Home at Last

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi to Everyone,

As you know I had my AVR surgery on Wed Jan 2nd
and all went well, I was given a mechanical valve and everything seems to be okay

I had the surgery Wed 9am and I believe it lasted for about 5 hours, the calcification on the valve was so bad that it had dripped on to the Mitral valve so that had to be cleaned off

I was on the ventilator in ICU for 7 hours, I do not remember very much about the time in ICU, my only memory is of the kind caring people who were with me , I do not even recall my husband Bill coming in to see me,I went back to the normal ward at Thursday lunch time.

The chest drains and catheter were removed Thursday evening.

I do not tolerarate anesthetic very well so I was feeling groggy
the nursing staff had to help me wash etc so most of Friday was spent drifting in and out of sleep

By the Saturday I was eating small meals and walking by myself to the bathroom I,d had a shower and washed my hair so I felt good
But I had developed a rash on my chest, I have an allergic reaction to the antiiootic cephtriaxone (which I had informed them of) but I had been given 3 doses of Cephataxeem so we were a bit worried, the rash then spread all over and was very itchy and red and sore, I eventually saw a dermotologist and he comfirmed it was the Cephataxeem, I was given cream and antihistimine tablets and it now seems to be improving

My scar is looking nice and clean, I am still taking some pain meds but I feel great I am walking about but not too far yet I do not want to overdo it too soon

I am so happy to be on the Other Side of the Mountain
the help and support from the group helped me so much

Thank you for all the messages Rob (my son) printed them off
it was lovley to know so many were thinking of me

I hope all the others who had surgery in early Jan have done as well as I and are recovering

ps my valve is a Bi leaflet made by Sulzer Carbomedics does any one else have this valve or any idea where I can find out aout it

Thanks to you All

Jan

Hey Jan

Hey Jan

Jan ..so glad to see you home and so pleased to hear that things went okay ....you must be glad it is all over ..you take care of your self and don't try and do too much too quickly ..thinking of you here so keep dropping in and let us know how your recovery goes
Scottie

Glad Everything went well for you! Just becareful not to over
do it at home. Let someone else look after you for awhile.
Happy Recovery!
:) Judy

Hey Jan - glad to see you on this side of the mountain. One day soon you will be encouraging others. You were in my prayers. Had a CT scan Tuesday, had to be very still for awhile and when captive, I took advantage of the quiet time and said my prayers for all my friends and heartbuddies. Before it was over tho I ran out of people to pray for! Know you are happy to be at home again. Thanks to your son, Rob. He did so well in informing us of your progress. Keep on doin well and don't sneeze, if you can help it. God bless

Hi Jan-

Gee-you sound so good, you've really "aced it".May you have a very uneventful recovery.

Congratulations!

Hi Jan,

Glad to see you up and posting. You have indeed gone through the worst. Now its just the patience of recovery.

Be Well.

Ann

Jan, you sound really good and it is sort of a rite of passage back to the world to be posting on your own, isn't it?

Thoughts and prayers by all here were with you while you were gone. Keep us posted as your recovery progresses.

Congratulations on having it over--your New Year's gift to yourself!

Jennifer

Jan
Welcome to the otherside of that big Mountain!! Its great to be here! Sorry that you had a nasty rwaction to the antibiotic..those itches are so annoying. You will get stronger every day. Keep your pillow close by and do your breathing and walking..and before you know it..you will be home!!
Best wishes for a speeddy recovery
Joan

Great to be home

Great to be home

Hi Jan

It's great to hear that you are now back home and everything is ok. The worst part is over and you can now look forward. Will have to take things easy for a while but in 2 to 3 months you should be feeling a lot fitter. I had my op on 7th January and got home on Sunday 13th. They're not long in kicking you out. I'm up and about and try to walk every day. The weather's not very nice at the moment but the first dry day and we are heading for the park. Take care.

Peachy

Well done

Well done

Hi Jan,

sounds like you came through really well. I can thoroughly recommend a daily walk while you recover - just make sure you don't overdo it! I got up to walking 7 miles - our two dogs thought they'd died and gone to heaven!!
You can now look forward to enjoying the rest of your life.

Simon

Hi Everyone
The recovery is going well, I cannot beleive how much better I am feeling, I have taken a walk each day but I also make sure I get some rest, Thanks for the kind thoughts and advice it really does help

Good thoughts to you All
Jan

future happy life!

future happy life!

Hi Jan,
From another Northern 'pudlian'- a 'blackpudlian'...well done!( or am I just a woolyback??!!).I wonder how many of our American heart buddies know what that is!Now you can recuperate and look forward to your future happy life. the anaesthetic can make you pretty tearful at times for quite a long time after, and sometimes GROUCHY...soooo enjoy the excuse for a bit!loasdsa love
debs xxx:D :D

Back