High resting heart rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Earlier this year I had MVR - St Judes Mechanical Valve. Due to infective Endocarditis

Ever since I woke up my surgery (close to 7 months ago) my resting HR Is between 90 - 100 bpm. Pre-surgery it was about 60 - 70. My surgeon / doctor have no issues and aren't worried.

Has anyone else gone through this! Why is it happening?

I know after my last heart surgery my resting heart rate stayed elevated for a long time. Up over 90 for sure. I don’t remember how long. Take that as a positive. I’m sitting around 57 or so these days. It’s been 9 years.

Reactions: Eva
Hi

Elevated HR after surgery is common, Heart surgery is very stressful to the body.

Have you been given any beta blockers Post surgery ? is your HR just elevated or do you suffer with Afib ?

The rate should settle with time once everything calms down, 7 months is still pretty new.

My experience before my AVR was resting pulse ~ 60
post surgery for around 6 months ~ 80 with Afib

fast forward 8 years , pulse ~ 48 - 50

I was on beta blockers for 6 months after surgery this calmed things down it sort of gives your Heart a holiday so it can recovery from the trauma.

I found things were settled around 12 months post opp

Wishing you all the best with your recovery

My resting heart rate has always been 100 or higher. I take the beta blocker Metoprolol. The research assistant I saw on 10/12 on my research study follow up was concerned because it was 103 at that time (I'd forgotten to take my Metroprolol that morning). She said it would be a red flag to the research team. I told her I wasn't worried because my HR just seems to be high in general. Are you on a beta blocker?

. . . Or you could have a post-op experience like mine.

Pre-surgery, my RHR was in the mid to high 40's. We attributed it to over 30 years of daily running/jogging.
Then came AVR surgery.
After surgery, to make a long story short, my resting heart rate was sometimes zero! Trust me, it is no fun to watch your own hospital monitor go "flat-line." I had so many long pauses (up to 20-30 seconds) that I now have a pacemaker. It is set to a minimum RHR of 60 BPM.

I'll bet that your heart rate will gradually diminish, especially as your general health and fitness come back to baseline.

Reactions: Eva
I had AVR in Feb for unknown critical aortic stenosis (bicuspid valve) - only found because I was going to have back surgery and they wanted clearance because of a murmur I had always had.

Pre replacement my resting HR was 60's (exerciser) after it was always 90's - 100's. Over seven months it has slowly come back down, Especially in the the last two. Cardiologist said it was because my heart was used to pumping really hard to get that trickle of blood through my trashed valve and that it would take time to quit pumping that hard (muscle memory). The elevated rate was the combo of all that blood flow from the new valve and my muscle still thinking it had to push hard. I kind of obsessed about it. Needlessly it seems now LOL.

i think i will be in a similar position

wouldnt surprise me if my resting heart rate after surgery is around the 90 mark for a while aswell

often wondered how it can be so low right now, given how trashed my valve must be at this point

Pre AVR, RHR was 50-55, now some 20 months later, 55-60 with no elevated rate just after surgery. Cycle 10-12 hrs per week pre & post operation.

Latest posts

Back