Home monitoring for coumadin. I have a mechanical heart valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Sheenas7 ......No matter the INR you get, Roche sends it to your doctor. They alert doctor right away if it’s out of range. Roche told me it’s required to report twice a month. They are fine with four times a month. They sent me more strips one week after I requested more. So far I’ve been very pleased with their service.
How much do they charge you when you report results?

I have Cigna and it looks like carecentrix bills my insurance ~$100 a month for my testing services. My insurance has never been charged more than $101 in a month for testing. I have been reporting every week. So far, Cigna has covered it. I haven’t had to pay anything out of pocket. Carecentrix/Cigna/Roche require you to report twice a month in order to keep the meter. Of course, you can report every week with no problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eva
Eva
They bill after supplies have been ordered and received. Typically they deliver 2 boxes of 6 strips in each box, but that could vary depending on your situation. The gross cost (if you have no insurance or are deemed ineligible by your insurance) is $250.00 (average= $20.83/test strip). Insurance however can reduce that via contracted amount (between Roche and your insurer), co-pay, co-insurance, deductible status, etc. What you will pay depends on your specific insurance situation. You should be able to get an estimate from your insurance company or Roche (or both ideally) to get an idea of your cost before signing up.

Eva
They bill after supplies have been ordered and received. Typically they deliver 2 boxes of 6 strips in each box, but that could vary depending on your situation. The gross cost (if you have no insurance or are deemed ineligible by your insurance) is $250.00 (average= $20.83/test strip). Insurance however can reduce that via contracted amount (between Roche and your insurer), co-pay, co-insurance, deductible status, etc. What you will pay depends on your specific insurance situation. You should be able to get an estimate from your insurance company or Roche (or both ideally) to get an idea of your cost before signing up.
Thanks for responding, RAS.
I have Medicare and BlueShield. Roche (very courteous and nice) told me they would charge me about $3/each test and give me the machine for free. It’s very good deal though I don’t want to call on my results!
After all back-and-forth hours spent with Roche, the doctor’s office, and insurance, my doctor sent prescription to Allere (out of the blue)!

Yeah, I would rather not have to report results either. I can manage the dosing on my own just fine. Unfortunately as others have noted, reporting results to Roche at least every 2 weeks is required to stay in enrolled in the Roche program. Reporting can be done via a phone call, entry on their web page, automatic bluetooth sync between the INR device and your mobile, or USB cable to computer. Other vendors may handle it differently. I'm not familiar with Alere's program. Another vender is Acelis, Acelis Connected Health. I would guess they have similar policies.

I have Cigna and MDINR. I am required to self check every week. Supplies are included and under my insurance my out of pocket costs are $40 a month which includes the CoaguCheck XS by Roche rent/lease.

Please see the link on page 46, is the manual from coagucheck inrange and say <<Do not press or squeeze the finger>>.
I follow the advice of the pellice with the rubber around the finger and I get a good drop. But does this affect the measurement?
Why are they writing this?
https://fccid.io/VO9MG10/Users-Manual/UserManual-2891802

Attachments

• Στιγμιότυπο 2020-09-11, 9.23.04 μμ.png
    Στιγμιότυπο 2020-09-11, 9.23.04 μμ.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 143
There is no calibration with the Coaguchek XS meter.....each set of strips comes with a "code chip" (30-second installation). No need to clean the machine. I just wipe the meter down occasionally. For the first few years I did, occasionally, check my meter against my docs (he uses the same mode). My doc gets my INR results from my servicing company and he manages my dosing......although he and I very seldom disagree with the few changes we make in dosing.
Hi Dick
My cardiologist had asked me how did my machine standardize before doing a test like the labs do. I told him that I thought it was done automatically with the Vantus I use and the strips Roche sends ne. That’s correct?
Hope so.

Hi Dick
My cardiologist had asked me how did my machine standardize before doing a test like the labs do. I told him that I thought it was done automatically with the Vantus I use and the strips Roche sends ne. That’s correct?
Hope so.

I think you are correct when you say the meter does an internal check prior to running an INR test when a strip is inserted. How it works I haven't the foggiest idea. Have your cardiologist contact Cleveland Clinic as I understand they discharge all mechanical valve patients with a home testing meter.

Latest posts

Back