Help understanding CT Scan Results

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmprosser.lab

Hello all!

Recently had my CT scan results sent to me and I was hoping I could get some help understanding it.

Previously, an echo showed my aortic root was measured at 3.6(at the high end of normal/not yet considered an aneurism.) After the CT scan, My Cardio met with me and seemed not worried at all by the results, saying the test showed the "biggest part" of my ascending aorta measured 3.9 or 4 and that's borderline normal for me. But when I got the document, the tests results wording have me worried that the test was mostly ineffective and don't show if my aortic root measurement is stable since my echo 6 months ago.

I will just put some of the info down below and any help making sense of the measurements or wording would be great:

1. Cardiac pulsation artifact limits evaluation of the aorta at the level of the aortic root, aortic valve sinus and sinotubular junction.(**Is this much evaluation limitation common with CT scans? And is it a problem they couldn't tell if my aortic root grew or not in the last 6 months?)

2. There is no calcification of the aortic valve leaflets.(This sounds like good news? Is this the same as a calcium score?)

3. The mid ascending thoracic aorta at the level of the right pumonary artery measures 39.0 X 39.0(Is this pretty close to normal?)

4. There is also pulsation artifact within the distal ascending thoracic aorta somewhat limiting evaluation within the transverse plane, however measures 27.6mm in AP diamater. (Huh? is that normal?)

5. The thoracic aorta at the level of the arch between the bovine arch and left common carotid artery measures 22.8mm X 23.2mm

6. The mid descending thoracic aorta at the level of the pulmonary vein measures 21.0 X 22.2mm.

7. The descending thoracic aorta at the level of the hiatus measures 20.6 x 21.8 mm.

8. There is no pericardial effusion. (? Not sure what that means but it sounds good?)

9. There is bovine configuration of the great vessels of the aortic arch with common origins of the brachiocephalic and left common carotid artery.

10. No pathologically enlarged mediastinal, hilar or axillary lymph nodes are seen. The thyroid gland enhances homogeneously.

11. THe lungs are clear without pulmonary nodule, mass or focal airspace consolidation. There is no pleural effusion or pneumothorax. The trachea and main segmental bronchi are patent without endobronchial filling defects.

12. There is mild scoliosis of the upper thoracic spine. The osseous structures of the thorax otherwise appear unremarkable. ( Scoliosis? anything to worry about here?)

Any clarification would be awesome. Thanks in advance to any who lend some advice :)!

Josh

Hi

about to hit the sack ... it all looks good ... google the major terms, there is lots of descriptions available. However I will say:

Jmprosser.lab;n882118 said:
9. There is bovine configuration of the great vessels of the aortic arch with common origins of the brachiocephalic and left common carotid artery.

I have this too (I can't say if this means you're in good company or bad) ... its just the anatomic shape of the arteries coming out of the aortic arch (exactly like the words say). Its neither good nor bad .. it just is. We are all that little bit different ...

But it looks like a good report to me (expecially the calcification) on the point 12 ... see a physio or a chiropracter but depending on your age, if you lived in gravity you'll get that ... again google is your mate on those terms (you will eventually need to know them anyway)

night e night

Last edited:
Jmprosser.lab;n882118 said:
12. There is mild scoliosis of the upper thoracic spine. The osseous structures of the thorax otherwise appear unremarkable. ( Scoliosis? anything to worry about here?)
Hi Josh - Scoliosis is your spine has a bend which is sideways, ie a bit like an S, your's mildly. It is often something a person is born with, or rather grows that way due to genetic predispositio - my son has it quite noticeably without x-ray, but nothing needs to be done about it, though if he gets backache he could have physiotherapy as there will be muscle imbalances due to it. Key in scoliosis in google and you'll find photos of it and x-rays, but they'll only show the bad ones. It's only if it's very bad that it is important and that would have been seen without x-ray.

When they report CT scans or x-rays they report absolutley everything they see. Last week we found from an x-ray that my son has 'pectus' as well - I have that too, that is pectus excavatum - a depressed sternum - again something a person is born with, and again it's only if it's very bad that something is done about it. It did make a difference when I had AVR though as my aortic valve wasn't at the level the surgeon expected it to be due to this !

Last edited:
#2 is good news, but it is NOT the same as a calcium score. You can have pristine aortic valve leaflets and very calcified coronary arteries, or vice-versa.

Latest posts

Back