Home At Last

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Getzfixed

Well after much to do about a low Inr and a possible infection, the surgeon sprung me on tue. I was in my room feeling sorry for myself when he came in and asked me "what the hell are you still doing here" He informed me that my inr was on an upward track and that with the helpof a coated asprin i should be fine. I did arrive home with a pic line for antibiotics, but I'm very happy to be out. The only way I could sleep in there was to get so tired I would pass out-not often enough. I'm so happy to be home that the extra 4 days don't even matter now. I want to thank all of the kind people on this page who took the time to share their thoughts and prayers with me and my family. You took a situation that was unbearable and helped make it managable. Now that I'm a veteran, I can't wait to share my experiences with others.
Getz

Welcome home Getz-

From now on everything will be on an upward trend. Congrats on being sprung.

Tell us all about it when you can.

Welcome Home

Welcome Home

Glad you are doing so well. The INR numbers are a pain in the you know where. But it is a small price to pay to be healthy again. I just went the round of low INR for two weeks and hope the upper numbers stay up. I went into the hospital once over low INR and not ready anytime soon to go back in. You just do as the doctor says and do your walking. You will keep getting better, just don't rush, take your time. You will be speed demon soon enough. You hang in there. We are cheering you on.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

"There's no place like home!"

"There's no place like home!"

I am happy you got out and that things seem to be on the upswing!
I was in hospital many months last year and it was as tidious as it can be. It is so much easier to recover in the comfort of your own home! The first thing I did after coming home having spent 3 months in hospital non-stop was to throw myself in my own bed and SLEEP

:) ! I am sure you know the feeling :) !

Take care,

/Jessica

Well bless your heart, Getz (pun intended). So glad you are home again. Now the real recuperation begins and as time goes by you will know that all you went through was worth it. And you will be able to encourage others who have to travel the same road as you and the rest of us have done. God bless:)

Great news

Great news

I'm glad to hear that they finally sprung you from U. Penn and the worst part in now behind you. I can only imagine how happy you are to be home and how much your family is enjoying having you there again.

If you have any information that you'd like to share about the hospital, please post it or send me an e-mail. I'll be going there for MV repair or replacement and AVR on 2/26 with Dr. Acker.

By the way, I think you and I are the only two Eagles fans in this forum, so we have to root hard for them this Sunday, and again next week if they can make that far.

Ron K:)

Hi GETZ,

Congrat's on your successful surgery! Don't worry so much about your INR levels. It will stabilize soon after you get back to your normal everyday routine. As you begin to feel better and do more, your body will burn up more of the Coumadin so to speak, and you need to adjust your dose. but, as you get back to your normal life style.. so will your INR.

There is so much information on here about Coumadin, you may want to do a search on the site for all Coumadin articles.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!!!

Rob

U of Penn

U of Penn

Ron K
I hope that my last few days in the hospital did not give you the wrong impression. Overall I feel I received top notch care. The frustrating part, and I'm gonna take a scapegoat, was a surgical fellow who twice promised me I'd be going home-when I wasn't. I was fuly prepared to spend a week in,so 8 days really isn't too bad. However this nimrod came in on the 4th day and told me maybe that day but certainly in time for the eagles/chic game. Then on Mon. morn he told me to pack my bags and call my wife and he was yet again over ruled by an attending. Frustrating, huh. Up until then I got along with everybody on staff. After that, I left my curtain shut and avoided people. The one thing I'll warn you about is be prepared to wait. One nurse told me they can fix anything there. They just can't do it on time. Probably true of most hospitals? My final thought is this: If something else goes wrong I'll go right back to U of Penn, not Jeff. or Honamin? or Temple or Presby. Good luck Ron. If you have any specific questions for me or my wife please email. Go Birds E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles
Getz

Welcome Home Getz!!

Welcome Home Getz!!

Now don't let that football game make your heart rate overactive!

This dejected Bears fan may even say a small prayer for the Eagles (just because McNabb is from here) but I don't think there's much chance (outside of a miracle) that the Eagles can control those Rams. They made the Packers look like.....well, I can't exactly describe it.

Anyway, take good care and welcome home again.

Go Eagles, I guess.

