Help!! Surgery Tomorrow!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am having AVR surgery tomorrow at the Cleveland Clinic. I saw my surgeon today and was asked to participate in the Edwards Transform Trial. Based on what I have read on the EDWARDS INTUITY valve system consists of a bovine pericardial heart valve and novel balloon-expandable frame and is designed to facilitate small incision surgery and rapid valve deployment with the goal of enabling faster procedures (http://salesandmarketingnetwork.com/news_release.php?ID=2035335).

Are any of you familiar with this clinical trial? Any feedback/thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!!

Wow, that is a big decision to make on the eve of surgery.
It is too bad your surgeon didn't give you more time to think about it rather than mention it for the first time today.

I know nothing about this new valve and wouldn't pretend to offer any opinion.

Whatever you decide, all best wishes for successful surgery and easy, bump free recovery.

Thank you so much! I think he was waiting for my valve choice before telling me about the clinical trial, but it is a big decision to make in a short period of time!

Gosh, that is a bit much to ask you on the eve of surgery, I mean how can a patient make an informed decision like that ? Whatever you decide, wishing you the very best for your surgery and recovery !

Allison - I assume you may already be in surgery by now, so first things first...wishing you all the best and hope to hear soon of a smooth and steady recovery!

I couldn't agree more about the poor timing of this "option" and sure hope that it hasn't had any impact on your pre-surgery resolve. I was not familiar with this Edwards product/technique until your post, but did some brief research, and it appears that the valve and delivery system is already approved in Europe (CE Mark - February 2012), which seems to happen fairly often...FDA approvals lag a year or two behind. There was a trial for approval in Europe (TRITON) also so I would assume the surgeon is aware of the results and wouldn't be suggesting it unless he was both knowledgeable and also pretty confident in the results. I believe the valve may also include a new tissue treatment process (GLX).

So, either way, I hope that may be slightly more reassuring. Although, in my opinion, all of the data in the world (which this most certainly is not, this is still very limited) can only be so effective if patients aren't even given adequate time to review it! Plus, I think there is generally a reason FDA approval takes longer...it potentially may be more thorough and require a higher degree of certainty of outcomes (additional trial evidence in some cases). The FDA does actually publish a lot of their internal review materials, which point out any limitations in the available evidence, but I haven't been able to find any, and it may not even exist yet, since this is still only a trial here in the US.

Anyway, this was not at all a thorough research project, nor even the best sources, but in the short time I had, here a few articles I found with a little more info than you may already seen:

http://www.dicardiology.com/article/edwards-intuity-valve-receives-ce-mark
http://www.dicardiology.com/article/new-data-edwards-intuity-valve-demonstrate-promise-rapid-deployment-platform
http://www.edwards.com/newsroom/Pages/NR20120608.aspx

Most likely, you are in recovery by now.

I pray that all went well and as planned with your surgery. I will keep checking the board for an update from you or perhaps a member of your family.

Thoughts and prayers going out to you.

I just saw your post from yesterday, and I agree with what's been said. Unless there was a last-minute postponement, you are in recovery now, and I send you my best thoughts and prayers for a smooth recovery.

Cleveland Clinic is renowned for its cardiac care, so I would be reassured by that. Edwards and the bovine valve ring a bell with me as being well-rated but I don't know about the particular clinical trial you mentioned.

Sending you good vibes. Looking forward to hearing good news as you recover.

Back