Hi everyone from England

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have a concern as to whether or not he's more likely to get an aneurysm even though he doesn't have a BAV as there's still debate regarding whether the flow dynamics of the valve help causing aneurysm or if it's more genetically related to the tissue composition.

I don't think it's likely. I lean towards the argument that the aneurism is genetic, because even after the turbulent flow is significantly reduced with valve replacement, many BAV folks go on to develop aortic aneurism. But, the gene or combination of genes that cause BAV tend to come as a package with the gene(s) that cause the aortic tissue to be susceptible to aneurism and, since he avoided the BAV gene, he likely also has avoided the aneurism gene. Still, it would be a good idea to have it checked periodically for him as a precaution.

He did very well to make it that long. When I was diagnosed with BAV they suggested that all of my immediate family members get echos, as there is about a 10% statistical chance they they would also have BAV. I'm curious if they have the same practice in the UK? Was your diagnoses what triggered them to perform his echo?
nope. my dad caught covid just after xmas this year and ended up in hospital with covid pneumonia. the heart problem was identified by a doctor looking at his chest x-ray

i have been advised by the heart consultants to ask my immediate family to have their hearts checked out (which i've done)

Back