Home testing ? Need info.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zipper

Hi everyone,

I hadn't checked in here for along time... must say it has really improved !! I'm not familiar with all the icons and new things here..so please bear with me ! I would like some info on the home testing kit so I can present it to my doctor and insurance. Sorry...I just haven't kept up on it. Appreciate any replies...Zipper *~*

ProTime Home System

ProTime Home System

Hey Zipper. You can call Brian or Lance at Q.A.S. and we will help you through the process of getting a Rx & a Letter of Medical Necessity fromyour Doctor. Then we will present it to your insurance company for their pre-authorization. When we get that we let you know what your benifits are and your portion of the co-pay. This whole process can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months.Give us a call and let's get started.

Hi Woody,

Hi Woody,

Thanx Woody,

I'll be giving you a call soon ! I also wonder about the invasive 'cutting' of ones finger as far as the safety..ie..antibiotics required for other invasions. I hope to receive the answer to that as well.

Be talking to you soon..

Zipper *~*

One of the features of the ProTime System is the lancett,the"Tenderlett" is an important part of the procedure. It is a single use lancett ,with a fully retractable # 10 surgical steel blade. This performs an incision cut rather than a puncture wound. A puncture would hurt more & take more time to heal. The Research & Developement Dept. at ITC has taken many steps in perfecting this device ,down to the exact plastics that it is composed.This type of plastic helps the blood enter & exit the sample vial more swiftly. The Incision Devices is the bulk of ITC's Business.It accounts for over 50% of their business,this is including their ProTime & Hemochron Business. So even the people using the Coaguchek system could bennifit themselves by calling me for some samples of this "tenderlett".

My Opinion on the tenderlett

My Opinion on the tenderlett

I have used both the "puncture" type device and the "tenderlett".

What Brian says has been true in my experience. The incision site made with the tenderlett is completely healed within 24 hours and is totally pain free within much less time than that.

I would say that even in a "worse case" scenario, the values obtained by having a home testing machine far outweigh any problems that sticking yourself would present.

Home testing

Home testing

Hi heyring,

Wow, this is a great site. Thank you for your input. I'm checking up on this and hoping it is something I can safely, accurately use with the approval of my Doc..(and insurance..lol). I have no idea as to the costs.

I see this site is very active and format is very different from the beginning. I'll have to learn my way around here now. I spend time on WebMD's Heart Disease Mesage Board which I also like. Hope to get to know you all and participate in more discussions, in time.

Thanx again,

Zipper *~*

I was surprised to read that the tenderlett causes less pain, etc than the pen type needle.
I have used both now, having had 2 different machines, and the tenderlett JR poke is more painful even 2 days later, and it often leaves a small bruise. This is really the part of testing now that I don't like. If I have to test daily or every other day like now when my inr is off, I wish I could still use my pen type.
Oh well, why can't we use those with the protime?
Also, I have used my pinky but noticed that the instructions state to use the middle and ring fingers, why?
Gail

Ouch !!

Ouch !!

Hi Gail,

Thank you for your input ! I am in the process of obtaining a home testing device. Other than those with experience with it, I have no way of knowing what to expect. I've been on Coumadin for over 3 yrs and am hoping for an easier way to monitor my INR/PT. I work in a hospital...ER admiting..and have for more years than I care to count..lol. While I do feel I will still need to go to the 'vampire'..lol...I thought 'home testing' would be easy and painless..relatively speaking....

Thank you soooo much for your response. I am new here, and still finding my way around.

Zipper *~*

PS...Gail

PS...Gail

Hi,

If you don't mind my asking....where in Ca. are you ? I'm on the North coast...never find anyone close to me : )...Wouldn't mind meeting up with persons dealing with similiar problems...so much in common !! Thanx again,

Zipper *~*

Pen Type Pokers

Pen Type Pokers

You can use any method you like to get the blood out of your finger and into the analyzer. It is simply a matter of personal preference.

I personally like the tenderlett. I used it last night and now, 14 hours later, I cannot tell visually or by touch where I made the stick.

As far as the finger used, I believe it has to do with the larger fingers having greater circulation. The blood is the same no matter where you get it from I believe.