Getz - Great to see you are home. They had me for ten days in Cleveland, so don't complain. I was planning my escape if they didn't let me go.My surgery was last year and I got to watch the Giants rout the Vikings while I was in the ICU. Anyway, just wanted to wish you luck on further recovery and congrats on the successful surgery.

hi getz!
glad to hear you're home and well on your way to recovery. the worst is over!
please just take it slowly and try not to rush your recovery; it will all come in good time.
thank you for keeping us up to date.
be well,
sylvia

Traveling-flying

Traveling-flying

Hi!
I have a question regarding flying. My husband and I love traveling. We went (driving) to Ithaca, 4 hours in the car, this weekend to see our daughter. This was our maiden voyage. He did OK, except for fluid retention, and he was very tired yesterday.....so that he couldn't do anything. (two days away, one day to recover.....)
We are really hoping to return to France or Italy this coming May.
I am VERY concerned about the flight.......etc. At that point he would be 7 months post op.
I think we should plan on doing something else.....less tiring, and no exposure to fluid issues with the long flight.
I would really appreciate any comments.

Marybeth

hi marybeth!
joey and i travelled to aruba (4 hour flight) when he was 3 months post-op. he does get up and walk about the cabin every so often anyway, so that was good. it didn't seem to bother him one bit. he watched what he ate _ no or less salt in flight (i brought a sandwich and cut up veggies, unsalted nuts and healthy stuff for the plane).
then, 3 weeks later, he flew down to fla. on a golf outing for a few days. that didn't bother him either.
we are taking a big trip (3 hours and then a half hour puddle jumper) in about 3 weeks and i'm sure he'll be fine then too.

we are in the process of planning a biking, hiking, rafting trip in montana and then driving down to wyoming this summer.
again, i don't foresee any problems.

i would definitely recommend that your husband walk around the plane during the flight. maybe rest up a bit (nap). have you asked your dr? ours said it would be fine. and then, ask what meds you should take with you, just incase. for ex., amoxicillin, etc.
hope this was helpful. hope you have a fun time if you go.
by the way, where do you live? it takes us about 4-4 1/2 hrs to get to ithaca. our daughter just got in there. still waiting to hear from the rest of them though.
good luck and be well and please let us know what you decide to do.
-sylvia

Hi Sylvia:

Thank you for the information. Is your husband in CHF or have atrial fibrillation?

Great news about your daughter! My daughter's husband is teaching at Cornell. He is in the Navy, served in the Gulf, and was assigned to the ROTC unit at Cornell. Only 28 years old, and a resume that would knock you over!

Is your daughter going to Cornell or Ithaca College. We live in Western Massachusetts....

My husband always walks around during flights. But the last time, in April, his feet didn't go down for weeks. This was, of course, before he went to a second doctor and was diagnosed with CHF/a-fib/dual valves. The first DR. said he had pneumonia, but never did a chest xray, even though he went to see her three times. Thank you for the info, though. It really helps!
Marybeth

Just a little hint about flying - they are now telling us that everybody should get up and walk around the plane during flight so as to not hinder blood flow to legs/feet. Happy flights!

Yes, Hensylee is correct. When I fly.....never sit for longer than an 1-1/2 without getting up. Even with this routine...on long flights my ankles have swelled a little. Next time we have an extended flight...thought I would bring along my hospital stockings.

Unfortunately, leaving your seat could potentially open up another can of worms if you hit turbulence. I try not to think about it. Also....reserving a window seat is highly recommended for us 'Coumarians'. For obvious reasons baggage, service carts, etc. Have had the occasional close call with carry ons swinging close by my head. Something I never gave a second thought to prior to Coumadin.

hey marybeth,
my daughter got into ithaca college, but hates the cold weather. i have a cousin who goes to cornell. he's a junior majoring in government and economics. he's spending the semester in wash, dc.though.
can't wait till this college thing is behind us! then, i'll have it all to do again in 3 years!!

gina,
wow! i never thought about the risks of sitting in an aisle seat. i'd better mention it to my dad; he travels quite a bit and is a "coumarian".
hope you guys are doing well.
-sylvia

Progress report

Progress report

Hi Getz,

It's been a couple of weeks since you were released from the hospital. How's it going? I'd be very interested in hearing from you before go in next week.

'Hope all is well with you and the family.

Ron K.

Hi Ron,
Thanks for asking, I think I'm doing fine. My walking routine is going well, my INR is in range(for now), and my pic line has been removed. Work can't be too far behind. I see the surgeon on Tues 19th, when do you go in? Who are you seeing at Penn? I haven't posted because I've been in a holding pattern and haven't had anything interesting to share. Good luck.
Getz

Getz, glad to hear your home and doing well. Your story about dates of going home sound all too familiar to me. They tried to put a pic line in a couple different times, to no avail. I ended up staying an extra 10 days for the antibiotics. By the time it was over, I think I would have tried to walk out. Probably wouldn't have gotten far, but I was at the end of my ropes when it came to let downs.

I had to share that with you.

By the way, how hard of a time did they have putting your pic line in?

Back