Honest Answers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great response but as an aside some of us don't have kids, grandkids or even a partner or even much reasons to live or to carry on (I am speaking for myself only) and I wonder if it's worth suffering through pre op, op and post op or just to better let the valve disease take it's natural course and let it end my life as opposed to all the hassles of valve replacement...Food for thought..
I'm symptomatic this time. No you don't want to live like this. It's a very gradual downhill slope. I started with short of breath in certain positions, then sometimes now when I talk. Housework I was tired after 1-2 hours now after 30 minutes. Although I wish it was over I take comfort that they didn't feel it was necessary to schedule right away in Feb, it's happening 4/20. Like with the virus, it doesn't pick & choose, everybody has a story & none of us wants to be in this club.

How the hell do you get through the surgery if you've got no family nobody to take care of you? What if you're facing a situation like my own where you may be forced to move back to America after living overseas for a while it's a gut-wrenching choice and facing it 58 I guess I put myself in this situation. I had no idea when I move to Asia four years ago I'd have a heart problem it was not going to be diagnosed until after I got here that was going to pop up as a pre-existing condition and wouldn't be covered by insurance
I had my OHS at 51 and while I had family to help out, the only thing that I could not do for myself was drive. I had a (bicuspid) valve sparing aneurysm repair and my well functioning valve quickly progressed from minimal leaking to moderate. It has since stabilized but I have to assume I have another surgery in my future so I have ensured that I have adequate coverage. Partially for that reason I now work for a major health insurance company. You do what you have to do.

I had my OHS at 51 and while I had family to help out, the only thing that I could not do for myself was drive. I had a (bicuspid) valve sparing aneurysm repair and my well functioning valve quickly progressed from minimal leaking to moderate. It has since stabilized but I have to assume I have another surgery in my future so I have ensured that I have adequate coverage. Partially for that reason I now work for a major health insurance company. You do what you have to do.
So other than driving you could have recovered 100% solo ? Cool). I am not insured for valve related things but I live cheaply overseas in the 3rd world. I am on the fence about moving back to the USA..I am from expensive parts of Cali so the cost of starting over in Cali would cost a lot..Smart you got insurance and smart or lucky you created (a) family. Sorry to hear of your health issues...Sounds like you are planning ahead

I'm symptomatic this time. No you don't want to live like this. It's a very gradual downhill slope. I started with short of breath in certain positions, then sometimes now when I talk. Housework I was tired after 1-2 hours now after 30 minutes. Although I wish it was over I take comfort that they didn't feel it was necessary to schedule right away in Feb, it's happening 4/20. Like with the virus, it doesn't pick & choose, everybody has a story & none of us wants to be in this club.
Oh god the last part I so agree with..."None of us wants to be in this club"..Amen to that ! I thought my god I had a hard enough life now I find out I got a bad aortic valve...WTF???!!!)

Back