High elevations for an AV stenosis / regurgitation patient

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plsflgood

My 75yo mom has been DXed with AV stenosis and regurgitation, but she is procrastinating with the surgery because she does not have clear symptoms like fatigue, fainting, difficulty catching breath, and she can walk long distances (2 miles). She does have symptoms of some congestive heart failure, though, like edema. She would like to take a few days trip with my dad, to places about 7000 - 8000 ft above the sea level. I am wondering if it is acceptable in her condition, or would make it worse.

It won't make the stenosis worse, but she may have difficulty breathing when she walks around. Maybe it would open her eyes to the danger. While there is risk from the surgery, there is also a link between how good a shape the heart is in at the time of the surgery and how well and how quickly she will recover. Of course, there is no recourse for someone who waits too long, and htere may come a point in time when her cardiologists says her heart and general condition makes her an unacceptable risk for surgery.

You could look into catheter-placed valves.

Best wishes,

> You could look into catheter-placed valve

Thanks for your reply. She has been told that she is not high enough risk to have the catheter-placed valve. Is there a clinic where we could choose this type of surgery ourselves ? Her kidneys are not in a great shape, so she may benefit from it.

Latest posts

Back