Homograft replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

brenda

I have just been informed I need my homograft replaced. (I had AVR 11 years ago). Know of any doctors in US who specialize in replacing homografts? I will probably have a mechanical valve put in this time so I won't (hopefully) have to have surgery again in 10-15 years.

Hi, don't know where you are located. But Duke in North Carolina is a place to check out. I have a homograph put in on 12-15-00 at duke. My surgeon was a Donald Glower. Dano, also a first timer used him. (homograph) Good surgeon, wonderful reputation.

Duke is number five in the country in heart. If I can be of any further help let me know. martha

Brenda, I know Brigham and Woman in Boston will do that surgery. My surgeon was Lawrence Cohn and I asked about replacing the homograft when I was making my valve choice. He would even replace with another homograft if desired.

Did your homograft just fail suddenly? Or has it been a slow process?

Thanks Jim and Martha

Thanks Jim and Martha

Jim and Martha,

thank you for your advice. Mine was put in 10 years ago. I have led an active lifestyle since then-skiing, bicycling, aerobics. In the last few months, I have been a little more tired. My new cardiologist (my old one retired) did an echo and said I should have this one replaced in the next several months.

My original surgeon was Dr. Pacifico at the University of Alabama in Birmingham. He is to call me tomorrow so that we can discuss my situation. I am anxious to hear what he has to say.

My cardiologist feels I should have a mechanical one put in this time so that I (hopefully) can avoid a third surgery (I will turn 54 in July). I do dread the thought of being on coumadin, but I do look forward to regaining my energy level.

Brenda,

At the age of 55 and after 17 years of living with porcine aortic valve, the yearly echo test uncovered a leak in the valve. Three weeks after the echo test I had the valve replaced with a new Hancock II porcine valve.
I didn?t wait to be symptomatic because of the valve failure (small tear in the base of one of the leaflets), being in good physical condition helped me recover from the surgery in record time, I was climbing steps after two day and return to work after 4 weeks.

My surgery was done last November, I feel just fine and back to my normal life style. I hope that the new valve will last at least 15 years and if at that time I have the same experience as I had this year, I wont heisted to do it again.

surgeon says NOT to operate!

surgeon says NOT to operate!

Jack,

Where did you have your surgery and who was the doctor? I assume since you are from Ohio you went to Cleveland Clinic? You felt comfortable having another tissue valve the second time even though you may have to go through a third surgery? I thought each surgery was more difficult because of the scarring?

NO SURGERY FOR NOW!...

Well, for now at least (until I get another opinion), no surgery is planned. I spoke with my original surgeon today (U of AL-Dr. Pacifico). After reviewing the results of my recent echocardiogram, he said he would NOT operate at this time. Great news and what a relief for me! Of course, now I am very confused. I am a lot more tired these past few months (could it just be my age?) and some slight shortness of breath, but if he thinks my echo looks normal??????Maybe my new cardiologist who recommended replacement is not familiar with homografts.

Brenda,

My surgery was done locally in Cincinnati Jewish Hospital by Dr. Creighton Wright.

I know that my valve has a limited life and it will fail, during the years after the 10 year mark I was being checked regularly on six month bases with ones a year echo test. When the leakage started I was mentally ready for it and anxious to correct the situation as soon as possible, know that the valve will not correct itself.

In my case and because I lived with a porcine valve replacement and without Coumadin for seventeen years, the question of starting the second part of my life with a mechanical valve didn't come up.

Thanks Jack

Thanks Jack

Jack,

Thank you for the information. 17 years! Wow! I hope my homograft will last a few more years. I would like to have another tissue valve so that I don't have to be on coumadin (and give up skiing-among other issues-although RobThatsMe says he still skis even on coumadin!). I intend to do a lot more research, and I really appreciate your input and this site.

Back