Hemolysis?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djacq

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
Just had my yearly cardio app't and now I have to have a hemolysis work up in case that is causing my low hemoglobin.

This is scary. Rare per Doc but no one can figure why I am so low with my hemoglobin (9.2) and it just won't go above 9.8.

I am not sure but I think the fear is that my St Judes is chopping up my RBCs!!??

I wonder what they do for that. Change valves? He didn't indicate that was a choice tho.

Also, he was not too happy I went to the hopital for a week of a heparin bridge and he would have preferred a lovenox bridge.

I had to have an echo today to make sure my valve survived the ordeal.

I think I will run everything by my cardio from now on.

My cardio was just voted the best cardio in RI.

I am praying to make minimal use of him.

Prayers are with you Nancy. You are in my thoughts everyday.

Donna

Hello, Donna,
What a scary thing you're going through. I can't offer any insight to this, but I'll be interested in reading your followups. My husband battled some severe anemia issues many years ago that were non-cardiac related so I can certainly understand. Are you worn out as he was? Best of luck to you as you and your doc seek answers.

Hi Donna-

Joe has hemolytic anemia from his two valves. No one ever suggested explanting his valves. He did go the transfusion route for a while, but they didn't work for long. He finally had a complete hematology workup. It took a while and a lot of studying by the hematologist. They then put him on Procrit injections 3 times per week, which I give him at home, they're subQ. It takes a while for these to work, as one of the hematologists (a woman) explained in a cute way, "because, it takes a few months for the blood cells to be born and grow up". His last hematology bloodwork was within normal ranges, and they have started stretching out his Hem. appts to 6 months now. He's been on Procrit for a year and a half. It started to work at about 3 months and kept getting better and better.

Ask about this, maybe it would work for you as well. Hemolytic anemia can cause trouble in other body systems, so it's important to get it under control, but you know that anyway.

By the way, one of his cardiologists who wasn't aware of the reason for the Procrit and thought that they would just take him off it. I thoroughly explained the long and winding road to going on Procrit, and that was enough of that nonsense. I would guess, he'll be on it for the rest of his life. He can still dip a little.

Also Procrit shots sting briefly. Fair warning.

Thank you Sherry,

I am sooo exhausted and perplexed as I thought having my valve replaced would reenergize me. I am realizing now, it is the anemia.

Wow, anemia can that knock you for a loop!

Always grateful to you Nancy for calming my worst fears. Today, I thought it was a dire event but now feel more secure in the fact there is treatment for it. I see my PCP this week and the blood work should be in next week.

Thanks again for the rapid reply and encouraging information.

Donna

Latest posts

Back