High Heart Rate - Then Normal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich01

When I woke up this morning, I just didn't feel right. I haven't slept well the last 2 nights mainly because of severe arthritic pain in my legs and hips. I also had an unexplained sore throat for about 24 hours.

I used a finger monitor to check oxygen level and heart rate. Oxygen was 97 (fine), but heart rate was at least 146. Usually first thing in the morning it is in low 60's. I started getting ready to go to ER and took my BP med.

Checked hr again about 20 minutes later and it was 120. I left the monitor on and continued to monitor HR. Within a few minutes it was below 100 and then dropped into the 80s. When I checked BP it was under 120/80 and HR was 83.

This is frustrating. I had an echo a month after TAVR (Sept) and interventional cardiologist said good blood flow through the heart and new valve is working fine. I have been to ER once, seen a different cardiologist once, and seem my primary care doc, all since I had TAVR. None found a problem with heart.

Anyone have any guesses? I've got a call into PC doc, will probably call my cardiologist, but hoping you all can give me some things I can research. I want to get this fixed ASAP and not have to go through "try this and come back in a month".

ETA: HR still jumping around. Back up to 140's and then minutes later back to 80's. Cardiologist not available. At hospital. Waiting for nurse to call me back.

ETA: I have had some arthritic pain in the past, but nothing severe. I started having severe pain about a month ago. I have been taking Plavix for about 2 1/2 months and Norvasc (bp) about 1 month). I also take a very low dose of Crestor every other day.

Last edited:
I monitored BP and heart rate all day yesterday. BP stayed pretty consistent, but HR was all over the place. A few times during the day it dropped into the 50's and a couple of times got into the 160's. The more common pattern was to drop into the high 70's, low 80's and then up to the 140's, and repeat. Going from 80 to 140 happened in just a few minutes, same coming down. HR might stay at a specific point for as much as 30 minutes, but when it changed it happened quickly. If I hadn't been monitoring, there was nothing that indicated this was happening.

About 5 pm, the peak dropped to about 110, so high 70's to about 110 and repeat. I had trouble sleeping, so I checked my HR about 4 times during the night. At 6:30 am when I got up, it was 72 and the other readings were all in the 60's.

Hopefully this was a 2 day event and is over. In the other thread I said I had a sore throat and headache. They lasted about 24 hours, so that is resolved as well. Sure would like to know what triggered this.

@rich01 - If your data is accurate and the variation does not match anything you are doing physically, then you need to present this data to your doctor. You did share how you monitored this data nor what activity you were doing at times of change.

In the past, I monitored my BP and heart rate fairly often, and only a few times was I waring a doctor ordered heart monitor. I monitored this in an attempt to get data on the effect of taking a beta-blocker and get my BP under control.

I found the following:
1. The accuracy of wrist devices to track HR is questionable, at best. I even had questionable results wearing a chest strap tracking HR. The most accurate tracking device is the 24-hour heart, monitor you need an RX to get or an EKG, or just measuring your pulse manually. I initially tracked my blood pressure with a cuff and stethoscope and found I could not read it accurately so I purchased a digital device with a cuff and digital box that does what stethoscope does. The conclusion here is that the accuracy of monitoring one's BP or HR is not as simple as the wrist device vendors claim.
2. My BP was all over the place and varied by my position (sitting or standing), the timing of when I took my medication and when I exercised or if it was raining outside or not or not (that's a joke). The conclusion here is that one's BP varies.
2. My HR will change 30 points from sitting to standing or walking. It also changed 30 points if I did exercise (i.e. hiking, hand mowing grass, treadmill walking at 3.5 mph). The conclusion here is that HR changes with activity.
3. Beta-blocker (metoprolol), for me, puts my resting HR in the 45-50 range, standing in the 75 - 80 range, mild exercise in the 90 - 110 range. heavy exercise 110 - 120. Because of the metoprolol, it was very difficult to get my hr over 120 - even when I pushed myself to extreme exercise that my cardiologist said don't do (where I can't say a sentence without stopping to breath). The conclusion here is that beta-blocker medication can limit your HR from responding to your body's demand under heavy exercise. It took me two years before my cardiologist agreed that I could go off the beta-blocker medication. Of course, if I drop dead tomorrow playing pickleball or hiking a 14,000 ft mountain, one can argue the wisdom of me going off the beta-blocker.

