hi

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

I have a question about coumadin. I have an upcoming valve replacement, and haven't decided whether or not to have a tissue valve or a mechanical valve. I am 23 and lead a very active life. The only thing that I am wondering is...what if I end up getting injured? What if I bruise? Will I stop bleeding? I was just wondering.
Thanks!:rolleyes: :eek:

Hi Joy..

I am having no problem with the Coumadin so far. I don't believe I bruise much more than before. It has taken me quite a while to get the INR stable, but I've been on my own for the past two weeks, and by golly I think I am doing much better without the doctor.
I have not had a serious bleed so far and am pretty active for my age (54). I work outdoors but am also careful not to get hurt. I don't do any contact sports that would get me in trouble. I only weight train in my garage and run/walk the treadmill. Pretty boring maybe but I have never done much in contact sports, only ice skating, and that was quite a while ago. Am not interested in that anylonger as I like the sun much better than all that ice.

I see you are only 23. You might reconsider the Coumadin thing if you want kids in your future. Maybe others can help you in that area.

Many good wishes coming your way.

Christina:eek: :eek:

Hi Joy-

Joe's been on Coumadin for 24 years. He's never had a serious bleed and his bruises heal faster than mine. I also bruise more. So go figure that one!

I think most people will agree that if you test when you're supposed to, take the dosages correctly and at the same time every day, evening is best and don't forget or double dose by accident, you'll be just fine. Most everyone on this site is active.

Decisions, decisions;
And this is a real big one. On one hand, the tissue valve will probably have to be replaced, you're young and they don't last forever. Will they be able to do a non-invasive replacement? Maybe not for this one, but in a few years, who knows?
On the other hand, there's the mechanical valve with a life on Coumadin which does not at all go with an active lifestyle. Will the new group of anti-coag drugs inhibit excessive bleeding? Don't know yet.
They say they gave me the choice in the Hospital and recommended, because of my age, the mechanical valve. I don't remember anybody asking that question. I was probably too wacked out to do any decision making.
I can sympathise with you on this decision. I was a very active Scuba Diver, Qualified Rescue Diver going for Dive Master. That all went flying out the window and got me totally depressed. But....., Will the new drugs allow me to get back into the swim? I just stopped myself from flinging my equipment in the garbage in anger. Who knows what's going to happed? The scientists, God bless them are coming up with new medicines/procedures at a really rapid pace. Maybe soon we can all just take our medicine and forget we have valve problems.
If I were you, I'd ask your Cardio Doctor, just what he sees in the near future, then talk to another one. This is a real important decision.
Make a good one,
Icarus (Rich)

Latest posts

Back