Hi Gail, Hank is right again. You can use any devise to cut your finger, but if you use the poke method you should for sure wipe off the first drop and not use that drop as part of your sample. The method sometimes brings flesh tissue into the sample and the monitors could read it as a clot. If this happens with the ProTime it will not give a score but will give an error code.

Hi Gail,

I always use the Protime "Tenderlet" and have no problems. In the beginning as I was learning, the cut at times was too small, and I was having a difficult time getting the blood out in the 2 minutes. I use the ring finger on my right hand. The skin seems to be thinner and easier to make the cut. I do have to aim for the side of the finger tip though. The middle of the finger tip makes it a little harder to get the blood out. But it really makes no difference where you get the blood. I do wipe the first drop. I also use a bandade for about 1/2 hour as I don't want to bleed all over the place. But the cut does not hurt at all and it does not leave any bruising or scarring. I have done 3 tests per week sometimes in the beginning. My finger is still there. LOL!!

Still protiming in Arizona.

Christina

Last edited:
Hi Zipper and All,
Didn't want you to think that I would ever prefer to go back to having my inr done veneously, the finger incision is much better. I just have found that the tenderlett seems to hurt my fingers more often than the pen lancet did.
Sometimes it doesn't last too long, other times it may feel tender at that point for 2 days.
Have there been studies on the lasting effects of having to incise blood from the finger tips over a long period. Does it cause the sensation to become less? Or are we okay with that.
Oh, Zipper, I live near San Jose.
Gail

Interesting, as usual. I noticed that when I had my INR done at my GP's office, the guy wipes off the first drop of blood. When I have it done at my Cardio's office, the girl does not. Same machine. Interesting. I think I will start wasting the first drop, as what could it hurt?? Interesting stuff. Who knew??

Thanks !!

Thanks !!

Hi Gail and all,

I can see I have a lot to learn about this and I really appreciate all of your input.

As soon as I find out if I can afford this...grin..I'm sure I'll have tons of Q's. It's great to know that so many of you are experienced users and are nice enuf to share your knowledge.

Looks like this is a great group of people...Thanks everyone !!!

Zipper *~*

P.S. Gail..U R only about 1 1/2 hr from where I am !

Hi Everybody!

Hi Everybody!

I've tried to keep up with all this info. David, my husband, wants to get this system, hopefully this year if insurance will pay, since we have already racked up a good sum with the insurance.
How does this ProTime M System compare with the accuracy of the Coagucheck? How much are the strips you use? And cant you just use an electric connection instead of batteries?
Thanks
sherrie

Answers for you Sher

Answers for you Sher

Hi Sher,

As far as accuracy, both the CoaguChek and the ProTime are more accurate than having your INR checked at the lab. I am partial to the ProTime since I have one, but I would trust either machine before I would trust a lab. And I worked in a lab for 10 years so I know first hand what goes on there.

The Protime can be run on either batteries or AC while plugged into a wall outlet. It's just convenient to use the battery option if traveling, or in my case, while kicking back on the couch watching TV while I test. :) I believe the CoaguChek can be run either way also.

QAS (the US Distrubutor for the ProTime) is a sponsor of this site and visits this forum regularly. They will also respond to any other questions you may have.

Home testing is the way to go no matter what machine you get. It gives you self security and it's safer to be more self aware of your INR.

ProTime

ProTime

Sher , both instruments are very reliable and work. The Coaguchek is not available to patients,so we are the only monitor currently available to patients. I suggest you also start the process soon as some insurance companies take 2 months to decide if they will cover the monitor. The ProTime Instrument uses a rechargable battery and test are ten dollars each. They come in boxes of 6 or 25.

Last edited:
Thank you for all this info...

Thank you for all this info...

Can you also tell me what exactly the difference is between "protime" and "INR"?
I've heard the INR is more accurate???
I'm on the chat room right now, if anybody is there???

INR VS. ProTime

INR VS. ProTime

Hello,

The INR is the calculation on the pt seconds and the reagent being used in the test. The PT is in seconds, and there is more room for error. Most Dr.'s we are seeing look at only the INR, but there are some Dr.'s that remain with the PT seconds. I would say that most patients that use the ProTime System look mainly at the INR. I hope this helps, and thanks for your post.

Lance

Latest posts

Back