I caution anybody, who is not trained as doctors are, to diagnosis their own heart issues due to data that could be questionable. If one has data or symptoms that concern them, talk to your doctor - that is why they make the big bucks. Also, make sure your question their conclusions, for they are humans also, and humans are not perfect. You may piss off your doctor for asking questions for many of them hate being challenged, but, it is your body and, today, you get one of them in each life.

Maybe a Holter monitor to record your heart rhythm for 24 hours would be a good idea.

Arrhythmia (for example atrial fibrillation or SVT) becomes more common if someone is unwell from something else, like infection.

A check up from your doctor sounds useful. Best wishes.

Thanks. For monitoring my heart rate, I used a pulse oximeter that measures oxygen and pulse. My BP monitor measures pulse/HR as well as BP. Several times I used both to ensure I was getting approximately the same HR on both, and I was. I'm not taking a beta blocker.

I could be sitting on the couch watching TV and my HR was going from 80 to 140 and back to 80. Yesterday I had to go pick up my trailer and I noticed that after some physical exertion my HR was about 90, which is where I would expect it to be.

I called my cardiologist 1st thing yesterday morning. The nurse was supposed to call me back but never did. Two days ago I sent a message to my integrative doctor through their portal and I have yet to hear back. Is that why they get paid the big bucks?

The cardiologist that did my TAVR just says the valve is working properly and there is good blood flow through the heart.

So that's why I am asking here. I'm not trying to treat myself, but obviously I need to do some research myself if I want to get things resolved quickly.

You sound like you are getting into "Brady/tachy" territory, where heart rate can go abnormally low or abnormally high, well outside the lines of the normal parameters expected with rest or exercise. The only way to properly assess this is, as others have said, to make sure your docs are aware of it, and ultimately to wear a monitor to get a full and accurate picture of this pattern. Happened to me 2 years ago as well. If the pattern recurs or becomes persistent, treatment options could include a beta blocker to limit the tachycardia and, if the bradycardia is a significant issue, a pacemaker to deal with that end of the spectrum. Or maybe just monitoring periodically to keep tabs on it if it isn't persistent. The key is getting it properly assessed. We're all certifiable geniuses in this forum, of course, but diagnosis over the internet by lay people, even those with lots of experience and knowledge, is no substitute for your medical team!

Rich, your symptoms sound similar to some events I had before and after my mitral valve replacement.

I developed atrial flutter (and occasionally short lived atrial fibrillation) as a result of the valve damage caused by endocarditis. I would have times where my heart rate would elevate to 150+ BPM for periods of time for. Sometimes for a few minutes, a few hours, or (rarely) a whole day. For those really long events, the hospital or ER would cardiovert me to reset normal rhythm.

After my valve replacement, the flutter sessions continued occasionally and my cardiologist referred me to an electrophysiologist for possible ablation. The EP explained that the heart compensated for my mitral valve insufficiency before my surgery and formed new, abnormal, electrical pathways that caused the flutter. The ablation, cauterized those pathways, preventing the abnormal signals. I had the procedure and it totally fixed the flutter. It's been over a year now and no abnormal rhythms. If your cardiologist thinks this may be your issue, then I highly recommend the ablation procedure. It's a relatively easy outpatient procedure with a very high success rate, and very low complication rate

I talked to the nurse late yesterday. She said if it happens again, come to the office and they will do an EKG right away.

What strikes me as strange is I first had the sore throat and headache Tuesday evening. The heart rate cycling might have started Wednesday, but I didn't take my heart rate enough times to tell for sure. I think I had 4 readings all day and nothing higher than mid 80's.

When I got up Thursday the sore throat was gone, but I felt "strange". That's what prompted me to check my heart rate. It was about 145, so I packed a bag in preparation to going to ER.

