Home from the hospital!!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyk

after 15 or 16 days in the hospital, due to bleeding. The first 5 days in ICU.
It’s great to be back home.
All the time there, I was questioning my medication. Of the different medication I take on a daily basis, the 100 mg of Metropol was as the one that I’ve been having the hardest time with.
Well, while being discharged, I questioned my cardiologist why, the entire time I was in the hospital, Metoprolol wasn’t given to me at all.
I was told to discontinue the Metoprolol and Lisinopril, as my vitals were fine the whole time I was there.
Today there was a noticeable difference in my heart rate. Almost to the point I was getting scared. At rest , my bpm was113 at one point.
I took a Metoprolol, 50 mg , cut it in half , and within 30 minutes my bpm was down to 81.
The next visit with the cardiologist is in 2 weeks,
im wondering if it’s ok to wait till my appointment to tell him what I’ve done? I don’t feel over medicated now, and my heart rate is within the normal range.

I want to say thank you to everyone who chatted with me while I was in the hospital.
You all helped me very much, and I’ll be forever grateful!!

hi

Jimmyk;n884218 said:
after 15 or 16 days in the hospital, due to bleeding. The first 5 days in ICU.
It’s great to be back home.

Glad you are back home :)

All the time there, I was questioning my medication. Of the different medication I take on a daily basis, the 100 mg of Metropol was as the one that I’ve been having the hardest time with.
Well, while being discharged, I questioned my cardiologist why, the entire time I was in the hospital, Metoprolol wasn’t given to me at all.
I was told to discontinue the Metoprolol and Lisinopril, as my vitals were fine the whole time I was there.
Today there was a noticeable difference in my heart rate. Almost to the point I was getting scared. At rest , my bpm was113 at one point.
I took a Metoprolol, 50 mg , cut it in half , and within 30 minutes my bpm was down to 81.

well that's what it does ... (lower HR), but it also sapps your energy and does not give your body the opportunity to find equilibrium by itself. It could be you're just used to being on it (like a person gets used to being on nicotine) and interestingly depression is listed as a known side effect of metoprolol ... I'm not a doctor but if doctors at a hospital said you were fine without it ... maybe that's a "free" second opinion?

Hope you liked the virtual bike trip ;-) I know it sounds like a little outboard motor, but its actually 500cc

Best Wishes

Glad to hear you are home. It's always a good feeling returning home from the hospital. I'd also recommend following the doctors orders Best wishes going forward

Well done for making it home! I'm on day two puss surgery and still climbing that cloud! They drug us up so much here it must be tempting to keep it going

I have read that it is not advisable to go "cold turkey" on beta-blockers, but that it should be a gradual reduction. Therefore you have probably done the best thing by taking a reduced dose, and personally I would continue on this dose if you are finding it strikes a good balance. It is not like you are taking lots more - but be honest when you see the doc.

Welcome home, Jimmi!! I'm just a few weeks ahead of you, and I wish you the best in sorting out the meds!

Latest posts

Back