High systolic blood pressure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DachsieMom

So work has been ridiculously stressful lately. On Friday, I felt like I almost fainted at my desk, and my coworker mentioned that she’s been hearing my heartbeat much more frequently. I was fine yesterday. My 11 year old and I did heavy yard work, which included digging out these enormous, well rooted heavy bushes with shovels. I am only 100 lbs and she is 82 lbs so it really was very difficult (but we were so proud of ourselves!). I felt crummy today. Just took my bp and it was 157/77. I should remember that I always feel crummy after heavy yard work. I have no restrictions per my dr but perhaps I just listen to my body.
I need to start sleeping better and reducing stress. Hoping this is just temporary spikes in bp. I haven’t taken my bp in ages, but it’s been fine at random dr appointments. Rambling because I guess I’m scared....just had fine check up a month ago at my cardio. AVR was 4 years ago.

A reading of 155/77 is consistent with being stressed. Home readings can be more accurate than doctor’s readings when you are a bit tense. If several readings remain persistently elevated even when you are properly relaxed, then a doctor review is needed. Hopefully, it is all fine.

Hi, there was a good thread recently covering BP, the post by @Eva was particularly good.

I wouldn't worry about a one off high BP it's only a snapshot, and as you mentioned it could be stress.
It may be dehydration or a variety of other things.

It may be worth keeping a record and buying your own BP device ( if you don't already have one )

Here is the thread https://www.valvereplacement.org/threads/inconsistent-bp-med-changes.887307/

Best wishes

Because you and your environment change with time, you should monitor your blood pressure every so often. I used to do it twice a year, once before my annual physical and then before my cardio visit. I take a reading every day or so at the same time until I get about 7-10 readings.

I had stopped doing that because my BP was OK in the doctor's office and I used to be high in their office. However at my annual checkup, they found some "protein" in my urine and my BP was OK. Later my BP was like yours 155/77 in the nephrologists office who I had to visit due to the protein. The nephrologist ordered costly tests including a 24-hr urine sample (no fun.) I monitored it at home for a week and it turned out I was running high and needed an adjustment in my BP medications. After my dosage was increased, I monitored for another week and my BP was back down and a few months later I had no more protein in my urine. Supposedly the BP medication I take, lisinopril also helps your kidneys as a "side effect."

So work has been ridiculously stressful lately. On Friday, I felt like I almost fainted at my desk, and my coworker mentioned that she’s been hearing my heartbeat much more frequently. I was fine yesterday. My 11 year old and I did heavy yard work, which included digging out these enormous, well rooted heavy bushes with shovels. I am only 100 lbs and she is 82 lbs so it really was very difficult (but we were so proud of ourselves!). I felt crummy today. Just took my bp and it was 157/77. I should remember that I always feel crummy after heavy yard work. I have no restrictions per my dr but perhaps I just listen to my body.
I need to start sleeping better and reducing stress. Hoping this is just temporary spikes in bp. I haven’t taken my bp in ages, but it’s been fine at random dr appointments. Rambling because I guess I’m scared....just had fine check up a month ago at my cardio. AVR was 4 years ago.
Have you done a resting BP? Just rest for five minutes before taking BP and see what the readings are. IT could be from stress. Good luck.

Back