Hi? :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamwarrior13

Not sure where or how to do this as I'm not usually much of a forum kinda gal, but I felt like I should introduce myself somehow before just running around replying to people and stuff. So... hello!

My name is Kim. To make a rather long story short, I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve, which my doctors detected when I was about five years old. Being too young at the time to understand, I was told I had a "sticky heart valve" that made my heart sound funny to doctors but was otherwise harmless. Fast forward almost twenty years ahead to October 2014, when I started feeling wrong somehow. I had anxiety-like symptoms, including near panic attacks and air hunger, and honestly worried I was developing a panic disorder. I'd just moved the year before so I hadn't bother to find a new doctor until the symptoms appeared. When I found one, he sent me to a cardiologist -- the first I'd seen in many, many years -- who found my valve was leaking badly and my ascending aorta and root were dilated.

My condition was (finally) explained to me, as was the fact that I needed surgery pronto, and in the end I chose to get the On-X mechanical valve, hoping never to need heart surgery again. After a very long December I had a successful surgery in January, which I recovered from (and in some ways am still recovering from) without any major complications so far -- knock on wood.

And here we are today. I started a blog not long ago about living with a mechanical heart valve -- figured I'd put my experience to good use -- and recently thought it might be also helpful for me and for others if I also joined this here forum, which I probably scanned through several dozen times while waiting anxiously for my surgery.

So, yeah. Hi. :)

Welcome Kim, you're in good company in here. Even though you're on the other side of surgery already it's great that you can share your experience now with others who are still awaiting surgery. Congratulation on your successful and continued recovery. I'm only 8 weeks out of surgery, feeling almost myself again, still trying to level out my INR.

Greetings Kim and welcome!

Thank you for your story and for the inspiration.

The heart may be a lonely hunter, but the hearts here at VRO seem filled with a great generosity of spirit, yours being no exception.

Was just looking at your wonderful websites. A great read and a great help. Look forward to reading more.

Best from London.

Welcome, Kim. This forum was started as a list-serve by a young man looking for others who were facing/had faced the valve replacement experience. It seems your blog shows the same impulse to help and share.

Hi Kim and welcome !
I'm in the waiting room for aorta and mitral valve replacement Machanical eta December 2015
Thank you for sharing your experience and l will check out your blog! Thx u

Latest posts

Back