Home testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but thanks to Barak, I know you can get insurance that covers a meter if you are willing to pay for it.

This is an international forum. To suggest that your way is the only right way because everyone can sign up for Barak's insurance plan is obtuse. And, despite being in the US, and having insurance, many have had issues getting devices, as they have shared here. I am not advising anyone to follow my path. I know what I did, and I know what I would do if I had a plan that did not enable me to get a meter from my carrier. Ultimately we are all independent and everyone makes the decisions that they decide are best for their own situation.

I was able to get a good price on a used meter, thanks to a long term member bringing the oppoturnity to my attention. With verifications against the lab over a wide range of INR, it is proven very trustworthy. I'm grateful that he shared the opportunity and I'm trying to help others by letting them know about opportunities when I see them. Someone had shared that the VA tests them every 6 weeks. Even if folks have a plan that covers labs, they might want to self test in between their labs for more frequest verification of being in range.

In that self testing has been shown to drastically lower bleeding and thrombosis events, the sharing of opportunities for others to obtain devices is something which I expect the members will continue to do to try to help others.
Sorry that you had to give up all those vacations and new cars to afford a plan that gave you a "free" meter, but this is an international forum and not everyone has the luxury of even making that trade off.

I am not advising anyone to follow my path
personally I actually would. Unless the person does not feel competent to do it. If they do and if they need a meter and if they want to learn about this then I most certainly would encourage people to exactly buy one of those while they're at a good price (if they're going to use it).

Agreed.

According to something I read years ago (I'm not sure what the source was), self testing is appropriate for anyone who can commit to regularly testing, but not for those who may not test often enough for avoiding coagulation related problems, or for those who are incapable of performing the tests. (Of course, if a relative or caregiver can do the testing, there should be no reason to NOT get a meter).

I ordered one of these meters, and I know that I'm not alone here, and I'll give a quick review once I've tested it against my other meter and a lab.

(I paid $30, including shipping, and probably could have gotten it for 5 or 10 dollars less)

As a follow up to my previous post, I got a special delivery from Roche today! Roche technical support was very professional to deal with and the cost of replacing these two little covers was extraordinarily reasonable. Private message me if you would like further details and pricing.

My $49 Coaguchek xs is now complete!

I'll update again once I test for accuracy.

Roche Package.jpg

I got a special delivery from Roche today! Roche technical support was very professional to deal with and the cost of replacing these two little covers was extraordinarily reasonable.

my only reason to contact roche in the early days was essentially because I got zero training and found it was a badly written manual causing me to have failed test strips due to insufficient blood and bad coherence with the labs.

The person explained it to me over the phone and they sent me a bottle of 6 strips (the equivalent of what the unit came with) to make up for my troubles.

I thought this was very professional and kind.

I also had some very good customer service from them when I was researching their new meters. Their people were made available to me, and I even received information from them via FedEx.

Like Chuck did, I plan to contact them about the back and strip guide once I receive my $30 meter.

The results are in!!

This morning I tested my new(used) Coaguchek xs, which I bought for $49 on Ebay against my trusted Coaguchek xs, which I have been using fo the past 6 months.

My current Coaguchek xs: INR 2.4

The new(used) $49 Coaguchek xs: INR 2.4

Exactly the same, as I expected.

My Coaguchek xs:

My meter.jpg

The $49 Coaguchek xs:
my $49 meter.jpg

I expect my $30 XS to also match my current meter. I expect to get the new meter tomorrow or Thursday.

I also plan to have a blood draw on the same day. I may also do a test with my Coag-Sense,, to cover all bases

I've seen some great deals on used strips, strips for the Coaguchek S, and strips that expired more than two years ago. Hemosense meters are also available at pretty good prices.

I haven't seen a VCR recorder or Laserdisc player for a while, though.

I've seen some great deals on used strips, strips for the Coaguchek S, and strips that expired more than two years ago. Hemosense meters are also available at pretty good prices.

I haven't seen a VCR recorder or Laserdisc player for a while, though.

Try Goodwill or other thrift stores.

I buy old gear like VCRs, DVD players, DVD recorders, you name it, some quite nice, even old blu-rays with analog outputs (b4 the MPAA lobbied for & got only digital outputs so they could implement "copy protection"), quite often. Is fun to find gear that works perfectly fine & used to go for hundreds of $$ for less than $10!

Now I will have to check thrift stores for Coagchecks! (ha)

Skipkid -- I have a lot of old electronics. I used to (and still do) review computer and consumer electronics.

I think I still have a LaserDisc player, perhaps an old CD-ROM recorder, an old DOCSIS cable modem or two, old printers, old keyboards, a lot of old hard drives, and probably a lot of what people would call junk that may be of value to collectors of this stuff.

Great! My VCR broke so now I can finally watch my Jane Fonda 80s workout tapes again!
Do you think they sell 8 tracks too? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Actually yes, you are in luck. I was in a thrift shop last week that is more of a "hi-end" place, stocks better stuff than say Goodwill does. They had what looked like a vintage (at the time) expensive 8 track player, looked like it even had real wood paneling.

Good VCRs are getting scarce though. Anytime I see a decent one for cheap I grab it. Some work well, some don't. And the ones I have die out. For someone like me with a large sports collection of VHS recordings that I have made over the years, being able to find working players is key. Heck it's also the only way I can enjoy my full collection of Fernwood/America 2 Night too!!!

1634161898962.jpeg

Latest posts

Back