Over the next hour HR came down substantially so I called cardiologist office as soon as they opened, and I waited all day for nurse to call back. After many HR readings, I saw that it would drop down to the high 70's and then go up to 140's, and then back down again. Blood pressure stayed fairly constant the whole time at around 120/80. I got tired of sitting around, so went to pick up my trailer from the shop which took a couple of hours.

When I got back home, I noticed my heart rate was now maxing out around 110. Over the next few hours, it returned to normal and as far as I can tell, has stayed there.

It might be that I had a short lived virus that caused it. I loaded up on vitamin c, magnesium, and potassium, so maybe that's all it took to return things to normal. Just checked and it is 79 which is normal for this time of day.

One other thing I have noticed since TAVR. Sometimes my heart seems to beat harder, almost loud. The interventional cardiologist that did the procedure says several patients have noticed this. He said it either goes away or patients don't notice it after a while. I still have spells where my heart seems to beat harder than normal. Same heart rate, just beating harder. On the other hand, sometimes it is so quiet, I wonder if it is still beating!

When I woke up this morning, I just didn't feel right. I haven't slept well the last 2 nights mainly because of severe arthritic pain in my legs and hips. I also had an unexplained sore throat for about 24 hours.

I used a finger monitor to check oxygen level and heart rate. Oxygen was 97 (fine), but heart rate was at least 146. Usually first thing in the morning it is in low 60's. I started getting ready to go to ER and took my BP med.

Checked hr again about 20 minutes later and it was 120. I left the monitor on and continued to monitor HR. Within a few minutes it was below 100 and then dropped into the 80s. When I checked BP it was under 120/80 and HR was 83.

This is frustrating. I had an echo a month after TAVR (Sept) and interventional cardiologist said good blood flow through the heart and new valve is working fine. I have been to ER once, seen a different cardiologist once, and seem my primary care doc, all since I had TAVR. None found a problem with heart.

Anyone have any guesses? I've got a call into PC doc, will probably call my cardiologist, but hoping you all can give me some things I can research. I want to get this fixed ASAP and not have to go through "try this and come back in a month".

ETA: HR still jumping around. Back up to 140's and then minutes later back to 80's. Cardiologist not available. At hospital. Waiting for nurse to call me back.

ETA: I have had some arthritic pain in the past, but nothing severe. I started having severe pain about a month ago. I have been taking Plavix for about 2 1/2 months and Norvasc (bp) about 1 month). I also take a very low dose of Crestor every other day.
When you took the BP, you were excited and the BP was naturally up. As you relaxed, it went down. There is nothing to fix, just happens when one get nervous or excited for a few moments. it is good that you have it checked out with the doctor for peace of mind. Just find ways to relax to keep the BP down.

When you took the BP, you were excited and the BP was naturally up. As you relaxed, it went down. There is nothing to fix, just happens when one get nervous or excited for a few moments. it is good that you have it checked out with the doctor for peace of mind. Just find ways to relax to keep the BP down.
MY BP was fine. It was my heart rate that was high.

I have been tracking my heart rate and blood pressure for over 5 years, so I know what my normal pattern is. This was something I have never seen before.

MY BP was fine. It was my heart rate that was high.

I have been tracking my heart rate and blood pressure for over 5 years, so I know what my normal pattern is. This was something I have never seen before.
When you get excited or move in bed, your heart rate will increase. Seems you are perhaps too worried about having a stroke or heart attack by monitoring your heart rate and BP too often. I never worry about what can happen, just I live life as it happens. If I am to have a stroke, which I did almost two years ago, it will happen, no matter what. Also heart attacks will just happen also. Worrying about them constantly is no life at all. Just calm down and rest. No more constant monitoring of the BP and Heartbeats. Just relax and enjoy what life has to offer.

Last night I decided to order a step counter. I haven't been getting enough walking in and hoped this might help motivate me.

When I looked on Amazon, I found that smart watches have taken over that market. I ordered one (<$35) that is a 24 hour continuous Heart rate and Blood pressure monitor, Sleep monitor, Pedometer, Calorie counter, and Step counter. You can download the data to a smart phone.

