How about skiing on Coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temp69

One of my Drs. said "everything's a risk," and advised me to go ahead and ski, get a helmet and don't be too aggressive.

Another said you can't ski, drink, or do anything too vigorous (she's terribly out of shape herself).

My question is, anyone aware of any studies about coumadin and skiing? Are there any skiers/snoboarders out there?

A friend went to mammoth, decided not to ski, fell down some stairs and broke her ankle in three places. Mmmmm.....makes you think.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! :confused:

Just check the search feature

Just check the search feature

Temp,
When you need help, you can always go to Search and type in the relevant words. I remember many discussions about this subject, so typed in skiing on coumadin and about three pages of posts came up.
I briefly glanced at several threads, and yes there have been discussions about the issue. Buzz Lanning skies as do several others.
I suggest you look through the old threads because there are a mixed bag of answers in them.
I hope this helps.
Mary

I will hit the slopes on Coumadin for the 1st time this winter since my AVR with a helmet and a little less aggression in the trees. I am not looking forward to the helmet but it is a price I am willing to pay to play hard. From what I read hear on VR.com some of us do not have as much of an issue with bruising and cut as others; I fortunately am within that group. I am carefully returning to martial arts training where I have taken several impacts more intense than I typically experience hitting the snow with no problems. I think the danger skiing will be from out of control skiers and trees, good reasons to wear a helmet.
I wager that there are lots of skiers on this site and that you will hear from. We should all meet in the rockies to research this issue at the 1st snow fall!!!
Winter reunion for the active lifestyle crowd???

I don't ----because I'm a TERRIBLE skier. I doubt that I'd hurt myself badly enough for Coumadin to matter. But I'm using Coumadin as my excuse.:D If I skied fairly well, I'd be out on the slopes.

I was given the A OK. What you really need to be concerned with it other skiers. Specifically the younger ones, teens, etc. They usually ski without caution. One thing you can't control.

Aside from that...get out there and have a great time. We plan to be out west this winter enjoying the slopes. My daughter wants to learn how to snow board.:p :eek:

I have been skiing many times, and bleeding has never been an issue, so it doesn't really matter that I am on Coumadin. I'm not as aggressive as I used to be - stick to Green & Blue - but that has everything to do with age and nothing to do with the ticker. Now shaving my legs is a different story when it comes to blood, so I am thinking of giving it up! Wouldn't want to take too many chances!:p

Bob,

We all must avoid trees - evidence Sonny Bono without Coumadin.

Temp,

Helmet sounds like a reasonable (although dorky) precaution. Don't get me wrong - I'm advising FOR the helmet. Just that you lose all cool points with the helmet.:( So get over it - ski reasonably, wear the helmet, embrace your inner dork, and have a safe, fun, time. Sometimes losing the cool points is worth it.:cool:

Lisa,

Stick with long pants in that case.;)

I've been on Coumadin for almost 25 years and I've skiied several times. The last time was five years ago in Breckinridge CO (we were living in FL the last few years and no ski vacations since). Don't tell anyone, but I didn't use a helmet in Breckinridge.;) I know...not a good idea. Believe me, I don't ski well enough to take any chances. You do have to watch out for the young ones though...mostly on snowboards. They do seem to have a death wish. Do as I say, and not as I did...wear a helmet.:D Oh, and have a good time. LINDA P.S. The only restriction my doctor told me about Coumadin 25 years ago was "no sky diving". Now he was a doc ahead of his time.

Temp your first Doc got it right! You had this surgery to have a life. You need to live that life with common sense additives aka head protection and go have fun. ;)

What I don't understand is all this talk about avoiding trees. If you smack into one, you must have done something very stupid or made God a little angry with you, in which case, helmet or not, your just as dead.

David...that was a long-time joke from my previous posts. Do a search on (User: Tobagotwo, keyword: Sonny) and you'll find I've mentioned Sonny Bono several times in this exact context. And you're right - the point was and is that a tree is just as deadly off of Coumadin as on it.

If you love to ski, you should ski: on warfarin or not.

