How get used to permanent metal click after aortic valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for reply. But my valve sounds really good. I keep trying to focus an attention to other things but it’s still difficult. Maybe someone has ideas how to get used with current valve as well as I don’t want to make an appointment with psychologist.
I think once you feel ready get fit. Over the months heart rate will drop and get softer which may soften the noise. I had a tissue valve but even with that my heart beat was so strong it was almost rocking me when in bed resting. Once fit everything is quite and slow. Good luck. Check with your doctor if you need some reassurance before upping your exercise regime.

Reactions: ARV
I only notice mine if I'm watching tv and it gets to a quiet scene (click-click-click-click)... and when I lay down in bed, especially if my arm is across my chest, creating a sound reflector back towards my head. I'm 5 months post-op.

I have had a mechanical valve for 25 years, since age 12, I sleep with a fan or ac unit in my room so I never hear it when trying to sleep but when I can here it, I am just reminded that my heart is still beating. I will say that eventually, you will forget what its like to not here the clicking. It has become normal to me and I sometimes forget that I even have it. It is easy to say "Just don't worry about it" or "ignore it" but that is easier said than done. I always try and remember that hearing a clicking in my chest is way better than the alternative , had I not had surgery.

Latest posts

Back