I hope to use it to track trends and will be able to see if my heart rate starts spiking again. Even if a specific measurement is not accurate, hopefully the trend will be.

Rating with 136 customer reviews is 4.8. I've learned to be suspect of Amazon reviews, but I find when there are over 60 there are usually some honest reviews mixed in.

When you get excited or move in bed, your heart rate will increase. Seems you are perhaps too worried about having a stroke or heart attack by monitoring your heart rate and BP too often. I never worry about what can happen, just I live life as it happens. If I am to have a stroke, which I did almost two years ago, it will happen, no matter what. Also heart attacks will just happen also. Worrying about them constantly is no life at all. Just calm down and rest. No more constant monitoring of the BP and Heartbeats. Just relax and enjoy what life has to offer.
I don't think you read everything. My heart rate was going from 145 down to 70's and then back up to 145 in a matter of minutes and repeated for at least 12 hours and possibly longer.

I had a serious blood pressure problem about 5 years ago and doctors were useless at finding the cause. I got tired of going to ER just to be given another prescription. Doctors just kept prescribing more and more drugs that didn't help. I started monitoring my BP looking for trends. I found that after eating saturated fat, I would have a stroke level spike in BP that would last from about 5 pm to 1 am. I later was able to confirm through genetic testing that I have several SNPs indicating a problem digesting and metabolizing saturated fat.

I am 99% sure this is also what caused my heart problem. Once I changed my diet to minimize saturated fat consumption, my BP normalized, cholesterol normalized, and inflammation went to extremely low levels. Unfortunately, the damage was already done before I found the problem and changed my diet.

I have found that monitoring my BP keeps me honest. Whenever I see my BP going up, I know I have let too much saturated fat back into my diet. I use the finger monitor sometimes to check HR rate because I have found that my BP and HR rate often move in unison, and it is much easier to use the finger monitor than the BP cuff.

Last edited:
I'm also looking for something I can wear for, say an entire day, and download HR data. I want a device that continuously samples and records heart beats vs averaging HR over the course of 5-10sec (which my apple watch seems to do). Sometimes when it's quiet (and also when I'm laying on my chest..??) I hear 4 quick On-X valve clicks ... just want to know what is happening over the course of a day.

I don't think you read everything. My heart rate was going from 145 down to 70's and then back up to 145 in a matter of minutes and repeated for at least 12 hours and possibly longer.

I had a serious blood pressure problem about 5 years ago and doctors were useless at finding the cause. I got tired of going to ER just to be given another prescription. Doctors just kept prescribing more and more drugs that didn't help. I started monitoring my BP looking for trends. I found that after eating saturated fat, I would have a stroke level spike in BP that would last from about 5 pm to 1 am. I later was able to confirm through genetic testing that I have several SNPs indicating a problem digesting and metabolizing saturated fat.

I am 99% sure this is also what caused my heart problem. Once I changed my diet to minimize saturated fat consumption, my BP normalized, cholesterol normalized, and inflammation went to extremely low levels. Unfortunately, the damage was already done before I found the problem and changed my diet.

I have found that monitoring my BP keeps me honest. Whenever I see my BP going up, I know I have let too much saturated fat back into my diet. I use the finger monitor sometimes to check HR rate because I have found that my BP and HR rate often move in unison, and it is much easier to use the finger monitor than the BP cuff.
I did read your entire post. Please talk to your cardio about the heart rate. It is better to get a doctor's advice when making changes to your diet, which can affect your health. Please go to your doctor and make sure this is a right course to take.

I did read your entire post. Please talk to your cardio about the heart rate. It is better to get a doctor's advice when making changes to your diet, which can affect your health. Please go to your doctor and make sure this is a right course to take.
I already discussed with the nurse. The cardiologist is on Thanksgiving vacation. The nurse notified the front desk that if I come in, she has approved me for an ekg. That they need to see me when my heart rate is fluctuating from high to normal. She didn't think they would find anything running tests when hr was normal.

Show me a cardiologist that knows the 1st thing about diet.

Rich, I hope your HR is calming down. I'm glad she has you approved for an EKG, if you need to dart over there. Those have been some wide swings...

Latest posts

Back