Home from hospital!!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginas

Don't know if you will remember me or not but I wrote a post a few weeks ago about being scared. Things kind of sped up and I really did not have much time to be scared after all. About a week after I wrote the post my ankles started swelling and I called and they said come on in and check in we don't need to wait any more. I had not even met with the surgeon about doing the surgery. I checked in the hospital and 1 day later I am being wheeled to the OR. I was in ICU for a day and then up to my room. Walking on day 3 and home on day 6. I am getting bored and have only been home for 4 days. I had my first blood draw on Thursday and my next one is this coming Monday. I can't say I have had alot of pain other than my shoulders feel like something heavy is sitting on them. Hot showers help. I miss my Advil. I hope to go back to work next Wednesday I know that is fast but I won't get a pay check if I don't and I sit at a desk so it should not be to hard. So far everything has gone very smooth please let me know of any thing I need to watch for. I am trying to use that little breathing devise but I really hate it I would much prefer to walk. Went to Walmart yesterday and did some shopping but mostly just been at home so far.

Gina
Aortic Valve Replacement (mechanical)
July 20, 2011

WOW, Gina....if my math is correct, you are going back to work only two weeks(7/20-8/3) off the operating table. That's amazing, but be careful that you don't undue what appears to be a very fast recovery. You're setting a pretty high bar for yourself:thumbup:. Congrats on a very successful surgery.

Great Gena, as I said many times the waiting is hell and the surgery is a blessing. With that said going back to work that fast is not a good idea, no matter how you feel, God will help out, RECOVER FIRST!!!!!!

If I did something besides sit at a desk I think I would worry more. I also have a great group at work and a sick room so if I feel tired I will be able to go lay down for a bit and they will cover for me. Believe me I know it is pushing it but I also would not be doing it if my doctor was not going to be monitoring me. He has written out what I can and can not do and how many rest breaks he wants me to have and my job is very happy to follow it. If I see after a few days I can't handle it I will just have to figure something else out. But I do think going to work will help me more than hurt me, at home I know me I won't do anything but sit and watch TV, at least at work I will be up and moving around some.

Wow I can't believe that you are able to get back at it so quickly. Words of warning, pay attention to what your body tells you. Over stressing yourself so soon after your surgery could knock you on your butt real quickly. It is good to hear that you are able to get up and go this soon! One of my old bosses at work had the same kind of experience as yours, it was a walk in the park for him.. so good luck, be careful! Hugs!

Latest posts

Back