How has it been since your Valve replacement?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost 9 months since January 7. Most days settling in. Other days still feel nervous like the waiting room, which makes me pause and laugh at myself. For example I saw the cardiologist a few days ago. He was all smiles and said, I think we should check again in 9 months. We don’t need to see you any sooner than that. After hearing check in 3 months or six months for the last 5 years the Good news caused a moment of anxiety. As I drove home from the appointment, I paused the drive and pulled the car over to laugh at myself.

Just shy of 9 months for me — January 7, 2020. Feeling really good almost all the time — my activity level is back to what it was pre-surgery: running, biking, Bollywood dance classes, etc. No pain, but occasional awareness after exercise that there’s a scar at the site of my mini-sternotomy. I had two episodes of post-surgical pleural effusion. I’ve also had a few episodes of AFib and AFlutter since my surgery, including a brief second hospital stay in February, but now they’re controlled with medication. In addition to Warfarin, I take 6.25mg of Carvedilol twice a day.

My surgeon said a mechanical valve was the “most likely to get me to age 90,” but now I regard that as insufficiently ambitious. I plan to be around for the US Tricentennial in 2076, when I’ll be 105, and my mechanical valve will be 56 years old.

Last edited:
LOL. Yes, I noticed that! You were in California, right? And I was in Cleveland and we got out on the same day too! January 11.

except I got a biological. I have macular degeneration and did not want the blood thinners, neither did the surgeon.

I was actually not “home” until Jan 15, waiting for one last appointment with surgeon’s staff and to be sure everything continued ok at least initiallybefore traveling back to Harpers Ferry

LOL. Yes, I noticed that! You were in California, right? And I was in Cleveland and we got out on the same day too! January 11.
Yes, the hospital where I had my surgery is about a mile from my home in San Francisco. My parents were visiting from New York State to help with my recovery, and January 11th is my mother’s birthday.

I’m glad to hear your most recent appointment went so well!

11 years last month. Tissue. Was told that it should last 10-15 years. At the last checkin this past February - I was told the valve is doing great, should last another 10-15 years. I have no health issues other than normal slowing at 67. I also am looking forward to a replacement without the OHS... go TAVR !!

7 days. AVR
Just got home
Bovine valve
Doing fine- still not saying easy
Full Sternotomy due to complications

Immediately after posting this I ended up back in hospital with HIT, heparin reaction. Took a week in hosp to fix. Very dangerous reaction... but luckily no longterm problems. Back on track...

Two years and two weeks. St Jude valve, new root, new ascending aorta. I feel great. Playing sand volleyball with guys 25 years younger (I’m 56). Only problem I have is a bad knee from all that jumping but I won’t let them see a limp. “You don’t stop playing because you get old, you get old when you stop playing”-Benjamin Franklin. Lol

Latest posts

Back