Hi Everyone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradvo

I'd like to introduce myself.
My name is Brad, I'm 55 YO and recently discovered I have a bad aortic valve
that is coming out soon. Surgery is set for Nov.3.
I knew I had some serious issues and am happy that it has come to surface.
I'd be lying to say I'm not scared, and excited both at the same time.
The path I'm currently on is difficult with being so winded and weak.
I'm looking forward to feeling 10 years younger.
I have some questions but will also spend some time looking at all your questions ans advice to see if I see similarity's.

I also would like to post a rather long post of how and what I have been feeling for the past few years if interested . Maybe some can relate or not ?
thanks, looking forward to sharing with you all.

Oh forgot, my surgery will take place in Tacoma Wa. at Tacoma General, Dr Gravae will be doing the procedure. I met him and he helped comfort me about this operation.

Welcome bradvo!
Your surgery is on my sister's birthday so I'll be thinking about you and sending healing vibes your way. Feel free to post all your questions and concerns, these guys are great! I had my aortic valve replaced in Victoria back in April so I can certainly relate to how you are feeling and there are many on here who are or have been in the same boat.
Nows the time to do some relaxing in prep for surgery.
Good luck and post away :D

Thank you piglet, I've little time to prepare myself for this , I'm really happy to have found this site.
My social activities are mainly boating , so I've been posting on those type of message boards.
Not the best places to discuss heart valves, so I began to google looking for message boards that primary
involve heart issues and stumbled onto this place.
I could not be happier to have found everyone to share and listen.

I have read other posters who have stated they entered the waiting room, I feel like I have entered with one foot
in the operating room. This is going so fast.

I have some questions concerning pain I have felt that I will start a new thread on.
thanks again for the warm welcome.
Brad

Brad, I am LUCKY and glad I am ...so much for us to live for and so much to do......I have a whole new set of parameters and "new normals" to live wth and by but also new in my life is one daughter-in-law and two more grand daughters just remember I am the exception rather than the rule ....so follow doctors orders and nurses instructions they are in your corner

Hi Bradvo:

I'm new to this forum as well. I'm 56 years old and just had my aortic valve replaced on 10/3. I was pretty nervous about my surgery too, but I know now that it was the right thing to do. This is a great group, I think you will find both the support and answers you are looking for. Best of luck to you. I'll be thinking of you on the 3rd!

Laura

Welcome Bradvo
I also just had my aorta valve replaced on September 26 2011 in London Ontario. I know the questions and fears we have all had going into it but be rest assured it is amazing how talented all these people are that you are about to meet. This is a great site to learn and find comfort. Also Greg A is amazing and thanks to him he made my journey a more relaxing one. Im sure you are in good hands, take it slow and just remember where you are now because that will all be behind you after the surgery. will be praying for you.

Welcome Bradvo,

I just had my AVR done 10/17. I found this site last fall and I think you will find it an invaluable resource for both information and support as I have. Even though I just went through the actual surgery, it's hard to believe it actually happened -- I am noticing a difference already and felling better as each day goes by.

Dan

Hi brad. Am a tad older & female but story verrrry similar. I hv a lot going in I'm my life & have the opportunity of
Holding off till feb 2012. What I have learned is to NEVER stop asking questions. I am naturally inquizative so it's
Pretty easy for me. I too am excited about feeling better - getting back to my normal energy
This forum has been very helpful as has Adam pick.s book "heart patients guide to heart valve surgery.
, Highly rec it (amazon). Was very helpful. Good luck to you & keep us all posted. We re all in the same boat

Best wishes. Nancy Jane.

Nancy Jane. Avr coming soon

Nancy Jane. Avr coming soon

Hi all. While I will be the recipient in feb. your notes on this forum are invaluable. I'm glad I have a 3 mo riun up. I have done a lot of due diligence & so glad I have. Keep up the good work & hope everyone will stay in touch & be there for me as well. Best. Nancy have

Hi all. New to this too - and having a little challenge navigating around. I guess we can put our surgery date on the calendar ? I have a very busy travel schedule thru January & dr say that should be ok - but watch for any of the obvious symptoms So am looking to a feb - which is heart month - for new avr & am very excited & looking forward to feeling my old - better more vigorous self. Your words & help have been great. Thx so much
(deciding between 2 very excellent doctors ) Any words on decision making processes ??
St louis mo. Nancy Jane

Hi Nancy, Sorry I cannot be much help to your questions concerning your decision making concerning doctor, but would love to hear about obvious symptoms
if you care to share.
Brad

Hi Brad, welcome to a great site where we share everything, even questions. Never be afraid to share fears and anger about anything. Preparing for surgery can be very frustrating and fearful at the same time. One more person is always welcomed. Thanks and share experiences and knowledge with us all. Thanks for joining and hugs for today.

Hi Brad, welcome to a great site where we share everything, even questions. Never be afraid to share fears and anger about anything. Preparing for surgery can be very frustrating and fearful at the same time. One more person is always welcomed. Thanks and share experiences and knowledge with us all. Thanks for joining and hugs for today.

Thank you, yes the wait is brutal.
pre-op screen tomorrow, oh boy!! Been writing things down for my wife,little things to help her along, just in case.

After you recover, you very well may feel 20 years younger. Best wishes!

Hello from just a "few miles" down the I-5. :biggrin2:

You sound great! Things are happening fast. Hope your wife has some support network, too, because it is very stressful for those who have to wait while you are sleeping through surgery!

The pain should be quite manageable. Don't know if you started that other thread. There is a pain killer that is somehow also has the ability to make you forget the pain. I'm sure your surgeon will know which one. I'm sure that's one I got because honestly, I either don't remember very much about the first piece of my wakefulness, or I just had great pain management!

Mostly you will be so tired you will almost laugh at yourself. It all improves day by day, but it is remarkable how weak you are for the first few days recovering. That said, it is also remarkable that most of us were up and walking by day 2. Modern medicine is amazing.

Please become educated about which valve your surgeon is recommending you use. Your choice of valve is very important and very personal. Your age puts you on the borderline for choosing tissue (bovine or porcine) or mechanical. You will want to learn the differences as best you can before you sign off on which one to use.

It's a lot to digest. Trust your doctors -- they are excellent!!

Good wishes to you.

Marguerite

Good morning Margurerite and fellow PNW'tener.
Thanks for sharing, I'll ask about meds today, I am going in for pre op screening in a couple hours.
I have chosen the on-x valve for myself, based on age. Not a lot of time to investigate but from what I have read I think it
is a good fit for me .
I do not want this surgery again, also I would like to give a try to get off the coumidin and be an aspirn and plavix patient.
Thank you for the good wishes.

Brad

Good morning Margurerite and fellow PNW'tener.
Thanks for sharing, I'll ask about meds today, I am going in for pre op screening in a couple hours.
I have chosen the on-x valve for myself, based on age. Not a lot of time to investigate but from what I have read I think it
is a good fit for me .
I do not want this surgery again, also I would like to give a try to get off the coumidin and be an aspirn and plavix patient.
Thank you for the good wishes.

Brad

The ON-X is a good valve, however I wanted to mention unless you are in the trials, chances are you'll be on Coumadin for a few years at least, and also wanted to say some people actually prefer Coumadin to Plavix and there is a percentage of people who can't take plavix.

Back