Best wishes,

tobagotwo said:
David...that was a long-time joke from my previous posts. Do a search on (User: Tobagotwo, keyword: Sonny) and you'll find

And here it is Bob:
tobagotwo said:
One minute you're Jean-Claude Killy, the next, you're Sonny Bono.

I instantly thought of it when reading the thread. It is a VR classic IMHO. Still makes me laugh.:D

Thanks for the background Bob. Sorry I spoiled your joke. They just aren't as funny when you have to explain them to the newbie;)

Twinmaker - I'm thinking the advice against sky diving falls into the same category as tree avoidance. If your chute doesn't open, does coumadin really increase your risk at that moment. Well..... maybe it does in that exact moment but not a few moments later when it no longer feels like floating... it feels like bouncing (usually just once from what I hear) following aggressive ground-based deceleration.

Everyone - Anyone remember the post from a while back that was a parody of all the things the rat poison addicts can't do (like running with scissors)? That was hilarious and I trying to find it to share with my wife, but I had no luck.

Thanks,David

David, I think that was one of GeeBee's posts. I don't think it was her thread, but her post.

davidfortune said:
Thanks for the background Bob. Sorry I spoiled your joke. They just aren't as funny when you have to explain them to the newbie;)

Twinmaker - I'm thinking the advice against sky diving falls into the same category as tree avoidance. If your chute doesn't open, does coumadin really increase your risk at that moment. Well..... maybe it does in that exact moment but not a few moments later when it no longer feels like floating... it feels like bouncing (usually just once from what I hear) following aggressive ground-based deceleration.

Everyone - Anyone remember the post from a while back that was a parody of all the things the rat poison addicts can't do (like running with scissors)? That was hilarious and I trying to find it to share with my wife, but I had no luck.

Thanks,David

David,
As a former skydiver I have to offer an observation. Most injuries aren't due to catastrophic failure of the chute; they are much more mundane causes brought about from sudden wind gusts or too fast descents. When you throw in the number that hit miscellaneous buildings, other divers, the runway rather than the gravel pit, etc you have injuries that can be quite debilitating rather than life ending. It's in this context that you would consider the impact of anticoagulation on the severity of an injury.
Finally, I don't know that a dropzone wants to accept liability for a new student on coumadin. It's so far out there that I don't think it would ever be considered.

Skiing On WArfarin

Skiing On WArfarin

Many many years ago, back in the days before snowboards and shaped skis...I took a 3 month leave from work for my OHS. Surgery on October, went back in January. By the time I went back to work I'd been skiing several times. (They also didn't have much in the way of ski helmets then) I had a great time, and would echo Phil's advice! I haven't been skiing since '85, but not because of warfarin. I'm more concerned about breaking a leg and being out of work for another 3 months, plus the year I started thinking seriuosly about taking it up again, was the year Sonny hit the tree. I get called Sonny Bono regularly, and have hit a tree before...That was enough to nix my dreams for now. Have fun, but be a little more cautious. Brian

I must take issue with those who claim that wearing a ski helmet makes one "dorky". I would recommend helmets for any activity in which you are moving faster than running (skateboarding, roller blading, cycling, motorcycling, and so on). Even a highly skilled skier can lose control on a patch of ice or be blindsided by a novice. The fact is that on skis one's kinetic energy is potentially high and the resultant deceleration injuries are not tolerated well by our skulls and brains which were not designed for high speed impact.

My personal and professional experience makes helmet wearing during my cycling and skiing a "no brainer" (sorry). I lost 2 childhood friends to head injuries from skateboard accidents and as a physician I have worked with countless head injured patients. Most disturbing was my 3 months on the pediatric neurology service at St. Louis Children's Hospital where there were numbers of school age kids neurologically devasted from helmetless bike accidents.

So count me in as a proud helmet wearing dork skier. I find that the only difference is that it keeps your head warm. Jeez, even Bode Miller wears a helmet...

All the dork talk had convinced me not to purchase the helmet until I read Masonge,s post. I hope it does not make me look fat!!
PBB

Back