Hit the 2mi walking barrier :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan B

First time I did 2 miles today. It was 80* and sunny today so I decided to go for it after several days at 1.5mi. I actually worked up a sweat...lol. As a matter of fact I just got done and I am sweating like a pig.

I did 0.5mi for a few days. I then did 1mi for about a week (even with the cough), then 1.5mi for about a week, and now I'm moving up to 2mi for this week. Boy I can really feel it in my lungs when I'm done. Gotta do that walking to get your lungs totally back to being fully expanded. Trust me I have had to force myself to take those walks on many of the days. :D

Bryab - How I wish I had your weather to facilitate my recivery. At this time of year, we get one or two nice days, then it is back into the 40's or so for several days. Can't plan anything. We were out downtown much of the day today, going to and from check-up appointments and tests. That took a lot of energy, but I'm not "worn out" yet. Maybe by next week or so, I'll be ready for longer walks, and maybe our weather will allow it.

Keep up the good work. You're an inspiration for me, and for others on our schedules.

You deserve a nice 6-pack of cold beer.:biggrin2: Keep up the good work.:thumbup:

I had half of them. If I do 2.5mi tomorrow I get the other half. :biggrin2:

My goal is to increase by 1/2 mile a week until I can play golf again and walk the course. That is a nice hike especially with a bag of clubs on your back.

Nice work!

Steve-I had my surgery last summer and I was hesitant to walk outside due to the heat/ humidity. Somebody recommended going to an indoor shopping mall (I believe Woodfield is near your neck of the woods).

Bryan, I'm glad to hear you doing well. Getting the lungs fully inflated and functioning again is so important to everything else. I understand completely when you say that on some days you have to push yourself. I think we have all felt the same way at times. Bryan, I'm curious, how would you compare the progress of your recovery now with your experience in 2004?

Larry

Bryan, I'm glad to hear you doing well. Getting the lungs fully inflated and functioning again is so important to everything else. I understand completely when you say that on some days you have to push yourself. I think we have all felt the same way at times. Bryan, I'm curious, how would you compare the progress of your recovery now with your experience in 2004?

Larry

Larry,

I think I am ahead of schedule compared to my first surgery. The walking is not much different but I started walking earlier this time. I think knowing what to expect also took much of the anxiety out of the recovery and I just went with the flow this time. If I have a good day I do more and if I have a bad day I just chill out and I know it will pass. Last time if I had a bad day I would start wondering what was wrong with me. Also...and I'm not sure why, but I have had much less pain and soreness then the first surgery. I was able to sleep in the bed and on my side from the day I got home...actually the last 2 days in the hospital as well after getting my last chest tube out. I'm not sure if that is surgeon related or not. Unfortunately (in this case) experience has made the recovery easier IMO. :)

Having said that I still don't want to do it again....but I have a tissue valve so if I outlive it (which I hope I do) I will have to have it replaced whether by catheter or the "old fashioned" way.

Steve the "end of the snow tunnel" is near. Keep walking wherever you can, but there is nothing like breathing the fresh air as you walk. Spring might be here already but it is just around the corner for you. Even if you get a dry day in the 40's you can bundle up and take a walk. Once you get to the point where you are walking over a mile you will work up some body heat. I was sweating the last 3 days I've walked. Of course it was 75, 83, and 81. If it makes you feel any better we are supposed to have a cold snap after the next front with temps dropping back down into the 50's for a couple of days. :biggrin2:

I would take 50's any day now. Currently it is 27 here, with nasty windy colder weather predicted for tonight. Will have to investigate indoor walking opportunities for a while. Even the grocery store with the wife can be a workout. . .

I would take 50's any day now. Currently it is 27 here, with nasty windy colder weather predicted for tonight. Will have to investigate indoor walking opportunities for a while. Even the grocery store with the wife can be a workout. . .

Steve if it makes you feel any better the last two days before today didn't get out of the 40's and last night it got down to about 32* (with everything blooming).

My main reason for posting is that I cracked the 3mi barrier today. Was hoping to do it earlier but had a couple of bad weather days and a couple of days i didn't feel too good and just did a quick mile in the driveway. Today was upper 50's and sunny (perfect walking temp) and I felt pretty good so I just kept going.

Impressive, Bryan! I started Cardio Rehab kind of late, around 3 weeks ago, and interrupted it for a week of pretty energetic downhill skiing in Whistler! (My second Whistler ski week post-op.)

My initial cardio "prescription" was for one 16-minute mile 5x/week, and they just bumped me up to TWO 16-minute miles, 5x/week. Plus ~5 mins of warmup and cooldown each time. They recommended ramping up gradually. I did 1 3/8 miles yesterday in class, no problem. My lungs seem 100% normal, and I was just getting "moist" by the end of the walk. My HR seemed to recover a bit during the last 1/8-mi lap (from ~127 to ~120), which is wild. I find the 16-minute-mile pace a very fast walk, never having been a great walker. (I MUCH prefer bicycling!) Not a great distance runner, either, so I hope they don't expect me to jog.

We're still mostly unseasonably cold here in Toronto (with many snowy patches still on the lawns!), but it's been nice and sunny since we returned from Whistler. Must walk. . .

Back