Hi Bill and thanks,

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paula (in Finland)

you are absolutely right I forgot to put Celcius to define those temperatures in my previous thread. Your table was very clear I just didn't remember that metric system is not in use everywhere. We in Finland belong to the rest of the world so we are using kilometers instead of miles etc?

I love to hear that you are doing so well just 10 days post-op.

Paula

Oh, Thank you Paula,

I am very fortunate to be recovering so well and so quickly. It is due to the help I have gotten here at valvereplacement.com and all the wonderful folks here. They helped remove much of the fear, I was suffering.

I would have liked to consider the Ross procedure. My age (59) and weight (120 kg) are both outside the limits many surgeons like and I don't think most surgeons near me would be doing RP anyway.. I was not willing to go through the trouble and inconcienence of seeking surgery far remote from my home. We may not have national health insurance but we are limited by what our insurance supports in the local market.

My pet peeve has always been the unwillingness of the USA to get with the Metric system. Medical and scientific communities seem to have gone part way. Many doses and measures are Metric but body temperature is still expressed in English. Most of our schools teach the metric system so it will probably be 2 or 3 generations before it is more common here.

The problem is not learning the system(it is really a much simpler and more straight forward system) it is the translation back and forth. Most who grew up learning English system think Metric is harder but the reason is trying to convert back and forth, not operating in Metric only.

In the 1970's I was president of a manufacturing company here in the US and imported a lot of steel from Canada and Japan where their standard sizes were metric but of course those companys would produce to the English system standards for this market(money talks and that is why we can continue to demand special treatment for our silliness).

I proposed to my board of directors that our company go ahead and adopt the metric system since the US was soon to go on that standard(in fact it was ordered back then that the US be metric in about 10 years, but you see we still are not there yet). My bosses came close to firing me for that little suggestion, some thought it proved their concerns. I was too you and too much a rebel to run the company. Well, I lost the battle, it was not worth the fight.

Wow, what I just did is called "getting up on a soap box", making a point in any crowd that will listen. Sorry for the outburst.

You will do well with your surgery and we will all be here cheering you on. I know you will be on our calendar and get many well wishes.

Best wishes,

Bill

Paula,

It appears to me that all the measures of our heart function from echo etc are in metric. As I mentioned most medical and scientific stuff has gone to metric measure.

Bill

hey bill!
i grew up using metric andmoved to the us when i was 13 and had to learn "inches and feet".
i agree, metric is very simple, but converting from metric to american is a headache! i still struggle with the american system and was not the one to help my kids with that end of their homework! unfortunately, they say they "teach" metric in our schools, but i find it more to be "introduce" the kids to the metric system.
sorry to rattle off on this.... thought i'd just confirm your findings..
so great to hear you sounding so well so soon after your surgery. keep it up and i wish you a continued smooth recovery.
stay well, sylvia

I remember back when I was in grade school

I remember back when I was in grade school

the teachers told us we had to learn the metric system, because that's what we'd be using by the time we were adults!

Well, that was over 30 years ago, and my oldest 3 children have all graduated from H. S.-- probably not learning any more about it than I did- as Sylvia said, they "introduce" it.

This year, my baby started kindergarten---I know, I know, I've got a grandson due in Jan, and am just starting over with a Kindergartener!! But mayb she or perhaps the grandbaby will learn metric in school.... I won't hold my breath though!

Back