Holy Crap - Surgery on 3 valves!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouLou

Hi everyone. I got the call today from Cleveland Clinic, my surgeon is going to be Dr. Gillinov.
There was a lot of information given to me so I need to have a follow up call to ask some more questions but...
the surgeon is recommending replacement of the Aortic and tricuspid (I think they said replace, maybe it was repair for Tricuspid).
He is going to do further testing pre-surgery to make a determination on the Mechanical Mitral valve that is 24 years old. They did state that the mitral appears to be well seated.
I have never heard of anyone having 3 valves replaced - I'm thinking this a BIG deal - surgery is scheduled for October 10th.

I think I'll go throw-up now!

Tammy

Oy vey, that is a lot. I hope the mitral is doing okay. But after 24 years, if it's going to need to come out anytime within the next five years anyway, I would imagine it's better to do it at the same time as the others. Good luck and keep us posted.

I am not sure but the aortic valve is either a bicuspid or a tricuspid valve. He may be talking about the same valve. Hopefully everything turns out ok. Praying for you.

Heck if you're going to have some plumbing work, you may as well go the Full Monty and get ALL the plumbing work! :) It may seem like a lot but it's just one operation during which you will be asleep - although maybe for a bit longer than just wth one valve!

Best of lucj from down under!

I am not sure but the aortic valve is either a bicuspid or a tricuspid valve. He may be talking about the same valve..

I assume its this one

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricuspid_valve
600px-Diagram_of_the_human_heart_%28cropped%29.svg.png

I hope you are correct knotguilty. I do know my Aortic Valve is tricuspid and stenotic. I also know that I have moderate Tricuspid Valve regurgitation. I am fairly certainly I heard it right, unfortunately. Hey, the good news is - my pulmonary valve is normal!

Thanks you guys - I am confident in my surgeon and the hospital so I will make it.

Tammy

Ugh. I've had 3 valves done, plus the maze procedure, but in 2 separate surgeries: MVR & Maze in 2006, then AVR + tricuspid repair in 2010. The TVRep was because of all the wires from the pacer/defib making the valve saggy.

That's a lot of plumbing work at one time for you. Hopefully your mitral is in good shape and doesn't need replaced, but hey, if it does, they're in there, and if you are tolerating the surgery well, better to get it all done at once. Provided your condition is good overall.

I'm with you: hey, I'm happy I've got ONE that works like it should!!!!

WOW - that's a lot - but yeah like others have said.....if it has to be all three, then better to get it all done in one shot!!!

Thinking of you!

Back