Home testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyk

ok, I broke down and ordered a coagucheck xs home tester to monitor my INR .
I'm a traveling electrician and am sometimes away from home for 2 months at a time.
the machine I purchased is brand new, seems like a good deal..sometimes the deal looks a little too good which has happened in the past while shopping on eBay , the item doesn't show up and it usually takes a month or so to get a refund., let's hope that all is ok with the purchase!!.., I was thinking of testing once a week. To have piece of mind.
What would you guys recommend ?

I also test once per week. Just be sure the strip expiration date is far enough in the future so that you can use all of the strips you order. I have used Ebay for a meter and strips in the past without problem.

Hi

Jimmyk;n877752 said:
ok, I broke down and ordered a coagucheck xs home tester to monitor my INR .
I'm a traveling electrician and am sometimes away from home for 2 months at a time.

seems like a sound decision to me ...

... I was thinking of testing once a week. To have piece of mind.
What would you guys recommend ?

to me weekly testing is the "gold standard" ... it is used in almost every study on INR as the frequency for testing (including the On-X study to determine their optimal minimal INR) and if you consider the price per test (about $6 ignoring wasted strips from mistakes) the amount you save by pushing it out to out to fortnightly or monthly isn't even a consideration (to me at least). I have in the past started testing daily (just to see) and after a fortnight decided that even three day spacing between tests enabled me to see changes in sufficient details (think CD and nyquist sampling rates). I only do mid week samples when I am watching a high to see if it climbs at a rate or stabilizes).

Remember, lance the side of the finger not the pad. I always lance the same finger on the side and after 5 years that point has no nerves (confirmed by lancing a different finger now and then and being surprised by the sting.

If you haven't already read my blog post on this topic, here it is:

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/09...ng-my-inr.html

I think its a reasonably complete view of things (without getting micro managed)

Best Wishes

PS: when buying strips on line make sure that the tube comes with the number matched electric dongle that plugs into the machine. This is the calibration information for that batch of strips and the machine won't operate without it.

Pellicle,
I started with a package of 6 strips.
it says Code chip included. Is that the piece your talking about that plugs into the machine?
Thanks

FWIW Jimmy, while on the road keep in mind that the monitor and strips need to be kept at room temperature and NOT in a fridge or cooler. I too use a Coagucheck XS but if my S/O had to use it while they were working on the road I'd have no idea how they would have kept the monitor at room temp, their tool trailer would get way too hot and wouldn't trust no hotel room.

Thanks for the information Freddie.
I stay in a hotel while on the road.
I'd probably do the test before leaving for work in the morning.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Latest posts

Back