Here I am again with ??S

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MNmom

Hi there, sorry its been so long but I started back to work (school psych) and kids have been in piano, dance, and football, and Im also teaching sunday school, and I am back at the gym now at the time I used to be on the computer. SO anyway, I have a question that I thought of after seeing another post that mentioned antibiotics.
I am having a small procedure on Monday- removing some excess skin from the end of a tummy incision (different surgery of course) and my cardio and surgeon said it is small enough that I wont need to go off coumadin-yeah! My cardio said I wouldnt need antibiotics, but my surgeon wants me to take them just to be extra cautious in preventing infection. I am to take them the day prior to the procedure.
Did I read somewhere that antibiotics may raise INR? In that case I could be dealing with extra blood with the procedure. So what is better - being extra safe that I dont get an infection or being safe that I dont raise my INR too much with antibiotics? My gut says to go ahead and take the antibiotic- I am going to get stitches- the bleeding shouldnt be too bad...
THoughts/advice?
Thanks everyone!
Ingrid

It depends on what antibiotic is used and actually, for one mega dose, it's not going to make much of a difference. It's a nonissue.

Good question.
My first thought was yes you should just to be safe. Hospital or doctor surroundings anything is possible - cleanliness that is. I wouldn't worry about my INR going up a little. Don't fret and good luck.

Many (most?) of us take an Oral AntiBiotic for Dental Procedures (including / especially Cleanings). Amoxicillin is the most common with Azithromycin and some others I have forgotten. This is usually prescribed as a single fairly large dose, taken ONE Hour before the procedure. There is usually NO noticable affect (i.e. NO Bleeding Issues) and it doesn't seem to show up on (monthly) INR tests.

A Foot Doctor told me he uses something else which is more effective on the bacteria more common on the foot (skin), so it would be prudent to ask the surgeon Which AntiBiotic would be most effective for your procedure. Then ask about specific interactions of that antibiotic with warfarin / Coumadin.

FWIW, I had a moderately large infected Cyst excised while fully anticoagulated. There was some bleeding (and some subsequent bleeding at dressing changes) which were dealt with by cauterizing and finally ONE stitch on a 'bleeder' that just wouldn't quit. A Pressure Bandage proved more effective than the typical gause and tape bandage.

My *guess* is that as long as the surgeon is able to control the bleeding locally, there should not be any problem. Hope this helps.

thanks again

thanks again

For answering my question and making me feel better. Everything has been going so well lately, I rarely even think about what just happened 3 months ago, except when stuff like this comes up.

Latest posts

Back