How Do You Like Your On-X Valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my 23mm ON-X Aortic valve 10 months. I wanted the On-X because of the possiblity of reduced anti-coagulation in the future. THe surgeon I use prefers On-X as well, so it was comforting to know that he had plenty of experience with On-X. The valve is working great.

However, my "tick" is loud. Others can hear it when standing very close to me but only in certain accoustic situations (quiet car, small bathroom). My cardiologist says mine is louder than most mechanical valves. I was told that it really depends on body composition how loud it is, so there is no way of predicting.

I don't mind the ticking at all. Sometimes I don't hear it.

drivetopless said:
However, my "tick" is loud. Others can hear it when standing very close to me but only in certain accoustic situations (quiet car, small bathroom). My cardiologist says mine is louder than most mechanical valves. I was told that it really depends on body composition how loud it is, so there is no way of predicting.

I don't mind the ticking at all. Sometimes I don't hear it.

This week I'm finding out just how subjective and situation dependent the loudness of a valve is. Now that I've been spending a lot of time in my quiet house, recovering, I can hear it most of the time as a *thump*, with a high pitched *clink* as well, like coins clinking together. In a room with ambient noise (humidifier, air conditioner, noise machine) I only feel it. My kinds and nephew can hear the *clink* across a noisy if I'm pointed in their direction.

Luckily it doesn't bother me and I don't lose any sleep over it. I just hope, when I return to work, it won't freak to many people out!

This week I'm finding out just how subjective and situation dependent the loudness of a valve is. Now that I've been spending a lot of time in my quiet house, recovering, I can hear it most of the time as a *thump*, with a high pitched *clink* as well, like coins clinking together. In a room with ambient noise (humidifier, air conditioner, noise machine) I only feel it. My kinds and nephew can hear the *clink* across a noisy if I'm pointed in their direction.

Luckily it doesn't bother me and I don't lose any sleep over it. I just hope, when I return to work, it won't freak to many people out!

Most people at work will not even hear it...and if they do, they will have no idea what the tick is, until you tell them. I had a teenager in my office one day who asked "what is with your watch?", I wear a digital watch and it took me a minute to realize what she was hearing. The big problem is that you will not be able to play hide and seek with the kids anymore.

Most people at work will not even hear it...and if they do, they will have no idea what the tick is, until you tell them. I had a teenager in my office one day who asked "what is with your watch?", I wear a digital watch and it took me a minute to realize what she was hearing. The big problem is that you will not be able to play hide and seek with the kids anymore.

LOL, that's what I think about. If I had to hide for some reason I'd be screwed. Like hide from a killer or the cops. Dang it!

I've got a St. Jude, and when I tried to hide from my kids, they could sometimes hear it THROUGH a door.

I got a loud, mechanical Mickey Mouse watch a few years ago, and the fast ticking made my wife worry that I may have been having a heart attack.

I've been at press conferences, and had one idiot give me dirty looks because my 'watch' was disturbing him. I tried my best to 'aim' my clicks in his direction. He finally asked, quite loudly, 'who's got the loud watch?'. I told him it was my heart -- this clown went from about 5 foot 6 to about 3 inches.

I've got a St. Jude, and when I tried to hide from my kids, they could sometimes hear it THROUGH a door.

I got a loud, mechanical Mickey Mouse watch a few years ago, and the fast ticking made my wife worry that I may have been having a heart attack.

I've been at press conferences, and had one idiot give me dirty looks because my 'watch' was disturbing him. I tried my best to 'aim' my clicks in his direction. He finally asked, quite loudly, 'who's got the loud watch?'. I told him it was my heart -- this clown went from about 5 foot 6 to about 3 inches.

LMAO! Sheesh.

Protime,

I've heard you tell that story on other posts and I love it. I'm looking forward to using my new "powers" to annoy similar people, if needed.

I had fun messing my 14 year old nephew this thanksgiving. He said he could hear the click from across the crowded living room. Every so often I would square my shoulders in his direction and he would cringe and plug his ears. His visual taps of my HR indicated he really could hear it.

I was under the impression for the first few weeks that no one could hear my valve. I was at the coumadin clinic when the first pharmacist said she could hear it.
I told her no way, I was kinda defiant about it infact. The next person was the echo scan tech a week later , she told me she could hear it when she was giving me directions on how
to lay on the table. At that time I knew I owed the pharmacist an apology.
Now it seems louder to me , probably all in my head .....lol.

