How has it been since your Valve replacement?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enkaynj

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Just trying to gauge general health of this group’s members and longevity of your valves - tissue or Mechanical - and share my own story. Hopefully it will ease the anxiety of those who are waiting to get their valve replaced. I got my Carpentier tissue valve in July 2011. It’s been 9+ years for me and -knock on wood - no issues to date. Been exercising regularly -spinning, fight, treadmill etc.
I was 51 when I got my valve. Ran the Medtronic 10 miler in 2013. (Sadly, they discontinued the Global Heroes program a few years back. ) I hope to get a replacement Valve without OHS the next time around. Would also like to hear from anyone who is considering such procedures. Thanks.

It’s all I’ve known since my senior year of high school. Usual ups and downs of life getting in the way of fitness, then working back into shape.

I’m 47 now. Father of five. Husband of one. I run and spin regularly (jumped on the Peloton bandwagon early in the pandemic - super happy with that decision!).

I did have to have a second OHS at 36 due to an aneurysm. Ticking away mechanically and hoping that was my last.

I can say I’m in better shape than many my age who have “normal” hearts. Of course, many are in better shape than I am as well.

Next month will be 4 years for me and my 25mm St Jude Regent mechanical AVR (+ CABG, they were there anyway) which went in due to endocarditis of my poor bicuspid valve (had no idea I had one until the doc told me in A&E) at age 35.

After clinic cardiac rehab I spent some time with a personal trainer getting me fit fast but in a safe and responsible way. I think I am fitter now than before all this, run 2x a week 15 - 20 miles, 2x HIIT bootcamp and squash for fun. Which is good because I have two little hooligans now age 1 and 4; they test my fitness Regularly 😀
For me the psychological impact this completely unexpected illness and subsequent emergency OHS was huge. Therefore I have spent quite some time talking with a psychologist which has helped me a lot to reinvent a sort of trust in my own body, I am ok now.
One thing I do not seem to be able to get rid of is sores and aches of the chest, which sometimes feel like angina but I experience this on the days after training only. Because of that and I have no issues at all during exercise cardiologist says it must be the trauma from the surgery. Anyone else experiencing this?

In 1966, when I was 30, a Cardio told me I probably would not live to 40 without corrective valve surgery. I had OHS in 1967 with a mechanical "ball in cage" aortic valve that has now lasted over 53 years and has more than doubled my pre-surgery life expectancy.......I'm 84+ and probably have a few years left :unsure::whistle:.

My life experience post surgery has been pretty much normal. I've had few, if any, restrictions on my life or lifestyle........:giggle:.

I'm glad I only had to do it once(y).

just briefly, had my first OHS at 12years old, became a normal teenager riding MX

normalTeenager.jpg

had my second done at about 28 years old, continued riding my (little then because I was broke) motorcycle to uni after a break

snipper.jpg

had my third at 48 and was back doing XC skiing after a few rocky bits of recovery

lakeSelfie.jpg

and now nearly 8 years later continue living a "normal" life as any heart valve patient on warfarin would

Over fourteen years since my St Jude mechanical AVR surgery at age 46. I had a bicuspid valve with a cord that was attached to the defective leaflet on one end and somewhere inside my heart on the other. The cord ruptured and suddenly I had severe aortic regurgitation. Up until then I did not know I had a valve defect. My cardiologist said without replacement, I would not see the end of the decade and he could not predict how long I could go before there was permanent damage to my heart. So the valve was replaced within three weeks of diagnosis.

Recovery was reasonably quick at 3-4 weeks. No complications upon release from the hospital, but I did have fibrin strands diagnosed within the first year. Those are gone now. I have a slight mitral leak/murmur that started a few years ago, but not affecting me at this time. INR management has not been a problem. No material lifestyle changes.

I had a lot of concerns after diagnosis especially the prospect of taking warfarin, but it really has worked out well and allowed a normal life.

Just trying to gauge general health of this group’s members and longevity of your valves - tissue or Mechanical - and share my own story. Hopefully it will ease the anxiety of those who are waiting to get their valve replaced. I got my Carpentier tissue valve in July 2011. It’s been 9+ years for me and -knock on wood - no issues to date. Been exercising regularly -spinning, fight, treadmill etc.
I was 51 when I got my valve. Ran the Medtronic 10 miler in 2013. (Sadly, they discontinued the Global Heroes program a few years back. ) I hope to get a replacement Valve without OHS the next time around. Would also like to hear from anyone who is considering such procedures. Thanks.
Well it’s been eight years since I had my St Jude’s (SORIN) vale plumbed in. I am now 63 years old, active – walking 40 minutes a day, cycling and just about able to manage our oversized garden. I have had no problems whatsoever, INR fine, blood pressure normal and the red wine continues to flow. I wish you well and many happy years ahead. Peace & Love from S.W France

About 5.5 years post surgery for me (mechanical valve). Mine was an emergency situation due to heart attack (coronary artery disease, big blockages). They decided to change my oil filter (aortic valve) while they were changing my oil (double bypass) since they already had me up on the lift I guess - sorry, weak automotive repair joke reference there.

Had no clue I had a valve issue (or anything else other than was experiencing bad breathlessness for months but was misdiagnosed with COPD/asthma). Learned afterwards that I did have a bicuspid valve which looking back does kind of explain my breathlessness dating way back to junior high doing those long 100 yard dash torture sessions in gym class perhaps.

Anyways, will say now although still struggling with coronary heart disease (had to get a stent put in last Fall), I am in best shape cardio-wise than many years. Work out on a treadmill with no problems. Two years ago I had to abandon my car in a snowstorm and walk home up & down hills for like 7 miles carrying a bag of groceries. Prior to my surgery I would not have made it probably even 1/4 of a mile.

My ejection fraction now is over 60% as per a recent nuclear stress test (which confirmed a flawed echocardiogram 2 months ago that I posted about in another thread, long story). I was down to 33% at time of my heart attack and would get winded just walking up steps. My recovery is not solely due to my new "bionic" aortic valve, the opening up blockages are a big part of that equation, but I believe the new valve has helped me immensely.

I would urge anyone struggling with valve problems to have the surgery, put up with the short term discomfort, and reap the longer term rewards.

Three years ago. Double bipass and valve. No problems since, thank God. I am so grateful.

It’s been just over 7 months for me with an on-x. My dad has had his St Jude mechanical over 15 years now. Worst part was my anxiety during the the months leading up to the surgery but reading everyone’s posts on this forum helped a lot.

1977 Porcine Aortic valve age 29 bicuspid valve severe stenosis
1983 St.Jude. Porcine valve failure age 35
2006 Aortic aneurysm (6.5 cm)repair and new St. Jude age 58. 3rd degree block pacemaker
2016 Mitral Clip significant Mitral insufficiency successful
Just finished a 30 mile bike ride. age 72 ride 100+ miles/week
Warfarin 37 years. My wife thought I would be dead years ago fooled her.

Great to here We decided I. The On-x valve as well it has beeb doing great getting close too the right warfarin dosage waiting on approval to get a home monitoring inr. On 2. 4mg. pills now.

Latest posts

Back