How do cardios find out about new valves?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nupur

I was quite surprised that my cardio did not know about On-X. I would think that the manufacturer would make sure materials are sent to all doctors around the country, but maybe it's only the surgeons who keep up with all the latest valves?

head in sand

head in sand

it seems some cardiologists and surgeons stick their heads in sand to make sure they do not hear too much about new valves

On-X or not to ON-X

On-X or not to ON-X

I was quite surprised that my cardio did not know about On-X. I would think that the manufacturer would make sure materials are sent to all doctors around the country, but maybe it's only the surgeons who keep up with all the latest valves?

I think it is only the surgeons who concern themselves about the specific features of the valves they use. As we see here ,in all the comments, surgeons have their preferances and are slow to change if they've done well lets say, with St. Jude or Medtronics. I for instance still drive Ford products though Consumer Reports tells me every month Toyota or Honda is better. I do think the On-X will turn out to be superior and more and more surgeons will switch. Many of us are waiting the results of the PROACT trial which will finally decide if On-X users can go off warfarin in favor of a little aspirin or Clopdigrel. We'll have those results in about six years!

Hi Nupur,

The moment I tried to ask my cardio about valves, he jumped to answer me that was a question to ask the surgeon. My nieces husband is a cardio in Europe and he is knowledgeable about all kinds of valves. So, I assume not all cardios care to spend time to learn about valves. All surgeons I met with knew about it.

Valve manufacturers and their sales representatives tend to focus on Surgeons.

My guess is that Cardiologists learn about new developments in Valve technology through Surgeons and/or Patients who have researched the subject.

When I asked my Cardio if he had researched the On-X valve he told me he had not (and he knows that is my first choice for any future replacement).

My cardio and I did not discuss specific brands of valves but had excellent conversation of tissue vs. mechanical even when we both thought the odds good I could have a repair.

Had I decided for mechanical, I definitely would have wanted his opinion as to specific valves but I settled on tissue so it was moot.

Latest posts

Back