High blood pressure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

phil d

I am nearly 3 weeks post op and my scar is healing well apart from a small hole that is weeping at the very top. I decided to visit my doctor today to see if i needed anti biotics. My doctor prescribed penicillen, but was unsure as to whether it would affect my INR. She said that because it was just a one week course that it should be safe to take. My blood pressure was taken and it was found to be 160/ 115. She was concerned about it being so high and decided to double my dose of Ace inhibitor to 4 mg. So
1. Is 160/115 dangerously high.
2. Will penicillen affect my INR
Thanks in advance for your support
Phil

Any consistent BP reading over 135/80 can be harmful. But you were at the doc, and mine is typically higher than at home. Get a good BP cuff and take it at home after resting between 5-10 minutes.

Hi Phil,

I'd agree with Tom about your BP being higher at the doctor's than it normally is but also it may be a good idea to buy a home monitor. The one Jim's got (and which our doctors use) is the A&D UA-767 which you can buy here among other places:
http://www.medisave.co.uk/blood-pressure-digital-bp-monitors-c-50_56.html
(there are also other types on that page).

Not sure about penicillin/warfarin interaction - but I thought I'd mention Jim had a similar problem (which unfortunately went untreated for way longer than yours) and he needed an antibiotic cream to clear it up - the pills had no effect. However yours has been spotted earlier so hopefully the pills will work. Hope everything's going well otherwise :) .

Gemma.

Yes, it possibly could affect your inr. It is in anitbotics as well. So when you get the next inr done, mention the penicillen to the nurse. It might make a difference in your dosage. Good luck.

Back