Home!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordy

Hello, I just wanted to let everyone know that I am home after my surgery. I had my surgery done by Dr. Gerald Lawrie who works out of the Methodist Hospital in the Houston Medical Center. He is a top-notch surgeon who worked side-by-side with Dr. Michael DeBakey for over 25 years. He is also a super nice guy who goes out of his way to make sure all questions are answered and you feel truly informed about how things are going. I had decided on a tissue valve, and he highly recommended the Mosaic porcine valve. I hope it is a good match for me. I have a 3 1/2 inch incision scar that seems to be healing nicely. I have developed a slight fever since comming home; I hope that is from the stress of everything going on today. The doctor also wants me to start on a fairly active walking program, but I think I might scale it back a little the first few days to see how I am getting along. I know I am not over the mountain yet, but I think I have taken a big step in that direction. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers; there is no doubt in my mind they were a huge help to me. I will keep everyone posted with my progress and pitfalls, and hope you will have patience to answer some questions for me down the road. God bless you all.

Gordy,
Correction - you are definitely over the mountain but it just takes a little time and patience to get going in the valley. You will be fine.
I am happy to hear you are home, we were worried about you. A fever can be quite common after surgery but you should still let your doctor know about it because it can be a sign of infection.
Walking is great exercise. Your body will let you know when you've done enough. Don't forget to breathe and rest as well.
Take care.

Welcome Home Gordy

Welcome Home Gordy

Gordy,
This is great news!. Just what we've been waiting to hear. Yes, you are over the 'Mountain." It was a long, steep climb, but you made it. Congrats ...Take it easy for a few days, as there is plenty of time to run the marathon. Welcome home friend.... :D

Glad You are Home!!

Glad You are Home!!

Gordy,

Glad to hear that you are home. My husband also receive a porcine valve. His surgeon and cardio both say it the mercedes of valves. They say it;s the best currently available! I hope they are right!! Sleep as much as you can! Don't be like my husband and try to get to normal too soon. He was lucky and didn't have any setbacks but I still don't recommend pushing things too fast. Baby steps forward are better than Giant steps backwards. I will continue to pray for a smooth recovery! You made it over the mountain!! Glad to have you here!

Michelle

Gordy, glad to see you home and doing well. Be good to yourself and follow doctor's orders.

You'll be running around before you know it

You'll be running around before you know it

You'll recover fast! Watch that fever and make sure it doesn't get worse. I'd tell the doc even if you think it's nothing just so he knows.

I always resist walking but I'm always glad afterward when I do.

Get better fast,
David C

If that temp climbs above 100, you get your tail on that phone! Walk as much as you can stand to walk. Don't hold back on that any, but let your body dictate what it will tolerate. It'll tell you when enough is enough. Walking won't kill you, but there are certainly other things that can try to develop from lack of excercise that will. I had a drill sargeant of a nurse to MAKE me do everythihg. I hated her for it, but now realize how much better it made me feel even though I could have killed her at the time.

Gordy,

Welcome back home. Keep those legs a pumping. My left leg was (and still is) very sore because that is where they got the veins for my by-pass. I was fortunate to be able to keep my original equipment but was prepared for the worse.

As Ross said, watch that temp. Don't need any infections to set in right now.

Ross, my wife is my "Drill Sergeant". She gets me up (although the Heart Walk was my idea) and makes me at least walk the hall way. If I hear "Just one more time", I might scream. HA.

Danny

Welcome hom, Gordy. Watch the temperture- Dick's instructions were to take it morning and night and report it if there was one. Wishing you a uneventful recovery and looking forward to hearing of your progress.

Thanks all for the info. Temperature is lower today, but I have been fighting some upper respiratory symptoms since before the surgery. This happed once in the hospital and they did a bunch of blood cultures but did not find any bad bugs growing in me. Last night I coughed up some pretty nasty stuff, and think I've just got a simple cold lurking around. I hadn't had a chance to pick up the Vicodin yet so each pillow-hugging event was pretty intense. I feel like my lungs are clear now, I just have a runny nose. Temp is only 99.2. Has anyone else delt with a cold while in the early stages of recovery? Well, off to the pharmacy to get my pain meds.

Yes and it sucked too! I think these things happen just to further aggravate a person when the are hurting. Watch out for rapid fire sneezing! :eek:

I recall my surgeon's instructions as being if my temp got over 101° to give his henchpeople a call. Others here have posted that over 100° was their call point. Basically, though, if it doesn't hang around, you're probably OK. I recall being 100° several evenings in a row, and once 101°. But it never went over that, and it didn't hang around for more than an hour or so at a time.

You may get night sweats for a while, although not everyone gets them. If you do, as long as they aren't accompanied by fever, they don't seem to indicate anything. Mine were nasty, and lasted for weeks.

Walking is good, both for your mending heart and for healing your leg. The hallway sounds a bit unambitious, especially if the surgeon wants you to get walking. Try to get outside for some. You don't have to sprint or heel-toe. Just shuffling along for a mile or so is good. It helps keep your lymphatic system circulating, which aids healing. Stretching (carefully - but you have already figured that out) also helps your body to recover.

I feel bad for you because of the coughing. That has to hurt. Hope you're trying to hug something while coughing to reduce the pain from it.

Best wishes,

Gordy,

I also had a temp and a cold just after surgery. Sneezing and coughing was not fun. I did watch the temp as I was told too that over 100 was not good and to call. In fact, it was one of the things that kept me in the hospital a little longer.

One thing I was a nut about was the walking. I looked at what the hospital recommended and tried to do a little more than that each day. My existence constisted of walking and sleeping for , at least, the first several weeks. The exercise really seemed to make a difference as the rest of me healed.

You are definitely on the good side of things now. Stay positive and know that it does get better with each passing day.

Dan

Welcome home Gordy. I didn't develop a cold but I did cough a ton after both of my MV replacements. I found that if I sat up straight (rather than standing or lying down) with a very firm pillow against my chest, it made the cough pain a little easier to handle. For instance, a small throw pillow. I'm sure they told you to keep using the dreadful breathing exercise gadget, I don't know what you call it...but it helped strengthen & clear my lungs.
Shelly

Yes. Use the nasty Inspirational Spirometer as specified by your surgeon and/or cardiologist. Sit up straight when you do.

Helps you clear out and breathe easier.

Hey Gordy, that's the way to go!

Well, you are evidently doing very well at writing, big step ahead...
You sound great for the point in time you are at.
Do the walking, it helps progress so much, solves many problems and keeps you busy for at least 5 minutes a day. Start with 5 mins a day and work it up gradualy as you feel you can do more. 3-4 weeks later you can bring in other activities like swimming, or hobbies (as long as its not boxing). Take it easy on one hand but invest the energies and concentration you have in active recovery. a low fever is a natural reaction, if possible just bring it down and try not to get into anti inflamatives. It will go away one way or another and you will feel better.

Keep up the good work,
Daniel

Gordy, my goodness it sounds like you are really doing well. You have most definitely made it to the other side of the mountain. Keep up the good work and don't forget to rest, breathe, rest, walk, rest, etc, etc.

You want to be slow on the walking for the first week, just slowly build up the length and pace as the weeks go by. Before the month is over, you will be amazed haw far you can walk. Just take it one day at a time. The doctor wants you to do a safe cardio-vascular workout and walking is the best. I do treadmill and bike at the gym. But it took time to build up my stamina on the walking. You keep hanging in there.

Back