High INR and fatigue?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope it should not. Might want to have a BMP blood test and see if something else isn't out of wack.

Another thought is that some mechanical valves can chew up blood cells and lead to anemia. I tend to run borderline anemic. I go in on Tues. for my 6 mo. appt. and I'll be curious to see if I am now, because I have been getting rather tired lately and it doesn't feel like the heart-related kind of tired.

What therapeutic range are you going by? I am assuming for valve replacement, which should be 3.5 at the high end? I would contact your on call cardio, if possible, and see if they want you to skip your next dose or be seen. I am not sure where you live, but where I am located the area hospitals have a free nurse line where you call and ask advice of a on-call, so to speak, nurse about your symptoms to determine if you should go in to the doc or not.

lichelle said:
What therapeutic range are you going by? I am assuming for valve replacement, which should be 3.5 at the high end? I would contact your on call cardio, if possible, and see if they want you to skip your next dose or be seen. I am not sure where you live, but where I am located the area hospitals have a free nurse line where you call and ask advice of a on-call, so to speak, nurse about your symptoms to determine if you should go in to the doc or not.
Lichelle around here we don't skip doses for an INR of 4.5. Most of us drop like rocks missing just one, so unless it's 5.0, we just hold half a dose if that. Yeah, I know we aren't Doctors, but we are self dosers.

Karlynn said:
Another thought is that some mechanical valves can chew up blood cells and lead to anemia. I tend to run borderline anemic. I go in on Tues. for my 6 mo. appt. and I'll be curious to see if I am now, because I have been getting rather tired lately and it doesn't feel like the heart-related kind of tired.

I should also add that the newer mechanicals are not as bad about chewing up blood cells. My valve is almost 15 years old and progress has been made in that area since then.

I rarely, rarely would have any concern about an INR of 4.5.

Almost any bleed is preferable to almost any clot. If you skip a dose for an INR or 4.5, then you are saying, "I'd rather have a stroke than a nosebleed."

Thinking than an INR of 4.5 might make one feel tired probably means that someone told you that warfarin thins the blood. It does not change the viscosity of the blood, it slows the ability to form a clot.

Reguarding Fatigue

Reguarding Fatigue

I noticed that when my INR is high I do get tired also it could be that we migt be on the border of animiea I have a question my INR last week was 8.05 its now 6.5 we have reduced the dosages to 3 milgs mon tues wed thurs go to dr and check the level I hope it gets better i have had lots of trouble with this meds

Persianlady05 said:
I noticed that when my INR is high I do get tired also it could be that we migt be on the border of animiea I have a question my INR last week was 8.05 its now 6.5 we have reduced the dosages to 3 milgs mon tues wed thurs go to dr and check the level I hope it gets better i have had lots of trouble with this meds

It might be high because you're tired.

If you decrease your activity level without a corresponding decrease in warfarin dosage or changes in Rxes, foods, etc., your INR will no doubt increase. That's because the more active you are, the faster your body metabolizes warfarin/Coumadin and the lower your INR will be unless you increase your dosage; conversely, the less active you are, the slower your body metabolizes warfarin and the higher your INR, without a corresponding decrease in INR.

Latest posts

Back