On-X

On-X

Got my aortic ON-X Dec 2008 after slot of research on my options. All I can say is that I have total peace of mind that I went this way with this product. I've not changed my activities and with home testing control no serious bleeding events. The january mid term report on the Proact study is very encouraging and I expect to ill drop my INTERNET below 2,0 in the near future. Best wishes on your decision and your surgery.

Got my aortic ON-X Dec 2008 after slot of research on my options. All I can say is that I have total peace of mind that I went this way with this product. I've not changed my activities and with home testing control no serious bleeding events. The january mid term report on the Proact study is very encouraging and I expect to ill drop my INTERNET below 2,0 in the near future. Best wishes on your decision and your surgery.

hi, This thread is from a couple of years now and Karen had her surgery already. its good to hear you are happy with yours tho.

I only had the On-x for 3 weeks. Initially I thought it was loud, heard it almost continuously and was worried it would bother me a lot. After a few days the sound "disappeared" and most of the time I can't even hear it when I want to. Some people around me can hear it from a distance so it can't be considered completely quiet. The doctor told me that it is a good sign when you hear it because the clicking means the valve is closing and still working properly (blood clots or things like that could cause the valve not to close and then there would be no or less sound). Now I hear the valve occasionally when I am in a certain position. It does not bother me as my heart rate is lower than just after surgery and the clicking is much nicer to listen to. Besides this it is a re-confimation that it is working properly.

Hi Karen,
I've had my aortic On-X valve for 17 months now and I'm doing great. I play field hockey, do karate and hit the weights and the treadmill down the gym every day. My only thing is that I'm very aware of my heartbeat and you can actually hear it ticking in a quiet room - quite amusing when I'm in a crammed lift at work and people are wondering where the ticking is coming from :). Sometimes I still get a bit of lightheadedness and thumping if I'm feeling worn out but no arrythmia or blood pressure problems. Once you get past the 1.5 years mark, things start to settle down really well - not that a cardiologist will ever tell you it takes this long...!!

Take care.

sensei Ade

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to ask those who've had an On-X valve for a while now (post-surgery at least 6 mos. preferably a year), how they like it? Is it working sufficiently? Any problems? Also anyone with knowledge on this type of valve is good as well.

I just know this forum is a GREAT source of information. And I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth, than another doctor, LOL!
Many thanks,
~Karen

I like my On-X valve. Have been exercising lots with it and it's been holding up pretty well ;)

I hear the heart thumping and valve ticking here and there, and my workout partners heard it as well when my heart rate gets pretty high. Its more entertaining than anything else. Makes for interesting conversations.

Since I don't come here very often, I thought I'd post an update. I have the largest On-x in the mitral position. Still just as loud as the day I got it -- I can hear it over all but very loud music -- still doesn't bother me. My now wife (fiancee when I last posted in this thread) can still hear it across the room. I should note that my wife and I are way younger than almost everyone here (I was 29 when it was put in, 32 now; she is ~5.5 years younger than me), and that older people often cannot hear my valve even when their heads are right next to my chest. It's in a very high frequency range, so I think that the volume is very age dependent.

Like my 21mm On-x valve. I can hear and feel it a lot of the time. Doesn't bother me a bit. Had it one year on May 23rd. As long as it is ticking I am living. My husband hears it quite often. A lot of the time when he hears it I can't.

Well I am just under 4 months out from surgery with an On-x in the Aorta. I am on Plavix instead of Coumadin. I am not sure there is a big difference there but, I don't have to go to the clinic anymore or worry about diet balance. I was out cutting hedges this morning and then I mowed the lawn. Yesterday one of my warehouse guys did not show up so I unloaded pallets of nails by hand myself. The 23 mm of blood flow seems fine to me. The machinist in me likes the design of this valve. I think there are situations where the St.Jude would work better fitting on the Aorta. I did not have to worry about that and searched out the surgeon who had done the most On-x valves in the Northwest to cut me. I do hear good things about the docks in Medford and in Eugene at Riverbend.

What was the criteria that allowed Plavix instead of Coumadin?
I did not realize that this was possible until the study was complete.
Is anyone else doing the same?
Thank You

/

Latest posts

Back