Herbal teas and INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lance

whereas I don't believe diet impacts INR something is amiss in my readings. The only change in my diet is non-caffeinated herbal and green tea. Maybe 6 cups a week. INR always in range just lower and then higher on the same long-time dose.
It's a puzzlement alright.

I've had unexplained changes in INR. Even finding a "new normal" dose. Most times I cruise between 2 to 2.5 with no change in dose for months. I had some weirdness 6 months ago with swings in my INR of no substantiated origin. My new normal was a decrease in my dose from 32mg/week to 31mg/week and I've been on target since. Who knows why it went whacko? When it changes, I found myself inventing reasons but with no real way to prove it one way or the other. I was once sure of a reason, then I proved it wrong :)

Personally, I think nobody really knows why, so I don't worry anymore. My range is 2-2.5 and I've been as low as 1.5 and as high as 3.2 with no bad effects. I believe calmness and regular home testing (every 2-4 weeks) is the best course of action. I only test more frequently if the swing is dramatic and then no more than once every 7-10 days.

Diet does affect your INR since it is the source of the coagulant. However there's a lot of misinformation about the subject. Alere provides out-dated or just incorrect advice about diet and INR with their inserts that come with test supplies. Moderation in all things is what I believe in.

That being said, I have a healthy disrespect for herbal teas for a variety of reasons. They are generally not well characterized as to what they contain. From some scientific studies I have personally worked on, not all herbal concoctions contain what they are supposed to or at the levels advertised.

Back