physically.

That's a beautiful post, Michelle! Thanks for sharing such an inspiring journey of self-discovery. It should help many others as they prepare to take the first step toward a better, happier life.

I really didn't have too many complaints before my OHS but my life has been filled with many blessings since -- ones that I would not have been around to experience.

I'm happy to read that your taking such a positive approach to your recovery. :smile2:It serves to remind me that I am fortunate to have undergone valve replacement.

In terms of improvement, I'm still here and kicking. Can't beat that!:thumbup:

Keep up the postive outlook Michelle. I am glad I had my surgery because without it, I likely would not have been able to enjoy seeing our son get married. I would not have been able to see our daughter so happy with her marriage and her life. It would not have been possible to spend time with my sweetie. But most of all I get the chance to see the daisy's from the flower side and not the root side. Just treat each and everyday as a new adventure. Try new things and meet new people.

Michelle, it is true that it's always the darkest (and often the coldest, too) just before dawn, and then the sun comes up and a new day begins. :cool:

I am happy for you. This is a great step towards healing improvement in every sense. Positive thinking releases good endorphines and enzymes which benefits a person as a whole.

“Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.”

Willie Nelson

Before surgery, I could not force myself to do anything. Now, I can do things and enjoy them too!

Last edited:
Michelle, your post was so uplifting. I will always remember when Colin was first diagnosed with Marfan. I thought I could never ever be happy again in my life. And, I was 7 months pregnant with my daughter at the time. But, Marfan has actually added a new dimension to my life. I still wish Colin did not have it, but I am able to be happy once again despite it. I always liked the saying, "What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." It really is so true. :)

Besides the obvious - I can breathe, my hands and feet don't swell, my heart beats properly--there are all the "side effects"!
- I don't sweat the small stuff
- I realize that most of it is small stuff
- I REALLY appreciate my health, my family, my life
- I'm more confident to reach out to people and be who I am
- I'm convinced that I'm still here for a purpose, and try to do something each day to live purposefully

Michelle. It's good to hear your words. You sound as if you have found some real peace in all this; something true for you. It is so lovely of you to share that with us. Thank you.

You have had a tumultuous ride on the recovery train! Wow. Really, you did. And life will continue to be full of ups and downs. So when you say you'll never throw yourself another pity party???? I won't hear of it!! Of course you can!! You can make peace with the lows and accept them and move on -- just like you are now. That, my dear, is strength! Bet you weren't sure you had as much of it as you did, but now you know that you can handle amazingly rough roads.

I loved the time I had to reflect during recovery. It sounds you have chosen to do that, too. That energy, that calm that I learned in recovery -- that patience -- I have tried to keep it nearby. I'm not always the person I want to be, but generally speaking I feel that since I developed a stronger calm within me I know, now, that it is there for me to call upon. I like that.

And, oh yeah, waking up every morning is excellent, too!!! :biggrin2:

Best wishes!

Marguerite

Great thread Micelle ....since my OHS I have a new grand daughter and a new daughter in law ......happy man

jumpforjoy.gif

Last edited:
How have I improved? That is simple. His name is Jonathan. He was 6 weeks old when I had my Valve replaced. I had a few of set backs before I got home. But, seeing him every morning while I was in the Hospital was enough. How has my life improved easier. I can now wrestle with Jonathan and chase him and when I stand up I don't get dizzy. How has my life improved? Yet again no brainer. On Tuesday morning at 5am My wife and I are heading into the hospital. This time it isn't me. This time we welcome our new daughter Genevieve Grace Eckley into the world. Without my surgery I am Positive I would not be here for Jonathan and I know I Genevieve would never exist. Thanks for this thread it is great to sit back and reflect at the greatest gift we have.......... LIFE!

Michelle, If there is one thing that matters more than physical health, it is spirit. There will still be ups and downs, but you have won a big battle! xo, Brian

I underwent a noticable personality change after my surgery. I'm less stressed and don't get as upset over little things. I still have my moments, but overall I'm a much calmer person.

I am also more conscious of my mortality and not wasting time or putting things off.

I get frustrated sometimes over my diminishing athletic ability, but that's due to age, not my cardiac health.

Mark

In Chimp-land everyday is a holiday and every meal a banquette ... really, each day is a gift and it just keeps getting better ... I still have the aches and pains of age, I don't have the stamina I did 20 years ago but who does ... as the song says, "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I always was":wink2: ... I sometimes bitch and moan and climb up on my pity pot but I am truly grateful for the life I have and for the people in it ... peace out:cool2:

poem "BEGIN"

poem "BEGIN"

There is a good poem by irish poet Brendan Kennelly ,who himself had open heart surgery a number of years ago called "BEGIN"
he also wrote a wonderful long poem which is called "the man made of rain" which is about the man made of rain that visited him while he was in recovery and took him places :) I love it !
donna

No more chest congestion, or feeling like I have a cold. Better energy level. Most importantly, no more antisipation.

Because of my cardiomyopathy I am in no way cured, but I am glad it is done.

The answer is simple for me........I'm still "looking down at the grass":biggrin2::thumbup:

Dick, I like your view of the world!

Michelle, I'm glad you are viewing the world differently as well. After my first surgery, I was not very introspective. This time, the smallest things make me cry. I was a blubbering idiot at my 3rd daughter's Bat Mitsvah 2.5 weeks post-op; that took me completely by surprise. This time around, I feel a pulling to be active on this site and to get out an share with people at the Clinic.

I had my op 35 weeks ago, at the time I could not walk more than 2 steps, I was in a wheelchair and had to buy a stair lift to get upstairs. I can now walk at least 3 miles non stop, exercise with mild weights, do pushups, sit ups etc. You bet I feel well.
The main thing I can do now that I could not before my op is to look forward to tomorrow and the next day. I didn't know if I was going to get one in January.

I have had so much support from the medics and especially my wife and younger son who have been incredible. My elder son, in Indiana, has not been helpful at all which is a big disappointment and did and still does; hold me back a bit.

I too count my blessings Michelle and I know that we are both lucky to be here and as Dick says, we are still looking down at the grass.

Last edited:
Back