Home Testing Machines

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Laura

Need some help please! I saw my surgeon today and asked about testing my protime at home. She said she supports it, but apparently because it did not go over well in our area, she doesn't have a contact to try to get me a machine. She asked if I could get some Doctors names and manufacturers of those of you who use the home testing. I would appreciate any help I can get. Please email any helpful information to [email protected]

Great appreciate your assistance!:)

INR home testing

INR home testing

Laura,

I got my protime unit from Quality Assured Services, I am VERY happy with it. Also very happy with the follow up service. They are great people.

Call 800-298-4515 and talk to Lance. He?s a great guy, he?ll answer all your questions and help you with your insurance. Or go to www.hometestmed.

My cardiologist had no problem writing me a prescription. He?s a wonderful doctor .... Dr. Bruce Andrea in Durango, CO

See my new post on "Avocet hits the dust" The only other anticoagulation home monitor is Coagucheck by Roche. However they are no longer taking new orders. I'm sorry, I didn't see this post before posting new.

Perhaps HCFA's belated announcement this week that a decision on PT home monitor Medicare coverage had yet again been postponed, citing "complexities" has had an impact on this industry.

STRAYZE

Hi Steve,

If Avocet is going out of business then the only 2 ProThrombin INR Testing units available to us are the ProTime and the Coaguchek units.

Rob

Last edited:
And Roche is no longer selling Coaguchecks for home use. Guess the indecision of insurance companies, especially HCFA affects this somehow.

Hey Steve,

That really narrows the choices available to us for home testing. But, I purchased my ProTime a few months ago, and I am extremely pleased with it. The results come very close to the lab veiness blood draw. My home tests was within 1/10th of a decimal of the lab test results. Home = 2.3 Lab = 2.4

My cardiologist is even going to purchase one for his office to use.

Rob

Available PT Monitors

Available PT Monitors

Hi there,

For what its worth Roche are still supplying the Coaguchek unit or rather a newer version of the same ( coaguchek + I think), for personal use.

I was offered a unit after my Op in Feb the only thing holding me off is the cost at about £500, cant get the ins co to stumpup the cash just yet.

As another point of interest my checks are done in my GP's surgery every 2 - 4 weeks, ( depends on how well behaved I have been), and it is an earlier version of the Coaguchek which is used to carry out the process.

David

David Y,
I presume your are in Britain. I've pestered the Roche folks earlier this year several times, to be told no marketing in the U.S. Perhaps I'll check this out again- - -

STRAYZE

Hi Laura.. I purchased my Protime unit from Quality Assured Services in Florida, and am very happy with it. My Insurance refuses to cover it, and I just received my fourt denial today. SHAME ON HEALTH NET OF ARIZONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it is worth the money and gives me the peace of mind that we Coumadin users need.
The follow up with QAS is excellent, and Sue Barrett has called me several times to make sure that I am doing okay with it.
I messed up quite a few times in the beginning, and wasted about 6 cuvettes and tenderlets, but they sent me a box of 6 free of charge. That was great customer service I thought!
I have had a few problems like that the Tenderlet won't draw the blood so I have to try again. Then other times I cannot get a big enough cut in my finger, and am having an awful time getting the blood out of my finger in the 2 minutes that are allowed. But I got the hang of it now, and check myself once or twice a week.
If you want any more information, just ask me or e-mail me.
[email protected]

Take Care,

Christina

Last edited:
Hi Christina,

I'm not expecting any insurance reimbursement from Medicare- - but perhaps I should put in a claim with in the hopes that previous claims will be considered when and if HCFA makes their decision. It seems that one is on one's own with regard to most things in life.

(This is the way Medicare works on other things like the 60K/yr for life interferon treatment available only in my neighboring state PA- - makes moving to PA sound attractive.)

With regard to the finger stick and getting enough blood: I'm sure that is an art that you have mastered by now.

Have you found it to be easier with the pinkie finger?

STRAYZE

Hi Strayze.. No, I have not tried the pinky finger yet, but have thought about it.
In the beginning when I first received the machine I was a nervous wreck each time I had to do a test, because the 2 minutes did not seem enough to get the blood out. I have learned since then to warm my hand in very warm water. That gets the blood going to the tip of my fingers.
I still think it is difficult to get enough of a drop to let it fall off, because you should not "scrape". It depends also where you hit the skin, and certain places the skin tends to be thicker than other places. I tend to "scrape" a bit at times. It works most of the time. One time I got an air bubble and that caused an "error" message. I had to do it again and wasted $10.00. It won't be the last $10.00 I ever waste. LOL!!
But all of personel at QAS have been more than helpful to me and as I said in a previous post, Sue Barrett has called me already several times to make sure I am doing okay, and tells me every time that if I have any problems to give her a call.

Last edited:
Hello Christina,

Thanks for the bloodletting tips. I'll definitely try warm water, especially if my hands are cold. I've noticed in fingersticks for other purposes, my pinky really likes to donate as compared with the other fingers. I'm feeling bloodthirsty already.

STRAYZE

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

Thank you so much for all the information regarding the home machines. My surgeon definately supports it and is willing to try and find me a machine. Apparently no manufacturers directly solicit Harrisburg anymore so we are in search of them.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help!:)

Laura:
Good luck in securing a machine. QAS people can help you with names of clinics that use the same machine that is offered for home use. In March, when we were researching at home testing, ProTime Microcoagulation was the only one available for home testing in the USA. I called Roche and was told they were not making machines available for home use..at that time.

Christina:
A tip that might help you...We had the same problems you discussed at the start. The QAS nurse suggested that a cup of warm to hot water could be held to warm the fingers. Al uses a regular cup and grasps the bowl of the cup. He hasn't had a problem with getting blood flow since. The two minute limit is still intimidating even wiith me helping. Please be encourageed. The last few times the collection was done with more than a minute left.

Blanche,

Yes, Sue Barrett from QAS contacted me and asked me to try and warm my hand before a test, and that's what I've been doing with good results.
But the first month or so after I had purchased the machine I was a nervous wreck each time I had to do a test. The two minute time limit was intimidating. I also had problems with the "tenderlet" not drawing the blood into the machine a few times, and before that not making a deep enough cut in my finger to get several real good drops of blood.
My daughter said it was painful to watch me trying to get enough blood out of my finger. I was pushing so hard!. At one time I even pricked my finger with a needle after I had lanced it with the Tenderlet because I simply was unable to get enough blood out. That hurt!
Now I know where to lance the finger, and most of the time (knock on wood) I am succesfull in performing a perfect test. But believe me, I have wasted quite a few dollars in trying. LOL!

Christina

I could never get enough blood within the two minutes when using the "Tenderlett" to draw blood. I wasted about six of them along with the "Cuvette". I used hot water, I shook my arms, I rubbed my finger, I tried different fingers, I stayed standing, etc. Nothing worked with the "Tenderlett" to draw blood. QAS sent me 50 "Unistik 2" which works fine.

SierraBob,

My Teledyne Protime just arrived (ordered the day Avocet went bust while processing my order). If I can't get enough blood I'll suggest the "Unistix2" that you used instead of.

Wish me well.

STRAYZE

We are getting ready to leave on a six week travel trailer trip, so I had my doc draw blood for a protime INR comparison with the "ProTme Microcoagulation System". The INR results were identical, just as every comparison has been identical. I have been very careful that the tests have been within 30 minutes of each other. So, for those of you wondering about the accuracy of the home test kit, I would say "Go For It". It certainly puts ones mind at ease to test when you want to. Occasionally I have "Pigged out" on salad. I could check my INR and adjust accordingly. Regards, and will be back in about six weeks. Sierra Bob

Back