High INR reading today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina

My doctor's office called yesterday for me to come in for a PT test in THEIR office. The doctor does not trust my machine.
I was unable to come into his office so I went to the lab instead, and did my own test within 30 minutes afterwards.
My machine tested 3.2, and the lab results came back as 4.9.
That is too high I realize that, so he wants me to skip the Coumadin for 48 hours.

Has anyone had this before that the lab results are so far from the machine's results? I seem to remember someone commenting on this, but I forgot who it was.
I have not experienced this before. It's always been a bit off from the lab results, (about .2 /up usually) but not this far off.
Many things could have interfered though. Before I went to the lab I had had no vitamine K in my diet yet this morning until after the test. By then it was past lunch time. Plus I was outdoors and in the sun all morning and I read that that does something to the INR as well.

I would like your input, because he wants me to get rid of the machine. Well, before I'd do that I am going to get rid of him first.
I've had problems with this guy from the start.

Christina

Hi Christina,

I have taken my Protime Unit to the lab and tested myself right after the lab draw. I have also taken my unit to the doctor's office when they have drawn a test there. My own results were within .1 both times. You have to make sure that the base they use is the same as your unit. I forget what the technical name is, but the ProTime unit has it on it, and it is = to 1.

Do you have the ProTime Unit? I do know that some units recommend that you submit several samples so that the unit self calibrates itself before you test. If your unit is not a Protime, did you run the 2 samples? The ProTime is supposed to calibrate and analyse all in the one blood sample. That is why it takes more of a sample to complete the cycle.

Rob

Hi Rob.. Thanks for answering my post.
Yes, I have the Protime machine. I took my Pro time test within 30 minutes of the lab draw. I was told that's what I should do if I run the tests on the same day and want to compare the results.
I strongly believe that there was something wrong with the lab today, because this is so out of the ordinary for the Protime machine. I have NEVER been this far off like I said in my previous post.
I want to do another test tonight after I've had my normal dinner. Will let you know the results.

Christina

Hi Christina

Hang in there. I know it's disturbing.

In answer to your question.....my Coaguchek is usually .2 behind my cardiologists lab results. It has also shown .4.

You will get varying numbers regardless. But, they should not be more than .5 apart from the lab either way.

Before trashing your unit maybe you should call Protime and have them check it out. It is a machine after all. Could need some fine tuning.

Keep us posted.
Take care,

INR

INR

:)Christina,
I have my blood checked by a pharmacist that is trained in anti-coagulation with coumadin and he uses the Coagucheck. He preferred the Avosure but as you know that one is no longer available. Anyway, he said the finger prick machines are probably more reliable because there isn't any handling from person to person after a venous draw causing bruising of the platelets etc. He is very conscientious. My cardiologist is also getting a Coagucheck for his office in the fall so they must be doing something right.

to Gina... I am not going to trash my unit, as I don't think anything is wrong with the machine. I think it was the lab that made the errors.
This morning I spoke to one of the nurses at QAS and talked to her about yesterdays incident and she asked me lots of questions about how the blood was drawn. With what, like the butterfly, or the other, and if one or two viles were used to collect the blood. The first blood that is collected has to be discarded, and only the second vile of blood can be used for testing.
All of the above I had to answer negative. It was not done. I watch those nurses like a hawk. The nurse at QAS was super and volunteerd to talk to my doctor and explain to him all that was done wrong at the lab, and some other scientific stuff that is hard to explain as I am not technical at all.
So I hope to get a call from the office to go ahead and do another test at the lab this afternoon, and compare that with the Protime. I probably should take my machine there. That's a plan!

Take care!

Christina

Latest posts

Back