Hi all

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

Just checking in. For those of you who remember me, Jill's doing great after about two years. Her valve repair held up during her second pregnancy (only trace regurgitation).

Our son Colin turns three on Monday. Celia is six months old. We're looking forward to a busy holiday season. Hope this finds everyone well.

attachment.php

Thanks for dropping in. I'm glad to hear your family is doing well. Your story of "normal" life after OHS will be an inspiration to those in the waiting room so thanks for sharing.

I was excited to see your name pop up this morning. And was hoping you'd show us a picture of the little ones - after all, we remember them when they were eggs and just look at them now. How proud you and Jill must be. Thank you so much for stopping in to let us know that Jill is doing so well and to let us see the children. Oh, and that you are ok, too.

We sometimes have parents come in that we can refer your story. Pregnancy is so iffy in valve replacement and you are a fine reference.

Christian,

So good to hear from you. Thank you for the beautiful photo of your precious family. How proud, grateful ad happy you all must be.

Wishing you all the best.

Glad to hear that everything is going so well. BEAUTIFUL children!!!

The picture of Celia and Colin is great! Your family has been blessed.:) I'm glad you stopped by so we could share in your happiness.

CHRISTIAN!!!

So good to see you post! Very glad that things are going well.

I'm sorry I didn't get to see you this past August; I wasn't able to go to the family reunion ... thus, I wasn't in the Pittsburgh area. If things go well, though, I'll be in that area twice next year ... in June and August.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Simple little things are the miracle cures" ... Neal McCoy ... 'Wink'

*grins*

AWESOME!

I look forward to seeing you all again in 2008 :).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Traveled down the road and back again" ... Andrew Gold ... 'Thank You For Being A Friend'

Just Wanted to Share My Experiences...

Just Wanted to Share My Experiences...

Dear group,
At the urging of my husband, I am posting on this support group. I see that there has not been a lot of action on this site, and I'm not sure why. My husband's OHS was one of the most terrifying experiences we have ever had to endure. It's true that he was the one who had to have the surgery and the recovery. He was also unconscious during the very worst of it (Thank God) and did not have to deal with signing organ donation forms, etc, in case he didn't make it. As a physician, I actually knew most of what was happening, but it was almost surreal. I watched as my husband struggled for breath, had a Swan-Ganz catheter inserted, and was intubated. Granted, these are things that most families don't get to see, and probably for good reason. Who wants to have these images as the last ones of the person you love? Yet, I couldn't help myself. I hadn't thought about what open heart surgery actually meant until he had to undergo it. It still bothers me in the pit of my stomach to think about the specifics- the cooling off, the bypass, and then stopping the heart. My husband looked so bad when he came out of surgery that the intensivist had to reassure me . Once again, people don't normally get to see their loved ones right after surgery, and this is probably for the best. Due to my unique position as a physician in a sister hospital, I was allowed to see him right out of the OR. I had to touch him to reassure myself that he was alive and warm. Images of him at this stage still haunt my dreams and even now I sometimes see him in my head when I hear the whirring of helicopter blades at our hospital.
My husband recovered quickly and actually surprised himself. He went from near death to discharge home in 8 days. His experience was slightly different than a lot of folks in that he had a sudden rupture of the chordae, followed by a flail valve, congestive heart failure, and respiratory failure. There was no warning. Fortunately, he was able to have the posterior valve repaired, so no need for coumadin. We had no preparation for this at all. He was the model patient, however. He was more studly than he knew.
In a weird sort of way, this has brought us closer together. It seems that we get to know each other best when one of us needs surgery. My mother-in-law took care of our kids while he recovered. We were alone (well, as alone as you can be in a hospital) for 8 days. Once he was extubated, we could talk. We got to know each other a lot better, and saw that we loved each other more than we knew.
Well, there is a lot more, but I want to hear from others about their experiences.
Thanks for listening.
Still recovering from the fallout in Idaho,
Laura

Thanks for sharing your experience, Laura. In my case, I was the patient but your experience mirrors how my wife described it. I was asympotomatice (no symptoms) when I had my OHS. I even drove the one hour drive to the hospital the day of my surgery. My wife said I was perfectly fine when they rolled me off to surgery and then the next time she saw me I was a mess....pale, cold, tubes and wires all over the place, etc. The first day in ICU I could barely move or talk. I still looked pale and "sick". The next day, my wife came back to the hospital and she said the difference was day and night. Although still in pain and still lots of tubes and wires, my colour was back and I seemed morer "alive". I week later I was home. OHS is an amazing adventure, one neither of us will soon forget. Best wishes.

there were shadow figures when I was sent to ICU and I remember one of them vividly. I opened my eyes and stared into the eyes of another pair of eyes just above me - filled with tears. It was my beloved son who had traveled to be with me through it all. All those tubes must have been a great shock to him - they were to me! We should try to tell our family members that they will have a memory to live with when they see us right after surgery - we used to tell them but haven't seen it in some time.

Ross, you think this thread needs a title of its own? Altho when we see Christian's name, we know we are all going to check it out if just to check the babies. :p

Like most paitents I remember very little ( thankfully ) what I do recall is waking in ICU and seeing my wonderful husband Bill at my side and him telling me I was going to be OK.
It must have been real tough for him as he is uncomfortable with hospitals but he was there for me.

The Power of Love !!!

cheers

Jan

Hi Laura, Welcome, I haven't had to go thru my husband having surgery, but my son (who will be 20 on the 12th) has been thru a few heart surgeries (the first when he was 10 days)and numerous complications and I can tell you it is like living a nightmare sometimes. In my case it does get better, but truthfully every now and then, I can go right back to the feeling when we got some of the bad news and it felt like I was punched in the stomach, it's weird different things that set the feeling off, like a smell or sound. Some people find it helps to talk about how it feels and what they went thru, but I tended to do much better just writng in a journel. Especially in the beginning. I'm glad you decided to post. there are alot of good people here, Lyn

Latest posts

Back